Christchurch Boatbuilder Jack Pouncy 1930's

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Jack Pouncy was a real character, riding in MCC Classic Trials until he was 80, acting as a Marshal on events until he was 90. I knew him until his death as a fellow competitor, trial official and as a very knowledgable bloke.

He was born in 1902, was involved in motorcars and motorcycles all his life, attempted Brooklands long distance records and manufactured his own motorcycles under the 'Pouncy' name.

He became a boatbuilder in the early 1930's at Christchurch. From the wonderful book he wrote about his life " Jack's Memories of Wheels " in a very self depreciating style, published by John Aley the MCC President it is clear he built steel launches and cruisers up to 24 feet long, built Sharpie sailing dinghies and many canoes.

He navigated a 12 foot canoe from Dover to Calais and back. The return was made in a near gale.

Jack transported his 12 foot canoe by motorcycle and sidecar. On the return to Dorset from Dover the spokes in the sidecar wheel failed. Jack deviated to Aldershot where he knew the Archer family had a motorcycle shop. He knew Les Archer from Brooklands.

He was told to bugger off and get some lunch, they would deal with the sidecar wheel.

When he returned it was fixed. No bill, Les Archer told Jack " If you are stupid enough to cross the Channel twice in that thing, I'm stupid enough not to charge you! "

Anybody know any more about Jack Pouncy and his boatbuilding in Cristchurch?

Bouba

Visit site
Jack Pouncy was a real character, riding in MCC Classic Trials until he was 80, acting as a Marshal on events until he was 90. I knew him until his death as a fellow competitor, trial official and as a very knowledgable bloke.

He was born in 1902, was involved in motorcars and motorcycles all his life, attempted Brooklands long distance records and manufactured his own motorcycles under the 'Pouncy' name.

He became a boatbuilder in the early 1930's at Christchurch. From the wonderful book he wrote about his life " Jack's Memories of Wheels " in a very self depreciating style, published by John Aley the MCC President it is clear he built steel launches and cruisers up to 24 feet long, built Sharpie sailing dinghies and many canoes.

He navigated a 12 foot canoe from Dover to Calais and back. The return was made in a near gale.

Jack transported his 12 foot canoe by motorcycle and sidecar. On the return to Dorset from Dover the spokes in the sidecar wheel failed. Jack deviated to Aldershot where he knew the Archer family had a motorcycle shop. He knew Les Archer from Brooklands.

He was told to bugger off and get some lunch, they would deal with the sidecar wheel.

When he returned it was fixed. No bill, Les Archer told Jack " If you are stupid enough to cross the Channel twice in that thing, I'm stupid enough not to charge you! "

Anybody know any more about Jack Pouncy and his boatbuilding in Cristchurch?
Great story!

Other threads that may be of interest