Cheap diy nmea to wifi adaptor - tested and working

ianj99

Visit site
thank you to the original poster & the rest for a very educational thread.

I've a TackTick micronet (wind, depth, speed) setup already fitted and want it to feed the SeaPilot app (windows pc/tablet/phones, ithings, android) through nmea protocol into the Seapilot WiFi-AIS CTRX Graphene+ all in one. Since the WiFi-AIS gizmo needs a physical nmea input I had been advised by RayMarine that their Micronet Wireless NMEA Interface T122 was the way to go (£250 ish).

I've a feeling that this thread may contain the elements to save me a small fortune.
/[/url]

Unfortunately, I fear you may have to buy the Tacktick nmea interface because the wifi transducers operates in the 400Mhz or 800Mhz band (I forget which) - used for wireless alarms, remote controlled toys etc and so is incompatible with wireless networks which operate in the 2.5 & 5Ghz bands. The data will also be transmitted in a proprietary format so until someone on here comes up with a cheaper solution, start saving up!

gascomm

Visit site
Unfortunately, I fear you may have to buy the Tacktick nmea interface because the wifi transducers operates in the 400Mhz or 800Mhz band (I forget which) - used for wireless alarms, remote controlled toys etc and so is incompatible with wireless networks which operate in the 2.5 & 5Ghz bands. The data will also be transmitted in a proprietary format so until someone on here comes up with a cheaper solution, start saving up!

ah, thanks. hadn't realised they may be incompatible on frequencies.

ianj99

Visit site
Wifi interface tested with AIS and full range of data. Screenshots from Xperia Z2

View attachment 50946
seawiais9600b.jpg
I've now tested the wifi adaptor with my Xperia Z2 using Seawi and Memory Map and as you can see data and AIS targets are displayed.

The AIS receiver is a McMurdo Smartfind 15 set at 9600baud and this + wind, depth, gps and heading (from an Airmar GH2183) are fed via a Shipmodul multiplexer to the interface. Both Shipmodul and the wifi interface support 9600baud so I decided to use this first to check for errors and then try 38400baud next.

The only snag at present is that Memory Map won't display the depth whereas Seawi will, so I will have to contact them to find out which nmea sentence it is expecting.

(The red blocks on the upper Memory Map chart show where extra large scale Antares Charts are available. The data boxes are customisable)

Last edited:

Peekn

Visit site

ianj99

Visit site
I solved the Bluetooth issue.
Bought this serial to Bluetooth adapter on ebay
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...oth-to-serial-port-Bluetooth/32253938537.html
Connected to the AIS transponder in slave mode.
Installed an app, Bluebridge, on my xperia z2 tablet. This app fetch nmea from Bluetooth and convert to tcp. Worked very well on Seapilot and perhaps all apps wanting tcp.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freezinsteve.bluetoothbridge

Why did you decide to use Bluetooth instead of wifi?

Clueless techie

Visit site
Hello, I have just come across this thread as I Google around trying to solve my own conundrum! If it is okay, I will explain what I am trying to do, which I think bears some similarity to what you have been discussing ... if not, then the clue is in my username!

We have a laptop on the boat that is powered by an inverter, to allow it to connect to the 12 volt battery system. We use the laptop to run Seapro charting software. The latest version of the software we use apparently will allow us to "repeat" the chart display on the laptop to an iPad which we have out in the cockpit (the laptop is secured down below), as described here:

"'Chart view Repeater' option for use on suitable mobile device, such as a Smartphone Android, iPhone, tablet etc., that has a suitable browser.
Note: A Local Area Network connection (such as a WiFi) is required to the PC. Client software not supplied."

I asked Euronav to advise me on what exactly was required and they said I would need a 12 volt micro router to set up a wifi network between the laptop and the iPad. They are fairly cheap, it seems, on average £25. However, I am getting very confused by what's available and how I would actually set it up (lots of the technical descriptions seem to say that I need to connect to the internet which clearly I can't do in the middle of the English Channel!). So that's the first part of my question ...

SECONDLY, we have on the boat an AIS receiver:

http://www.euronav.co.uk/Products/Hardware/AIS/AIS_RX/AIS-3R/AIS-3R.htm

which plots data onto the above-mentioned laptop charting software.

We understand that we could now get the data from the AIS onto the iPad using the free iAIS app from Digital Yacht. But to do this we have to convert the NMEA data from the AIS receiver to wireless ... and the piece of kit Digital Yacht sells to do that is an NMEA wifi server, which costs over £200:

http://www.digitalyachtamerica.com/...ct/51-wln10hs-wireless-nmea-server-38400-baud

SO ... ignoring the fact that we could 'see' the AIS data on the chart repeater if we go down the route as outlined in question 1, is there a cheaper way/piece of kit to achieve BOTH the above, and if so, any idea what it is?!?

