Cheapest place to keep an 18ft lifting keeler on east coast.

steve yates

Visit site
I've only just looked at this forum after being a member for 6 months, thought east coast meant hull and Scarborough, didn't realise it was Essex :)
Anyway, I'm just looking for an idea and possibilities for the future, probably next year but this year in right circumstances.
I have a Bradwell 18, it's currently in Maryport in Cumbria, and that's fine.
My girlfriend lives in benfleet, and I'm down there a lot, ( less this year if forecast is good for Irish Sea! )

When I get a bigger boat, it occurred to me that it just may be an option to bring the little un back to Essex,
( I bought it from a lad down here in August and trailed it up, it had lived on a mooring at paglesham)

Now I don't want to shaft myself with running two boats at opposite ends of England, but if I could find a really cheap place to keep the wee boat, I wouldn't have to be missing sailing time when I came down, and I probably wouldn't get much money for it anyway.

All tide access would be great, but I'm guessing unrealistic for cheap. I love Leigh on sea as it has great pubs, and I have seen the pontoon prices, but that's too much really.

Anyone got any ideas or recommendations? The lad that sold me the boat has suggested I join his club, paglesham but not sure moorings there are readily available.

Leigh, canvey, benfleet are all very close so anywhere cheap there would be convenient, but I would be prepared to drive.

Thanks.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
There are cheap drying moorings at Paglesham. While the boatyard is in disarray due to change of ownership. There are drying moorings that belong to the Paglesham Village Trust and run by the Roach Sailing Association, which is the club that the fellow you bought the boat off was talking about.

steve yates

Visit site
Absolutely no trailer sailing,coming from driving in empty Cumbria, I hate Essex roads in a car, never mind with a trailer behind me :)
Plus my partners unmade Rd has a 130 degree turn into it off the a13! Even if I got in, I'd probably wait for about an hour each time for a gap big enough to let me back out into the traffic.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, Marconi looks viable, at around £350 a year, will need to phone the others for an idea of prices.

FullCircle

Visit site
There are also moorings on Canvey Island, several clubs there. There isn't much to do as destinations, and the tidal nature of the area means only a couple of hours water.
In the Roach at Great Wakering there are also moorings at the Mill basin. Rochford is too far up the Roach really, but again is cheap. Paradoxically that is where Wakering YC is located.

PeterWright

Visit site
Sorry about the deleted post. Santa gave me an Android tablet and I haven't yet sussed how to turn off the auto correct feature. Attempting an edit to correct the auto correct's changes resulted in deletion of the whole post. Whoever writes the engine for this forum could do with a lesson from Cantata on how to make it more phone / tablet friendly.

Surely for that boat you've got to take a look at Bradwell creek. The moorings there will mostly be all tide access for such a boat, but you'll need a tender to get out to her from the waterside hard.

The only time I ever sailed a Bradwell 18 was, many years ago, when a non sailing neighbour bought one on a trailer. We towed her to Bradwell waterside and launched her successfully then went for a barnstorming reach over to Mersea quarters. Attempting to bear away for gybe, the tiller come off in me 'and - honest! Later examination revealed that it was a recycled chair leg. Anyway we got home safely and the neighbour became a lifetime ditch crawler now, sadly, passed away.

I guess, that's all irrelevant to you. For info on Bradwell creek moorings see:
www.essexoutdoors.com/moorings_and_dinghy_park.php

Daydream believer

Visit site
Go online & go to www.stlawrencefairwaycommittee.com. All the details are there
Cheaper than Marconi after the initial investment. You can have deep water or drying mooring. You would have to join Stone SC ( Go online -Stone Sailing Club-for details )& you could store the boat in the club grounds for the winter months
Plenty of moorings available. I am resigning as clerk on 19 Jan & do not yet know who the new one will be.
But you can email me & I will pass your name on. Now is the time to do it so we have a mooring ready for you after easter
The moorings are nearer the mouth of the Blackwater than Marconi & it is a slightly better sailing area but only 1.5 miles from Marconi

Tam Lin

Visit site
Go online & go to www.stlawrencefairwaycommittee.com. All the details are there
Cheaper than Marconi after the initial investment. You can have deep water or drying mooring. You would have to join Stone SC ( Go online -Stone Sailing Club-for details )& you could store the boat in the club grounds for the winter months
Plenty of moorings available. I am resigning as clerk on 19 Jan & do not yet know who the new one will be.
But you can email me & I will pass your name on. Now is the time to do it so we have a mooring ready for you after easter
The moorings are nearer the mouth of the Blackwater than Marconi & it is a slightly better sailing area but only 1.5 miles from Marconi

Depends where you are at Marconi, some of the moorings are so far down river they are nearly in Stone! There is the apocryphal story of the Marconi member who used to keep his tender at Stone as it was nearer to his boat!

Seriously though, plenty of good suggestions for the OP to consider.

Last edited:

steve yates

Visit site
These are all really useful, thanks. Great story Pete, and yes, Bradwell creek deserves consideration just for the name :) what did your mate think of his ?
Daydream, I wouldn't be going in this Easter, way to early, it's still just exploring a future idea at the moment. It's improbable I will need one this year, tho not impossible, and quite possible next year.
Tam Lin, that's very kind of you, I will see if it's convenient for you at some point next time I'm down, thank you.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Depends where you are at Marconi, some of the moorings are so far down river they are nearly in Stone! There is the apocryphal story of the Marconi member who used to keep his tender at Stone as it was nearer to his boat!
Thread drift here !!!!
We at Stone do get a bit miffed by this. You are encroaching on the area where our race mark has been for years & it messes up that leg of the racing when we cannot put it in the right place as it is so close to moored cruisers
One also wonders if Marconi have the right to move into that part of the river as it is beyond their original mooring zone

Cobra

Visit site
OK...everyone has considered the usual suspects, but how about the Stour? Join the amazingly friendly Stour Sailing Club at Manningtree. OK, going back a few years now and it may have changed, but they used to lay and maintain their own moorings which made for VERY low cost drying sailing and you have club membership into the bargain and a truly beautiful cruising area on your doorstep.
Taking a stab in the dark, I would guess that all in you would be under the £350 pa. The only down side would be the drive up from Benfleet, but that IMHO would be a very small price to pay!

Marmalade

Visit site
Thread drift here !!!!
We at Stone do get a bit miffed by this. You are encroaching on the area where our race mark has been for years & it messes up that leg of the racing when we cannot put it in the right place as it is so close to moored cruisers
One also wonders if Marconi have the right to move into that part of the river as it is beyond their original mooring zone

It's my understanding (I'm a Marconi member and previously moored there) that our mooring area is agreed with Maldon DC and the Crown Estate (responsibility changes half way up the trot). It's all monitored by GPS I think so the end of the moorings shouldn't move (presumably unless otherwise agreed with them).

steve62

Visit site
Have you tried Southend Council for a mooring. They lease some to clubs but I think they also have mooring available direct.

My mooring at Leigh Sailing Club is only just into 3 figures but we only get about 2 hours either side of HW. with a trailer sailor you also wont need crane costs, just pull it up the slip at Bell Wharf at the end of the season.

Membership of Leigh or Benfleet is also reasonable. I am not sure but you may be able to store a boat on a trailer at Benfleet.