Cherbourg 2009

Sailfree

Visit site
The consensus after last year was a sit down meal at the yacht club.

A number will think of alternatives but many have been tried.

The fact is that the food is not the very best French Cuisine but the company is great and overall the event and most peoples experience has been very enjoyable and hence its popularity.

I am relatively new at helping organising it but Tome commented to me on the 1st year of my involvement. We name the time/place/cost its for others to decide whether they want to attend - you cannot please everyone.

IMHO Tome is correct.

For so many to turn up year after year in spite of the distance on on occasions poor weather is proof of how enjoyable the Scuttlebutt Cherbourg meet has been and a testament to the efforts of all the earlier organisers.

Just hope Cutter can make it as he is always good for a laugh - even if it is at my expense!

Topcat47

Visit site
I've pencilled it in for me. Although it is unlike me to plan quite so far ahead. I'll probably need three for this weekend. And St vaast on the Friday Sounds good too.

phanakapan

Visit site
I would love to be able to blag a berth with someone again this year- I'm available on the 12th/13th weekend at the moment. (The later weekend I'll be singing in my choir- we're 'on tour' with Dame Edna Everage in a production called 'Last night of the Poms' - should be a laugh... I hope!)

So diary duly pencilled and awaiting offers, chaps!

Sailfree

Visit site
Once we get Fergus's confirmation that the Yacht Club can take us this weekend we will start threads of runners & starters and another for spare berths.

I will ask for the threads to be transferred to Forum Events as previous years.

Cutter

Visit site
Will be there this weekend if I do the RSYC two hander on Friday night so will enquire.
Think its the right decision and am sure we can work on them. Usual clash is with JOG - has anyone their race calendar to hand.
Glad Roger is in charge - wont comment on his flatulant properties at this time!!!

flaming

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Will be there this weekend if I do the RSYC two hander on Friday night so will enquire.
Think its the right decision and am sure we can work on them. Usual clash is with JOG - has anyone their race calendar to hand.
Glad Roger is in charge - wont comment on his flatulant properties at this time!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

JOG callender here

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have cut this from JOG web site, looks like they are in Poole the 12/13 sept weekend, and at cherbourg the following.

Sat 12th Sept 15 Cowes to Poole via back of Wight 0900 1707 48 4

Sun 13th Sept 16 Poole to Cowes 1000 1830 27 4

Fri 25th Sept 17 Cherbourg II 1800 1607 75 3
Document Technology Cherbourg Race

yelbis

Visit site
You could initially place a vote board for preferred dates. I understand at this point asking questions of dates and preferred venues encourages response and interest. Me being a newbie (been on the last two) agree totally with your reference to Tome and his view if I am correct that this is where it is and this is the date.
If those of you who are the good souls to orgainise the event then the decision IMO should be yours.
Last year a regular pointed out that the ethos of the Cherbourg weekend is a meet up of sailing friends and not a Rally.
We will do our best weather permitting to attend if welcome.
3 on board.

Sailfree

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You could initially place a vote board for preferred dates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dates in September are dictated by

1. Neap Tides (Springs potentially give Newbees
more difficulties predicting course and rougher seas with wind over tide)

2. Restaurant Availability

3. JOG racing programme (26th Sept Cherbourg)

Hence we are currently left with only 12/13th Sept. Lets hope its available at the YC - Our Foreign Adviser (posh for French lingo speaker) Fergus, is on the case!!

phanakapan

Visit site
Possibly could take my own- but the chances are that either I will have kicked my son of home out to live on it, or that we will be living on her, or it might have sold... anyway it'll be good to see you again, thanks for thinking of me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

robp

Visit site
2004 I think? When the NE 6/7 was challenged by the spring tide off St Catherines. Amongst other things Ian's engine emigrated to the side of the boat. All I remember thinking on C.R. was; "isn't the sea warm?"

robp

Visit site
Oh yuss! The blooddy furling line broke at the foredeck and I had a large portion of battened genoa hanging out.

boatmike

Visit site
I can't commit just yet but if I/we go there will be spare cabin space on Peregrine. Regular crew works and we may have other commitments but it's a very likely possible. Being a 37ft cat Peregrine has 3 double cabins. Crew and I will have one so there are two other doubles available (if you are friendly enough) So if there are others without transport PM me. As I say, no promises yet but if I get other company I might still go even if crew cant make it.

Sailfree

Visit site
Great work Fergus.

So we are on for the weekend of 12/13th September (neap Tides).

PM me with menu options as that's another controversial area!

We could hold a ballot but that will not be representative of those that actually attend as from previous experience many early runners finally can't make it and about 96% attendance for all the late bookers!!