Cheap places in the Algarve to leave a 9m boat for a couple of months

nortada

Visit site
Be good to meet but back in UK at the mo due to (non-covid) family illness. Even if it was cold for the Algarve I'm missing the clifftop walks in sunshine already. Am on G0 at the foot of the access ramp (ugly metal boat:rolleyes:). Holiday Taxis sound a good option - that bus station is a hard slog early morning!

Can’t you get one of the local Giro buses up to the bus or railway stations.

Bus timetables Albufeira summary of connections to nearby towns and villages

For those who are not aware, EVA is a national bus company but each municipality has it’s own local, camara subsidised, bus service, which link all of the local towns and most of the local villages.

Google for information, the websites (run by a Brit) are very impressive and often more up to date and accurate than other local sites.

Because public transport in The Algarve is so good, we only hire a car if we have visitors.

Last edited:

andyc352

Visit site
Can’t you get one of the local Giro buses up to the bus or railway stations.

Bus timetables Albufeira summary of connections to nearby towns and villages

For those who are not aware, EVA is a national bus company but each municipality has it’s own local, camara subsidised, bus service, which link all of the local towns and most of the local villages.

Google for information, the websites (run by a Brit) are very impressive and often more up to date and accurate than other local sites.

Because public transport in The Algarve is so good, we only hire a car if we have visitors.
Thanks for posting that link...very useful. I’m told there’s a bus stops at the marina at 20 minutes past the hour but unsure of route.

nortada

Visit site
Thanks for posting that link...very useful. I’m told there’s a bus stops at the marina at 20 minutes past the hour but unsure of route.

In Albufeira, seem to recall the routes are colour coded and it is the red one that calls at the marina. Maps of the different routes are on the link.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Goldcar usually but there are a few around that price. I use Carjet or Rental Cars for price comparisons. One thing I've noticed is once you've hired a couple of times they stop hassling to sell CDW cover, tolls etc and are much more relaxed about post-hire inspection so pick up & drop off are a 2 minute job. Maybe keen to keep a regular customer?
View attachment 106809
Thanks very much.

colhel

Visit site
I've heard these people are good for airport runs
Faro Airport Private Transfers - Travel Easy | Yellowfish Transfers
As an aside we're booked to fly out at the end of April and normally pay a visit to the marina, there's a cafe/bar that does a very good continental breakfast. Can't think of the name now but it's one of the first you get to on the left if walking from the multi storey

saab96

Bath, Somerset or sailing Portugal to Azores
www.lesweatheritt.com
Provided you're talking about winter rates, a marina would likely be as cheap as most yards unless you will need a lift to scrub off anyway. Can't remember the name now but there's a fairly cheap yard not far up the river from you, SW of Seixal across from Lisbon, can be seen on Google Earth. Maybe someone here will have the name?

If you make it down to Faro, the Ginasio Clube Naval sometimes have a mooring for rent but not sure of prices. There's a marina now at Olhao but not sure of prices or availability. Also a couple of yards there, Marina Formosa being one. You could drop anchor off Culatra and take the ferry over to have a look around.

Although there are some moorings to rent up the Guadiana, it's not somewhere I would leave a boat unattended for a couple of months.

You could try the Dias and Sabina lda yard next to the old fishing harbour at Olhão. They haul you out on a sledge. Old fashioned but cheaper than most. It helps to speak Portuguese. Run by Sergio. diasesabinolda@gmail.com

You can moor to a 2.4 tonne concrete weight up the Guadiana at Laranjeira. Call Dick Monk, an Englishman with a Dutch barge. dick@skutsje.co.uk. 00351962097886. Cheaper than a marina BUT don’t leave your boat at anchor for long on the Guadiana. The river level can rise rapidly in heavy rain. The currents are strong and they will build an undesirably big raft of canna/bamboo around your anchor chain.

The best yard on the Algarve is Sopromar at Lagos. Not the cheapest but not so much more expensive than others I routinely check on. Safe and secure. 5* facilities. Good chandlery. Every trade you need. And no objection to you working on your own boat. The restaurant that shares the building is very high quality at affordable prices. 351 282 763889
sopramar@mail.telepac.pt