Sorry if this is obvious to you all! Answers in words of one syllable would be gratefully received, even if it is "No" ...

Clueless techie

Visit site
I tried to post this yesterday but it appears to have gone off into "the ether" so here it is again:

I came across this thread whilst looking to solve a very similar problem, so I hope you don't mind if I post MY problem here too! So ...

So, here is the problem:

We have a laptop on our boat that is powered by an inverter, to allow it to connect to the 12 volt battery system. We use the laptop to run Euronav's Seapro passage planning and charting software. The latest version of Seapro will allow us to "repeat" the chart display from the laptop to an iPad (which we have out in the cockpit (the laptop is secured down below)):

"'Chart view Repeater' option for use on suitable mobile device, such as a Smartphone Android, iPhone, tablet etc., that has a suitable browser. Note: A Local Area Network connection (such as a WiFi) is required to the PC. Client software not supplied."

I asked Euronav to advise me on what exactly was required and they said I would need a 12 volt micro router to set up a wifi network between the laptop and the iPad. They are fairly cheap, it seems, on average £25. However, I am getting very confused by what's available and how I would actually set it up (lots of the technical descriptions seem to say that I need to connect to the internet which clearly I can't do in the middle of the English Channel!). Euronav themselves suggested one with a conventional plug but which could be powered by the laptop. However, as we have battery life problems with the laptop that is not desirable. So that's the first part of the question ...

SECONDLY, we have on the boat an AIS receiver:

http://www.euronav.co.uk/Products/Hardware/AIS/AIS_RX/AIS-3R/AIS-3R.htm

which plots data onto the above-mentioned laptop charting software, via a serial to USB cable plugged into the laptop.

Digital Yacht tell us that we can get the data from the AIS onto our iPad out in the cockpit using a free app of their's. But to do this we have to convert the NMEA data from the AIS receiver to wireless ... and the piece of kit they sell to do that is an NMEA wifi server, which costs over £200 (more if you want more than one connection at a time, as I also understand it):

http://www.digitalyachtamerica.com/...ct/51-wln10hs-wireless-nmea-server-38400-baud

SO ... ignoring the fact that we could 'see' the AIS data plotted on the Seapro chart repeater if we go down that route (see first part of question above) is there a cheaper way to achieve BOTH options, and if so, any idea what it is?!? Is it possible to both send the NMEA data to the laptop for Seapro purposes AND send the NMEA data via a wifi signal to the iPad, and what kit would we need?

Any help for a Clueless techie gratefully received! And apologies if this is the second appearance of this post!

ianj99

Visit site
How does Seapro get gps and any other nmea data? Via usb?

Assuming it does, then I think you'll need to download the free and very useful navmonpc Navmonpc.

Connect the AIS receiver to the laptop via usb.
Install Navmonpc which will get the gps data and ais data from the two usb ports and route it to a virtual serial port.
Set Seapro to connect to the virtual serial port and it will now get the gps and ais data via navmon instead of directly.
Setup an adhoc network to link the laptop to the Ipad.
Job done.

Ian

Last edited:

Clueless techie

Visit site
Wow! Right: Seapro gets GPS via USB dongle and AIS via serial to USB cable. I follow everything you say to the bit about the virtual serial port. How do I set up a virtual serial port? And 'ad hoc network'? I did say I was clueless!

We are going down to the boat this weekend so if I can get myself clear on what has to be done (and download any necessary SW etc) I will be able to give it a good test!

ianj99

Visit site
Wow! Right: Seapro gets GPS via USB dongle and AIS via serial to USB cable. I follow everything you say to the bit about the virtual serial port. How do I set up a virtual serial port? And 'ad hoc network'? I did say I was clueless!

We are going down to the boat this weekend so if I can get myself clear on what has to be done (and download any necessary SW etc) I will be able to give it a good test!

If Seapro is already displaying AIS targets then you won't need navmon or virtual serial ports. You just need to connect the laptop to the Ipad.
I think on reflection, that the best way is to use a wifi router rather than an adhoc network and as you have a mains supply available, a low cost wifi router is the simplest way.

I used a TP Link WR841N available from Argos, amazon etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1227291.htm

Connect the laptop to the router's wan port so the Ipad and any other devices can then pickup what Seapro is sending.

