Cherbourg 2009

Sailfree

Visit site
Hi everyone.

I have not received a reply from Cutter from my PM through Scuttlebutt so I have e mailed Cutter again to his private address.

If we leave it any longer we may miss the opportunity for 2009 so I intend to start the ball rolling.

To remind people of the history. Many brave Formites have arranged this in the past and it has been a very popular meet. A number of complaints about the Cherbourg Yacht Club Food have resulted in trying other venues. I think it was BigNick now MoodyNick that tried a hotel but this needed a taxi ride and overall it was decided to return to the Yacht Club the following year. After further complaints again of poor value etc at the Yacht Club we tried another restaurant last year. The feedback I received was splitting up the dinners in 2 areas was not popular and the consensus view was that with all its limitations the Yacht Club was best.

I therefore propose the following. Neap tides for September 2009 are clearly the weekends of 12/13 & 26/27. Weather is always a lottery but 12/13 is probably the prefered weekend.

Fergus is going to check availability of Yacht Club as this may dictate which weekend.

I am happy to use Janes Buoy again to host an afternoon drinks and nibbles gathering as this was very popular last year but we were blessed with a sunny afternoon. If it is raining could anyone suggest a suitable cafe/ bar where we could all meet in the afternoon for drinks and "Scuttlebutt"!

Don't know about everyone else but its the meeting of others that have exchanged postings over the year that I enjoy and not just the sitting down to a meal together so an afternoon venue gives us more opportunity than the 1/2 hr or so before the evening meal.

Happy to receive other ideas to make it a great weekend but ultimately its a venue for us all to meet and I think the drinking and chatting wins over ideas such as a cricket match but happy to consider anything to make the weekend even better. A Cricket match could still be arranged for Saturday morning though!

Personally I love going to St Vaast for the Friday night and a few boats do that every year and sail to Cherbourgh from St Vaast early Saturday morning.

Be pleased to receive responses regarding suggested date. Unfortunately there are always a few that can't make a specific date so shout loudly if you prefer the latter weekend and we will go on the majority but ultimately the decision may be dictated by availability of the Yacht Club Restaurant.

Could you please indicate whether you are interested in attending Cherbourg 2009, how many crew and preferred date.

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Pick your date and go for it, you're not going to suit all the people, all the time..

The earlier weekend would seem to give the best weather possibilities, but doesn't work for me. In a moment of insanity I have agreed to run a half marathon on the 13th, I'm now working hard to make sure that I finish in under two hours!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Put me down in Carina as a strong possible as now. I will get the dates into the diary, so that nothing else can override.

I am happy with the Yacht club. The restaurant last year frankly did not deserve to have the bill paid! However - the most important aspect is meeting up. Like last year, we will probably go by St Vaast first.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Pick your date and go for it, you're not going to suit all the people, all the time..

The earlier weekend would seem to give the best weather possibilities, but doesn't work for me. In a moment of insanity I have agreed to run a half marathon on the 13th, I'm now working hard to make sure that I finish in under two hours!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your mad /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

jimi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Should be there baring hell and high winds!
No preference as to dates.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be participating in the fart lighting championship again?

fireball

Visit site
Intend to be there again this year ... can we have the weekend with the nicer winds for coming from eastern solent please.

Oh - btw - eat wherever - I'm not going to make any suggestions or negative comments as I wouldn't want the tough job of organising you lot!!

Sailfree

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Oh - btw - eat wherever - I'm not going to make any suggestions or negative comments as I wouldn't want the tough job of organising you lot!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think mass catering (60-70 of us!) may be a factor plus that when dinning in say a small group French food is so good hence the comparison with mass catering results in it being so relatively poor. Recently I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of mass catering in UK hotels at award ceremonies but I guess they have more extensive kitchens.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
I'll be there, I take it as Fireball has made a commitment without checking with me he will be making his own way there this year! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would be very interested in St Vast as a venue (is that what you are suggesting?) in any case I may well be making the SV aperitief anyway.

fireball

Visit site
I've done it on my own boat before ... and aim to again this year ...

At what point do we determine the rules for the informal passage race?! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sailfree

Visit site
NO not suggesting St Vaast as a venue merely an appetiser for a group of boats each selecting their own restaurant.

Will await responses to Fergus suggestion of a buffet but think this has been considered before and discarded.