Cheap boats. The end is nigh, The Cheap Boat Thread

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Several of them already on the beach in Turkey or heading there.
How can anyone seriously expect to get 50-100 million dollars for something that bleeds money and will continue to do so for the forseeable?

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Who cares about the engine... you just need a very very very very long sculling oar ;).

edit

off topic.... anyone have a post or calculation as to the limit of the size of a boat that can be sculled?

Stemar

Visit site
I thought they nearly all did that.
Fixed that for you.

Jissel went back in the water a few days ago. I was concerned about whether the new stern gland would leak. It seems fine, but I found what I thought was a new leak from round the engine seacock. I suspect it may have been leaking for a while, but the steady drip from the old stern gland masked it. Now I have to decide if I can a) rebed the old one between tides, bearing in mind it almost certainly hasn't been disturbed for 50 years. b) replace it between tides or c) take the coward's (sensible?) way out and have her lifted to get it done.

And the alternator that's only a couple of years old has died.

Stemar

Visit site
It probably could - and may well! Unfortunately, unless I've got a lot of out of the water projects, the increasing crane hire costs mean a club liftout is no longer a cheap option, so that'll be a year or two.

One bit of good news, I took my alternator to a repair place and it seems it's fine. The problem must have been corroded contacts somewhere.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
Cheap boats but mooring is still the expensive bit. Come back and tell us when these costs tumble. People can often afford to buy but not to keep. Better if it was possible to afford both.
I always thought the purchase was the cheap bit.

zoidberg

Visit site
. Now I have to decide if I can a) rebed the old one between tides, bearing in mind it almost certainly hasn't been disturbed for 50 years.

You might consider using one of the really excellent waterproof 'gunks' made by the CT1 people, to seal both inside and out, as a 'between the tides' fix. That's a very low cost option which will probably work well for years.

Just mask up the vicinity ( inside and out ), squirt into place like a domestic silicone sealant, make fair with a wet finger..... and leave to skin over.

High'n'Dry

Visit site
We met someone in the Canaries who was doing an Atlantic circuit on an Achilles 24. We met up with him again in the Azores. I believe that after a stormy passage back to the UK he gave up sailing.

It was a tad cramped down below, and the skipper was 6ft.

- W
William Garnier, wrote a book about his Atlantic circuit. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I'm 6'7" and have had 2x Achilles 24, they're cracking boats. I'd confidently sail an ocean in one, rather like Mr Taylor did in Ming Ming II.

Big Bloke, Small Boat: voyage of a madman?: Garnier, William: 9781926635002: Amazon.com: Books

zoidberg

Visit site
Cheap boats? I'm aware someone has just purchased a Cutlass27 on eBay, in good condition with all the bits and strings, for £950-ish. I know someone else who bought a forlorn Hurley 24/70 for £500, pimped it up just a bit, and took it on the Jester Baltimore Challenge - and back.

Stemar

Visit site
You might consider using one of the really excellent waterproof 'gunks' made by the CT1 people, to seal both inside and out, as a 'between the tides' fix. That's a very low cost option which will probably work well for years.

Just mask up the vicinity ( inside and out ), squirt into place like a domestic silicone sealant, make fair with a wet finger..... and leave to skin over.
Thanks, I'll give that a go

dgadee

Visit site
William Garnier, wrote a book about his Atlantic circuit. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I'm 6'7" and have had 2x Achilles 24, they're cracking boats. I'd confidently sail an ocean in one, rather like Mr Taylor did in Ming Ming II.

Big Bloke, Small Boat: voyage of a madman?: Garnier, William: 9781926635002: Amazon.com: Books

Well, I got my hands on a used copy of this after reading your post. Had to give up. Almost unreadable. He should have got an editor to put it into shape.

Although 'used' the copy was unread (I have spent many years amongst 2nd hand books) The dedication indicates it was sent to an old teacher, Jock Mullard at Radley College (boarding for boys, pretty expensive). 'Jock' clearly had the same view as me of its literary standard, except I may have put more effort into reading it than did he.

So, not a madman. Just someone who can't really write.

newtothis

Visit site