Check you passport. Expiry is 10 years from date of issue and may be sooner that stated expiry date

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Surely a passport is valid if the ISSUING country says so? Its validity is no one else's business.
I just checked the wording at the front of a British Passport, and it clearly states that its purpose is for the BRITISH Foreign Secretary to ask (in strong terms) for other nations to allow the person concerned to pass "without let or hindrance". I really cannot see how its expiry date is anyone's business except the UK Passport Authority.

I should note that I am very definitely NOT a jingoistic flag-waver - I would say the same of any other passport, from any other country. But a passport promises the protection and support of the issuing country; so surely the issuing country is the ONLY authority who can state whether a passport is valid or not? I don't doubt that the EU has the rules that are stated, but I think it is wrong to do so.

lustyd

Visit site
Look at it another way, if Britain decided not to have a photo in the passport would you still insist it were accepted? The country you're entering requires that passport to prove your identity, and the EU believe that they can do that for 10 years from issue. I don't think that's overly onerous. If they can't verify it's you on the passport then the passport is effectively invalid anyway, so they could refuse entry after 2 years quite comfortably.

st599

Visit site
I just checked the wording at the front of a British Passport, and it clearly states that its purpose is for the BRITISH Foreign Secretary to ask (in strong terms) for other nations to allow the person concerned to pass "without let or hindrance". I really cannot see how its expiry date is anyone's business except the UK Passport Authority.

I should note that I am very definitely NOT a jingoistic flag-waver - I would say the same of any other passport, from any other country. But a passport promises the protection and support of the issuing country; so surely the issuing country is the ONLY authority who can state whether a passport is valid or not? I don't doubt that the EU has the rules that are stated, but I think it is wrong to do so.

All the biometric passports are made to ICAO rules - presumably they have a max validity before the image needs to be updated.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Does anyone know if this rule applies to Switzerland. My wife's passport was issued in January 2012 but expires in July 2022. We have booked a skiing holiday for New Year in Klosters which means we will be leaving the UK around the 28th of December which is seven month before expiry.

lustyd

Visit site
Does anyone know if this rule applies to Switzerland. My wife's passport was issued in January 2012 but expires in July 2022. We have booked a skiing holiday for New Year in Klosters which means we will be leaving the UK around the 28th of December which is seven month before expiry.
If only there were some way to get a passport with a newer date within the next 4 months ?

st599

Visit site

It does yes. Require 3 months left and less than 10 years old on day of departure from the Confederation.

Plus stricter Covid rules. I think the vaccination status has a time limit (or did the last time I went in for work).

Stork_III

Visit site
It does yes. Require 3 months left and less than 10 years old on day of departure from the Confederation.

Plus stricter Covid rules. I think the vaccination status has a time limit (or did the last time I went in for work).

Vaccine status valid for 12 months from date of last vaccine dose, except for Jansson, which from 22 days after date of dose. Valid vaccines are as approved by EMA or WHO emergency authorisation.

Passport rules as for EU (Schengen). Entry requirements - Switzerland travel advice

newtothis

Visit site

You kind of answer the question there.... The British foreign secretary REQUESTS other nations to do something and that request is valid for the length of the passport.
It is entirely up to the host nation to decide on whether to accept that request (hence the dearth of holiday options in North Korea) and to decide whether it might like that request to be a little more recent, or extend a little longer.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
For those little excursions across to Shengen, note that from the end of next year UK citizens will require an ETIAS visa waiver.

7 euros, multiple entries, valid for three years. Another 'bonus'.

Stork_III

Visit site
For those little excursions across to Shengen, note that from the end of next year UK citizens will require an ETIAS visa waiver.

7 euros, multiple entries, valid for three years. Another 'bonus'.

A similar UK ETA system is proposed together with full passports not ID cards for EU citizens. Doubt the cost will be as low as 7 euros though.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
A similar UK ETA system is proposed together with full passports not ID cards for EU citizens. Doubt the cost will be as low as 7 euros though.
I reckon a lot of people on this forum sail across to France, Belgium and Holland. Probably holidays in places like Greece and Spain. Plus the skiing. Lot of collective wonga to give up for....freedom.

ETIAS for Europe | European Travel Authorization System

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Visa is pretty cheap compared to a new passport.
£75.50 if you apply online and allow 10 weeks
£142 for a supposed 1 week fast track which in fact had no appointments in London for over 3 weeks.
£177 for a 2 day appointment but the reality was that nearest appointment was 2 weeks away and not in London where I live, but in Peterborough. If I'd missed that, the only appointments before my flight to Preveza were Belfast and Glasgow!

TS

Stork_III

Visit site
£142 for a supposed 1 week fast track which in fact had no appointments in London for over 3 weeks.
£177 for a 2 day appointment but the reality was that nearest appointment was 2 weeks away and not in London where I live, but in Peterborough. If I'd missed that, the only appointments before my flight to Preveza were Belfast and Glasgow!

TS

A Schengen Visa is 80 euros. The ETIAS fee is an authorisation for entry not a Visa, which may or may not be required, but is additional to the Visa fee.

lustyd

Visit site

TS
I think £75.50 is pretty reasonable for a 10 year passport. And with 10 years to plan there's no real reason I can see for needing a fast track.

Roadbikedawnie

Visit site
I saw a post on the Cruising Association site about the change in rules. I am in the situation of have my passport issued in July 2011 and having stated expiry date April 2022. Now the EU state that the passport is valid for 10 years from issue so expires this month!

Here are the details

Basically you need 6 months on your 10 year passport when travelling to the EU. But your expiry date for EU travel is 10 years from the issue date in July 2011 not the expiry date in April 2022 shown on your passport which can be over 10 years if you renewed early.

"AN urgent warning to holidaymakers who have passports due to expire has been issued - as passengers fall foul of new rules.

New rules brought in following the UKs exit from the European Union now mean certain passports still appearing 'in date' are no longer valid.

The rules, which apply when travelling to most EU countries, now say passports must be under ten years old, even if extra months were added from a renewal.

The previous requirement to have at least six months from the expiry date remaining on passports on the day of travel to the EU has stayed in place.

But it now means holidaymakers should ensure their passports have at least six months left, ten years from the date the passport was issued - not the expiry date.

The rule change, came in on January 1st "
What about the rest of the world ? i am due to travel to USA and Canada in October this year, my passport is valid until June 23 …. All good, however the issue date is Jan 2013. If I have to get a new passport before I travel, I would need to get it in September virtually a year early. Any opinions?