Cheap non Marina Mooring on South Coast?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, I used to keep a 27 footer at Cracknore Hard but when I enquired recently, I was told the mooring dry now! I’m looking into a mooring on the Exe which seems a beautiful place to be!
The Exe is beautiful if you dont mind being a long way from the sea if by Topsham or always needing winter liftout (at Topsham probably) if at Starcross.

I would prefer Dartmouth/Dittisham etc as more facilities if not too far for convenience

It would be useful to know where in Dorset the OP means. Its a wide county.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
£135.82 per metre for deep water swing in the Dart (so about £1620 for 40ft). £266 per metre on pontoon with electric

Starcross/Powderham on the Exe is £10.70 plus vat per foot, say £943
I think your calculator has blown a fuse!

i have a 45’ mooring on the Exe in a prime position, costs me about £200pa plus servicing costs.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I think your calculator has blown a fuse!

i have a 45’ mooring on the Exe in a prime position, costs me about £200pa plus servicing costs.
Lucky you. My calculator never blows a fuse though steam might come out of my ears when I see some of the prices. I was just taking my prices from Powderham site. I know there are cheaper moorings beyond Topsham but they may dry.

I pay £70pa total for my River Axe, Bristol Channel Mooring, and about 4 times that for my River Tamar, Cornish mooring. But the OP is somewhere in Dorset so even the Devon Exe might be rather too much travel

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Lucky you. My calculator never blows a fuse though steam might come out of my ears when I see some of the prices. I was just taking my prices from Powderham site. I know there are cheaper moorings beyond Topsham but they may dry.

I pay £70pa total for my River Axe, Bristol Channel Mooring, and about 4 times that for my River Tamar, Cornish mooring. But the OP is somewhere in Dorset so even the Devon Exe might be rather too much travel
Still think you have a faulty calculator. "Starcross/Powderham on the Exe is £10.70 plus vat per foot, say £943"
On that basis you'd be paying for a 70' mooring, and there aren't many of those on the Exe. My calculator says £513. Even then, moorings in the Lower Exe Mooring Authority (LEMA) area are thankfully much cheaper. Yes, some are drying , but many are deep water, mine has a min depth of 5m on a LWS. As you would expect, drying moorings are cheaper still.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Still think you have a faulty calculator. "Starcross/Powderham on the Exe is £10.70 plus vat per foot, say £943"
On that basis you'd be paying for a 70' mooring, and there aren't many of those on the Exe. My calculator says £513. Even then, moorings in the Lower Exe Mooring Authority (LEMA) area are thankfully much cheaper. Yes, some are drying , but many are deep water, mine has a min depth of 5m on a LWS. As you would expect, drying moorings are cheaper still.
Quite correct only just over£500. Excel entry error.

Still not much use for OP if on far side of Dorset

doug748

Visit site
The OP does say:

" ............Being retired, I really don’t mind a fairly longish traffic packed drive to get to her base since I can choose to drive there during the evening or night time any day of the week, and when I do arrive I won’t be constrained to short weekend stays, I can stay pretty much as long or as short a time as I want."

Wandering Star

Visit site
Thanks again for all the advice, it’s been very useful. I’ve no problems with the drive to anywhere on the South or South East coasts, I just want to find somewhere with nice surroundings and friendly natives - and of course somewhere safe in a blow! One thing that has changed though is I’m not buying the 40 footer, it’s just too big for me, I may be buying 31 footer instead which is presently at Weir Quay Plymouth. The swinging moorings aren’t particularly cheap but the annual price per foot (£75) haulout & sorage ashore, it appears to be a genuinely inclusive price. The place itself seems picturesque too. Does anyone have any experience or views on Weir Quay?

doug748

Visit site
It's possible that boat has been mentioned here recently. If so it looks a wise buy.

Weir Quay is a delightful spot. The drawbacks are the relative distance to the Sound and open sea and the dinghy business which can be muddy at low tide. All options have their drawbacks and, as you say, it's good to know your annual outlay in advance. Good luck with it.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Thanks again for all the advice, it’s been very useful. I’ve no problems with the drive to anywhere on the South or South East coasts, I just want to find somewhere with nice surroundings and friendly natives - and of course somewhere safe in a blow! One thing that has changed though is I’m not buying the 40 footer, it’s just too big for me, I may be buying 31 footer instead which is presently at Weir Quay Plymouth. The swinging moorings aren’t particularly cheap but the annual price per foot (£75) haulout & sorage ashore, it appears to be a genuinely inclusive price. The place itself seems picturesque too. Does anyone have any experience or views on Weir Quay?
Nice place and considered it myself. However Wier Quay is the most expensive river mooring and liftout in the middle Tamar.

Cargreen YC opposite has much much cheaper moorings, but their liftout facilities are limited. However Huggins Yard at Torpoint/Southdown does reasonable lift out particularly if you have bilge keel and dont need cradle and Treluggan up the Lynher is cheaper still. (We have used both for wintering)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
£3k p.a. for 10m boat on a swinging mooring doesn't strike me as "cheap".

AFAIK Wicormarine moorings are pontoons. One pontoon is walk ashore, the other requires a dinghy ride. They might have swinging moorings, but not at that price I believe.

A swinging deepwater mooring with Gosport Boatyard including an inclusive launch service was 2K PA for a 37 foot boat 3 years ago.