Ian

Clueless techie

Visit site
Thanks, I think this is where I came in but it does now make much more sense to me! One final question however, is there such a thing as a 12 volt wifi router. We only have mains supply when in a marina ...

ianj99

Visit site
Thanks, I think this is where I came in but it does now make much more sense to me! One final question however, is there such a thing as a 12 volt wifi router. We only have mains supply when in a marina ...

Sorry, I thought you ran the laptop from an inverter so this could supply the router as well.

The TP Link router operates on 9v so not suitable but there are some, eg D Link, that operate from a 12v psu so should be okay on the ships battery. Alternatively, Maplin etc sell car notebook psus which usually have selectable outputs from 9 to 24v.

Clueless techie

Visit site
For information, I also posted my query on the Cruising Association technical forum. From there I have had a number of responses, many matching all the thread above, but one which has put a whole new solution into the mix! So, in case this suits anyone else, here it is:

There is an iPad APP (but also available for android, I think) called Splashtop Personal. It costs a mere £3.99 and enables you to remotely connect to/from your laptop via the shared wireless capabilities. You need to have Internet access initially to set it up but after that it should work without Internet access (I've not yet been able to test that but I'm assured it does, and I have set up a shared network between the two devices to facilitate it).

The setup is fairly easy, although you need to follow all the Help advice re Firewalls and ports, to make sure that the two devices can talk to each other without hindrance. Once I got them working, I was able to run Seapro on my laptop as usual BUT also see it on my iPad AND also control it from my iPad!!! Amazing.

All I really have to resolve now is my power-hungry laptop when under way and how to prevent laptop from going to sleep on passage (not helped by the fact that it is currently stowed IN the chart table so when the lid is shut ... it goes to sleep!).

I hope someone else finds this useful!

Good sailing!

ianj99

Visit site
For information, I also posted my query on the Cruising Association technical forum. From there I have had a number of responses, many matching all the thread above, but one which has put a whole new solution into the mix! So, in case this suits anyone else, here it is:

There is an iPad APP (but also available for android, I think) called Splashtop Personal. It costs a mere £3.99 and enables you to remotely connect to/from your laptop via the shared wireless capabilities. You need to have Internet access initially to set it up but after that it should work without Internet access (I've not yet been able to test that but I'm assured it does, and I have set up a shared network between the two devices to facilitate it).

The setup is fairly easy, although you need to follow all the Help advice re Firewalls and ports, to make sure that the two devices can talk to each other without hindrance. Once I got them working, I was able to run Seapro on my laptop as usual BUT also see it on my iPad AND also control it from my iPad!!! Amazing.

All I really have to resolve now is my power-hungry laptop when under way and how to prevent laptop from going to sleep on passage (not helped by the fact that it is currently stowed IN the chart table so when the lid is shut ... it goes to sleep!).

I hope someone else finds this useful!

Good sailing!

Yes, thanks for that info, I'm sure it will prove useful.

You can disable to power / sleep / lid closure options in Control Panel under 'power options'.

I bought a larger battery for my Acer notebook - it sticks out the back and below it a bit but doesn't obstruct any ports and extends the running time to about 10hours, from about 6. I no longer use it now I have a tablet and the nema wifi interface but its there as a backup.

I can use and/or charge it from the ships supply with a laptop dc-dc convertor, so need for a mains inverter. eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Just-...30-12v-Car-Charger-Power-Supply-/250697392534

I am sure you'll be able to find one for your particular laptop.

Clueless techie

Visit site
Just wanted to report a successful trial of the setup using Splashtop on my iPad with the laptop down below running the Seapro software ... it worked like a dream! And I keep thinking of all the money I have saved!

TSB240

Visit site
Just wanted to report a successful trial of the setup using Splashtop on my iPad with the laptop down below running the Seapro software ... it worked like a dream! And I keep thinking of all the money I have saved!

I had a trial with Splashtop at home this weekend and have managed to access my laptop running Open CPN using my wife's Hudl as a remote!
I found the screen on the Hudl just a little small so I will upgrade using a larger tablet that my son has kindly donated.

Initially i found it difficult to operate but after changing a few settings in open cpn I have touch screen control via the remote of Open CPN in the cockpit. No wires Brilliant.....

The only problem I found was I could not get the software to work directly with the built in wifis on Hudl and laptop.
I eventually set up an old wifi router as an adhoc network. The router will work off 12 volts and draws less than half an amp.

Steve

Clueless techie

Visit site
Steve, check that your internal wifi adaptor on your laptop is not disabled. I had to turn it on on my laptop and it automatically goes off again when I turn the laptop off.