Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Stinker

Votes: 115 80.4%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 13 9.1%

• Total voters

KevinT1

Visit site
You were - no anticipation of where the raggies were going and how they were limited by their ability to manoeuvre. You could clearly see that the 1st raggie was going to have to turn before it hit the starboard, moored boat and then you put yourself in the completely wrong place.

Sorry you will not like it - but what f@ck was the toot on horn for !

MapisM

Visit site
I can neither vote nor comment since I have no clue of local rules, if any.
But if I were at the mobo helm in such situation, I would have definitely used a different approach, considering how predictable the sailboats behaviour was.
I would have followed the raggies along their port tack, waiting for them to come about to stbd tack, and passing on their stbd side afterwards.
Not a big problem for a mobo, and much less annoying for the raggies - on top of being imho safer.

Gwylan

Visit site
Whether they should be sailing in such a confined space is one matter.

Otherwise I think that the situation could have been better handled.

Relieved I am not in that part of the world

[2068]

Visit site
Not the best narrow channel to be tacking along, though, especially with the moored boats either side. A couple of hundred meters further along there's plenty of space to zigzag at 45'.

thecommander

Visit site
IMO the only hazard was the mobo, and what on earth was the was the toot on horn for !! :rolleyes:

I echo what Mr Winters once said that uneducated mobos must find raggies behavior so erratic.

KevB

Visit site
The conservancy says somewhere that ALL boats with engines should use them in narrow channels. Boat with the flappy things was a tw@t.

There can be literally hundreds of boats going up and down Itchenor reach. Can you imagine the carnage if all sail boats did what this plonker was doing. In the 14 years of being there I've never seen someone in a big boat like that tacking across the the channel.

I like the second raggie towing his tender so as to take up even more space

"Although generally power gives way to sail, a
sailing vessel has no right to hamper in a
narrow channel the safe passage of a power-
driven vessel which can navigate only inside
such a channel"

Last edited:

Whitelighter

Visit site
How do you know his engine was working?

Anyway Daka was
A) the overtaking vessel

And
B) the course the sail boat would take was predictable. Had Daka positioned to go to starboard no evasive action would be required

Whitelighter

Visit site
IMO the only hazard was the mobo, and what on earth was the was the toot on horn for !! :rolleyes:

I echo what Mr Winters once said that uneducated mobos must find raggies behavior so erratic.

The two toots were the international sound signal for 'I am turning to port'

I would have thought that someone accusing people of being 'uneducated' would know that.
Perhaps you should take a look at your own knowledge base before th roughing stones...

KevB

Visit site
To save you time

Narrow channels.

(a) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit or the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.

(b) A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

(c) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway.

(d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel of fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in Rule 34 (d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Rubbish. read rule 9

Not rubbish.
The course of the sailing boat was predictable.
There was the option for Daka to recognise that and either go to starboard or slow.
The SAFE passage of the motorboat was not hampered, other than by the helm failing to recognise what a sailing vessel would likely do.

I agree that the use of the sound signal was correct.

Safe passage does not mean 'I don't have to slow/stop. There was no danger of the motorboat being forced into unsafe water

Whitelighter

Visit site
The conservancy says somewhere that ALL boats with engines should use them in narrow channels. Boat with the flappy things was a tw@t.

There can be literally hundreds of boats going up and down Itchenor reach. Can you imagine the carnage if all sail boats did what this plonker was doing. In the 14 years of being there I've never seen someone in a big boat like that tacking across the the channel.

I like the second raggie towing his tender so as to take up even more space

"Although generally power gives way to sail, a
sailing vessel has no right to hamper in a
narrow channel the safe passage of a power-
driven vessel which can navigate only inside
such a channel"

I was quoting your previous answer Kev

thecommander

Visit site
The two toots were the international sound signal for 'I am turning to port'

I would have thought that someone accusing people of being 'uneducated' would know that.
Perhaps you should take a look at your own knowledge base before th roughing stones...

Stating the obvious sir. :rolleyes: but the toots sounded like they came from the mobo which wasn't turning to port.

KevB

Visit site
No worries. I probably wouldn't have gone past them like that but would have given them a mouthful. Sailing like that in that location is not the done thing regardless of rules or regs. As I said before, never seen it happen in the 14 years I've been there. I've seen large boats sailing down the channel, but not tacking across it like that