Cheap places in the Algarve to leave a 9m boat for a couple of months

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
The engine replacement saga in Cascais continues, and is threatening to empty our savings.

Assuming we ever get out of here and that the Covid situation calms down a little, what places would the team recommend to leave the boat for a couple of months in the Algarve while we fly back to Scotland and sort stuff out?

Bruce's Yard works out at just over € 200 per month, but of course lift out/lift in has to be factored in. Can't find any prices for Vila Real online. There have also been vague rumours of moorings available up the Guadiana.

All suggestions/info gratefully received.

- W

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Provided you're talking about winter rates, a marina would likely be as cheap as most yards unless you will need a lift to scrub off anyway. Can't remember the name now but there's a fairly cheap yard not far up the river from you, SW of Seixal across from Lisbon, can be seen on Google Earth. Maybe someone here will have the name?

If you make it down to Faro, the Ginasio Clube Naval sometimes have a mooring for rent but not sure of prices. There's a marina now at Olhao but not sure of prices or availability. Also a couple of yards there, Marina Formosa being one. You could drop anchor off Culatra and take the ferry over to have a look around.

Although there are some moorings to rent up the Guadiana, it's not somewhere I would leave a boat unattended for a couple of months.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

nortada

Visit site
I can't find any prices for VRSA on the site via the menu, but found them here from an older thread:

Preçário | Porto de Recreio | Associação Naval do Guadiana

Looks like €230/month for us (inc. tax) so a better bet than Bruce's for a couple of months.

- W

VRdSA. If you decide to go there beware of the tides through the berths so good idea to organise your arrival for slack water. Additionally, if possible get a mooring where you will not be at risk from other boats arriving and leaving.

Yngmar

Visit site
The Rio Guadiana moorings are private, so unless you know someone... The two pontoons up the river aren't for extended stays. Wouldn't chance leaving the boat at anchor there, or in Ria Formosa, but some might. Perhaps you can talk someone at either place into looking after her for a small fee.

Albufeira is the cheapest marina on the Algarve, and has a bus to Faro airport. Marina pice list: Tabela de Taxas e Tarifas Marina de Albufeira ! Albufeira Marina Price List 2020/2021 (beam as well as length dependent).

Might be a few places down the coast from Lisbon worth asking? Setubal area perhaps (no idea, never stopped there) and Sines (good shelter, but looked pretty full).

RobbieW

Visit site
Can't remember the name now but there's a fairly cheap yard not far up the river from you, SW of Seixal across from Lisbon, can be seen on Google Earth. Maybe someone here will have the name?
Tagus Yacht Centre, I hauled out there for a couple of months in 2016, owners speak good english - 3-4 hours by boat from Cascais with the tide. Scruffy but relatively cheap, access to the lift is tidal but you can anchor in the approaches. Good, taxi, access to Lisbon airport about 30 mins away. Came across Lynn Rival being sold there whilst the Chandlers refitted a cat theyd bought in the yard

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The Rio Guadiana moorings are private, so unless you know someone... The two pontoons up the river aren't for extended stays. Wouldn't chance leaving the boat at anchor there, or in Ria Formosa, but some might. Perhaps you can talk someone at either place into looking after her for a small fee.

2019 there were still moorings to rent at Laranjeiras, laid by German Paul but I think taken over by Scot, since Paul left. The pontoon at SanLucar has been extended but don't know if long stays are still allowed. At around €10/night, would be more expensive anyway than a marina and long way from airport.

RobbieW

Visit site
Tagus Yacht Centre, I hauled out there for a couple of months in 2016, owners speak good english - 3-4 hours by boat from Cascais with the tide. Scruffy but relatively cheap, access to the lift is tidal but you can anchor in the approaches. Good, taxi, access to Lisbon airport about 30 mins away. Came across Lynn Rival being sold there whilst the Chandlers refitted a cat theyd bought in the yard
Just checked my phone - I have Rafael from TYCs number and he seems to do WhatsApp. TYC dont really do the interweb so if you want costs etc its best to call/msg him. PM me if you want the number I have

andyc352

Visit site
I enquired about a berth in the new marina in Olhao a few weeks ago.... there’s a waiting list of over 900 for an annual berth, haha. VRSA normally tends to be very full but I haven’t been there for a wee while. I would echo the comment about only entering there at slack water. I used to have an annual contract in Ayamonte marina and some VRSA boats moved to Ayamonte as they’d seen too many boats damaged at VRSA. Ayamonte still only do an annual contract so not so cheap for a short stay. The large new pontoon at Sanlucer was finished when I sailed upriver in October. There was no charge at that time as water and electricity were still being connected. I drove to Alcoutim recently and looking across to Sanlucer, the pontoon was full and boats rafted up but don’t know about time limit or fees now. I’m currently in Albufeira marina for the winter and can confirm there are plenty places for smaller boats at the moment.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I wont come to Bruces again. Electricity cut off overnight from between 5 and six oclock and now cutting out during day as well. Theyre trying to run yard from soler panels.
The staff have only just returned from their month's holiday. I'm hoping that the daytime power cuts the last two days are part of an attempt to rectify the situation.

