Cherbourg 2006

Cutter

Visit site
mid september but its a secret so Jimi dosent hold everyone up!
Tome is in charge but we did discuss it recently over a jar.
Friday St Vaast and Saturday Cherbourg
be there or be square

jimi

Visit site
how mid sept? w/e 10/11 is no go for me. If I take my own boat it'll be from Falmouth so would probably need to have a slightly longer w/e.

Cutter

Visit site
think twas following w/e as neaps - so if you set off 10/11 you should be fine!!
Looking at times it'll be an overnighter Thursday to St V, a lie in, dinner at Fuschias and round to Chbg Sat lunchtime.
We will need to fix somewhere for dinner on the Cotenin peninsula close enough for Tome and the Emsworth bad boys to arrive at in time for close of play.......Yacht club was good last year but dont know if they are free.
Anyone got the number?
How about a jar in PoW next week to discuss?
cheers
R

Sailfree

Visit site
If there is a Cherbourg trip this year is it an open Invite list or does that get a bit unmanageable. If invite list is open I would be interested, is anyone looking for a spare berth? (boat takes 10 but 6 to 8 more comfortable).

Is Keith doing a separate Forum for it this year?

Cutter

Visit site
Rear Admiral Tome on the high seas at mo but able semen cutter can report his last concersation.
Essentially the trip is open to one and all but Tom felt that extending it to St Vaast on the Friday would make it more interesting. It does not exclude anyone and those who want to meet up in Cherbourg on the Saturday are obviously welcome.
It was felt that the strain experienced by Nick et al in trying to tie down people, organise dinners etc was too much for delicate souls such as Tom and I.
The dilemma is that the organiser is left holding the booking and costs if people dont show and we all appreciate that weather, sudden death and SWMBO having a dicky fit are all reasons why people drop out.
I have let the Fuschias know that several boatloads will arrive on the Friday night and they are relaxed about that. As to Cherbourg - I have made no moves there as yet but am happy to take this on if peeps want.
Lets get Keith to do us a seperate Forum so we can see who is interested.
I have enjoyed the last three and thought last years especially good as we met lots of nice peeps.

Sailfree

Visit site
Thanks, I can contact a number of rogues that would be interested but wondered if I should hesitate if there are normally a number of Formites seeking a berth. Is there normally an excess of boats or potential crew?

It goes without saying that as an owner of an AWB I will not venture out in anything more than a F2 to accord with the good advice I have received on here.

Sailfree

Visit site
I note the thread "provisioning for an atlantic crossing". Do we wait for Jimi to start the thread "provisioning for the cherboug trip". I assume the standard crate of beer and case of wine per person may not be considered adequate by many?

Cutter

Visit site
Normally so much is consumed in cherbourg that the options for the return are either quiet desparation in a bunk lying horizontal or a vow never to touch the demon again (at least until the IoW is in sight!).
LAst year we found ParaHandy's creative skills sustained us but he may not be allowed out to play this year....

phanakapan

Visit site
Hi all; looks like I will be free 15/16/17 Sept this year; so yes please to any free berths that are going (still boatless myself)
I can do badges again if required...

StoicWarrior

Visit site
Cutter et al - a tentative "yes, please" ... do I understand correctly that you are Keeper of the List? We shall be 4 (I believe) on an Island Packet 370 ...

BTW, superb choice of Fuchias in St.V - book the conservatory! And I would agree that in CHBG the yacht club would be best, if available ... it's comfy, convivial, convenient and the chow's not bad, IMO. An alternative idea would be something non-French traditional (since one would be hard pressed to better Fuchias!), e.g., North African ... last year I had a decent meal at a place called Botan, walking distance of the port ... just an idea to contribute ...

Msg me, please, for any info or confirmation about joining you lot for the Cherbourg jolly ...

tome

www.google.co.uk
Still on the high seas but have temporary wifi access in Falmouth, next stop Dartmouth then thinking of popping over to Cherbourg for a chat with the yacht club

So plan is St Vaast Friday 15th then Cherbourg Saturday 16th. First choice will be the yacht club if available

I'll contact Cutter on our return for a pow-wow/ jar and update this forum

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
there is good Wifi coverage in Cherbourg now, through netaboard. Cost 6euros for an hour though.

previous issues with the yacht club have been caused by the clash with the annual RORC race. just checked their website which is showing it as being the previous weekend so we should be OK.

TK may be able to remind you of the best man to talk to.

KREW2

Visit site
I'm hoping to go but, it's not definate yet, I should get it sorted later this week, or early next. If you're not fixed up by then I will be in touch.