Cheap boats. The end is nigh, The Cheap Boat Thread

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...you'll be off for <£15k. The world's your oyster for the price of a secondhand car.

...rum punches in the carribean, snorkeling in the marquess, exploring the cocos keeling islands, Maldives, spotting orangutans in Madagascar...

(Whats the average monthly spend for a 3-4year cruise circumnavigation?)

As noted by others, it will always be 'up to you/how long is a piece of string' but we went small/simple and noted that when making forays back to the real world, we'd often spend more than our usual weekly costs on a good night out, with a Six-Nations weekend proving comfortably more expensive than a month's live-aboard expenditure.

It's not all good news though scruff; There aren't any orangutans to be spotted in Madagascar

roblpm

Visit site
I see older couples in larger boats about the Med all the time and I wonder why? Big to manouvre, expensive to maintain and cavernous inside. Our 11m has enough to go wrong, without pumping it up and adding extra systems. Perfect for the two of us.

OK.... Some advice please.

I am going to buy another boat sooner or later and I am poorer than the last time I did that! ?

The boats I am looking at are just over 10 metres like you. However some cost conscious people recommend staying under 10m due to marina price jumps. Mine will be on a mooring probably most of the time. Maybe I have just answered my own question.......! Elan 333 is top of my list at the moment although they are all in Croatia!

dgadee

Visit site
OK.... Some advice please.

I am going to buy another boat sooner or later and I am poorer than the last time I did that! ?

The boats I am looking at are just over 10 metres like you. However some cost conscious people recommend staying under 10m due to marina price jumps. Mine will be on a mooring probably most of the time. Maybe I have just answered my own question.......! Elan 333 is top of my list at the moment although they are all in Croatia!

I think up to 10.99 usually keeps you out of the 12m bracket. I am 11.02m.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Proving (yet again) the old adage, that time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted.

True.
But reconnaissance will only get you so far...
You need experience of boatownership too. (the difference between sailing a boat and owning a boat is huge, IMHO)
After over twenty years of sailing as a boatowner I finally bought the boat I should always have owned.
I don't know how many years sailing I still have left, but my current boat will be my last boat. The boat I leave to my children.

E39mad

Visit site
The mood has changed a bit since this thread started but this looks a handy buy:

Jeanneau SunShine Regatta 38 for sale in Isle of Bute United Kingdom (GB)

No doubt: "...with the addition of floor stiffening at a later date by Ardfern boatyard" puts people off but it does otherwise look nice.

They are good sailing boats and well fitted out in comparison to the modern AWB. I'm not surprised though that this one being set up for racing is still for sale.

I think for cruising you would want to be fitting a new bigger engine plus headsail furling gear - lack of wheel will put some off too. I think you could easily add £10000 to that price. Being a Regatta it prioritises berths over stowage and personally would prefer an owners version that comes with a slightly bigger galley.