Quiddle

Visit site
I tried for a berth at VRSA in November and was told none were available, and if that were to change it would be on the long pontoon which attracts a 15% surcharge. Coupled with the rather unattractive town of VRSA I went for Albufeira which is fine: good security, very sheltered, helpful staff, unmetered 'leccy, town with good facilities (up a hill!) but shower room is not the best though water is always piping hot. Bus to airport is a long winded affair via seemingly every nook and cranny in Quarteria -the express bus is currently suspended - and train station is 8km away. Last month or so I've had car hire from the airport at around 15 euros a week so transport not such a problem. Unasked for, I was offered a 15% discount for membership of RYA / Cruising Association etc. I have it but was not asked for proof. A 3 month winter deal gives about another 10% off their standard rates. Watch out for other marinas' published fees which often don't include 23% VAT.

andyc352

Visit site
I tried for a berth at VRSA in November and was told none were available, and if that were to change it would be on the long pontoon which attracts a 15% surcharge. Coupled with the rather unattractive town of VRSA I went for Albufeira which is fine: good security, very sheltered, helpful staff, unmetered 'leccy, town with good facilities (up a hill!) but shower room is not the best though water is always piping hot. Bus to airport is a long winded affair via seemingly every nook and cranny in Quarteria -the express bus is currently suspended - and train station is 8km away. Last month or so I've had car hire from the airport at around 15 euros a week so transport not such a problem. Unasked for, I was offered a 15% discount for membership of RYA / Cruising Association etc. I have it but was not asked for proof. A 3 month winter deal gives about another 10% off their standard rates. Watch out for other marinas' published fees which often don't include 23% VAT.
I’m also in Albufeira. I’m on Adagio on D pontoon. Where are you? Come and say hello if you like. When I planned to go back to UK for Christmas I booked an airport transfer with “Holiday Taxis”. They only pick up from hotels but managed to agree that they’d pick me up from the Orada apartments behind the marina. Price was around €8.40 for the shuttle service so pretty cheap and much easier than getting to the train or bus station. I cancelled at the last minute and remained here due to the virus situation back in the UK and am very glad I did.

Quiddle

Visit site
That's crazy cheap! What car hire firm, please?
Goldcar usually but there are a few around that price. I use Carjet or Rental Cars for price comparisons. One thing I've noticed is once you've hired a couple of times they stop hassling to sell CDW cover, tolls etc and are much more relaxed about post-hire inspection so pick up & drop off are a 2 minute job. Maybe keen to keep a regular customer?
carhire.jpg

Last edited:

Quiddle

Visit site
I’m also in Albufeira. I’m on Adagio on D pontoon. Where are you? Come and say hello if you like. When I planned to go back to UK for Christmas I booked an airport transfer with “Holiday Taxis”. They only pick up from hotels but managed to agree that they’d pick me up from the Orada apartments behind the marina. Price was around €8.40 for the shuttle service so pretty cheap and much easier than getting to the train or bus station. I cancelled at the last minute and remained here due to the virus situation back in the UK and am very glad I did.
Be good to meet but back in UK at the mo due to (non-covid) family illness. Even if it was cold for the Algarve I'm missing the clifftop walks in sunshine already. Am on G0 at the foot of the access ramp (ugly metal boat:rolleyes:). Holiday Taxis sound a good option - that bus station is a hard slog early morning!

andyc352

Visit site
Be good to meet but back in UK at the mo due to (non-covid) family illness. Even if it was cold for the Algarve I'm missing the clifftop walks in sunshine already. Am on G0 at the foot of the access ramp (ugly metal boat:rolleyes:). Holiday Taxis sound a good option - that bus station is a hard slog early morning!
Yes, we’ve used Holiday Taxis a lot and found them very reliable. It’s a shuttle service, so sharing and picking up from other hotels enroute. I’ve been using “Keddy” car hire from Eurocar behind the marina if I only need a car for a few days. Available online through “DoYouSpain”. Costs about €10 a day but no extra cost to take into Spain. Not as cheap as Faro airport but much less hassle than getting to the airport and back.