Chinese mud sled

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I am currently rereading Blondie Hasler's biography. When he was involved in planning for irregular force raids in SE Asia they had a problem going ashore in very muddy areas, even worse than the East Coast. The book gives a full description of the sled that Blondie copie from the Chinese and the way that it was powered by something similar to ping pong paddles. I went searching for mud sleds and found lots of pictures but none powered by ping pong paddles. A person I know has mud boots that he uses to access his dinghy at low tide on the Medway so that he can get out to his boat. I was thinking how much more useful a sled might be on teh East Coast.

lenten

Visit site
if walking on mud use a bucket as a third "leg"----always keep 2 legs planted while you move third leg

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I've often used a rigid dinghy across the mud.

Lean on the transom and push it along in front of you, you can get up to a surprisingly good speed.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I have rowed through mud. It does have to be the more liquid type 0 the type you will never recover your wellies from.

Looking at Rival Redwing's video. I could seea possibility of fitting a sail to one of their Bristol Channel sleds.

Leighb

Visit site
I watched a chap going out on the mud here the other day. He had on full length waders, and then on his feet he had some large overboots with deep cleats underneath and each side there were flaps which came up as the foot went into the mud. It looked ungainly but effective. He was obviously looking for something in particular and eventually found it, which was a fishing rod and reel with a long cast, presumably with hooks on the end. That would certainly been a danger to birds feeding on the mud which are beginning to appear in fair numbers. I saw about 50 Black Tailed Godwits a few days ago quite close to the Tide Mill.