Cheap boats. The end is nigh, The Cheap Boat Thread

Resolution

Visit site
Many of us will have gone through our boating lives buying boats and selling them for roughly what we paid for them. I guess we still expect to do so
This was widely true back in the 1980s and 90s, with strong inflation and steady production costs. The inflation disguised the fall in the real value. However IMHO this came to an end in the first few years of this century when inflation flattened and real production improvements enabled the likes of Bavaria to drive down the real cost of new boats.

[165264]

Visit site
Sincerely, good luck and good choice of boat; albeit it's a plastic one ;)
I'm not in the market for a new boat, but would love to be a punter for a boat right now, as I'm convinced that all boats up for sale are worthless, until someone puts in an offer. Until that point, they're consuming money and losing value.
One of the reasons that I'm not after any other boat is the profound loyalty that I feel for my own boat; it'd be a betrayal, but I'd still like a 42' with a shower and heating and a windlass and, and....
My BinL does up houses on the Western Isles, and has no shyness in approaching the owner of any property that's up for sale and offering £5K; never more than that. When the owner refuses, he doesn't take offence, and tells him that the offer's on the table, and if he changes his mind......?
Quite often, the property does become his, he does it up and 'recycles it'.
Music to my ears, as one who is watching and waiting.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
They make great cheap racing boats and can be moored in shallower locations but I have never seen anyone actually go inside the cabin of one (even the one I used to crew on). Sails, though, are where your money would go on that, I suspect.
We met someone in the Canaries who was doing an Atlantic circuit on an Achilles 24. We met up with him again in the Azores. I believe that after a stormy passage back to the UK he gave up sailing.

It was a tad cramped down below, and the skipper was 6ft.

- W

monkfish24

Visit site
I tried to sell Diadem, my Seawolf 26 over a few months last year. It has a good engine, recent work to the mast and the hull is in fine fettle. I had it up for 2k, to try and weed out anyone who didn't know what they were looking at. The interior needs a complete rebuild but would have taken offers near the 1k mark and made that very clear to anyone who came to look at her. I didn't get any serious offers so after 2+ years of sitting in the boat yard, I have now decided to keep her and get her running again. I work abroad for 6 months of the year so it has been hard to find the time alongside renovating a farm.

The problem then is when boats like this come up.... I would love an old rustler next to do some serious cruising, I have the expertise to get a boat like this sorted but feel a certain loyalty to my Seawolf 26 after owning her for over 10 years.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751287842283206/

dgadee

Visit site
I tried to sell Diadem, my Seawolf 26 over a few months last year. It has a good engine, recent work to the mast and the hull is in fine fettle. I had it up for 2k, to try and weed out anyone who didn't know what they were looking at. The interior needs a complete rebuild but would have taken offers near the 1k mark and made that very clear to anyone who came to look at her. I didn't get any serious offers so after 2+ years of sitting in the boat yard, I have now decided to keep her and get her running again. I work abroad for 6 months of the year so it has been hard to find the time alongside renovating a farm.

The problem then is when boats like this come up.... I would love an old rustler next to do some serious cruising, I have the expertise to get a boat like this sorted but feel a certain loyalty to my Seawolf 26 after owning her for over 10 years.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/751287842283206/

Give it away for £1, perhaps? You will end up spending more on yard fees than you are losing.

monkfish24

Visit site
Give it away for £1, perhaps? You will end up spending more on yard fees than you are losing.

Well, I've actually just spent a lot of money on getting her closer to seaworthiness and she will leave plymouth on the 21st to be nearer my home in Falmouth. I have a mooring sorted and so she will come out this winter at my farm for renovation, I worked on sailing yachts for a few years and moved over to motor boats 2 years ago so I am well and truly getting the sailing itch again.

dgadee

Visit site
Well, I've actually just spent a lot of money on getting her closer to seaworthiness and she will leave plymouth on the 21st to be nearer my home in Falmouth. I have a mooring sorted and so she will come out this winter at my farm for renovation, I worked on sailing yachts for a few years and moved over to motor boats 2 years ago so I am well and truly getting the sailing itch again.

Sounds like the window has passed and you'll now have a smaller boat than you really want.

dgadee

Visit site

Sounds like the window has passed and you'll now have a smaller boat than you really want.

monkfish24

Visit site

No, I'm very happy with the Seawolf and plan to refit it based on my new solo sailing needs, she is seaworthy, fast and more than comfortable for me on my own with a few creature comforts added like a diesel heater and some tech to allow me to sail without the need for too much "paperwork". Also, being a superyachty, some memory foam mattresses wouldn't go amiss! :D

dgadee

Visit site
No, I'm very happy with the Seawolf and plan to refit it based on my new solo sailing needs, she is seaworthy, fast and more than comfortable for me on my own with a few creature comforts added like a diesel heater and some tech to allow me to sail without the need for too much "paperwork". Also, being a superyachty, some memory foam mattresses wouldn't go amiss! :D

I have the Seawolf 30. Very nice sailing boat and cheap mooring with the twin keels. Comfort has been upgraded, too.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
I tried to sell Diadem, my Seawolf 26 over a few months last year. It has a good engine, recent work to the mast and the hull is in fine fettle. I had it up for 2k, to try and weed out anyone who didn't know what they were looking at. The interior needs a complete rebuild but would have taken offers near the 1k mark and made that very clear to anyone who came to look at her.

Yeah this tends to be a problem with some sellers. That they think potential buyers need to be weeded out. Someone like me for example could have come along but because the boat was obviously priced outside of its value, why bother bartering when I could easily go find a boat in much better condition for the same price.

If you want to sell the boat, you can't be fussy who you sell it to. The best you can hope for is that you're not messed around and the only way to avoid that is to set a price and claim none negotiable. (Met someone recently who took that very same position, was very much refreshing from a buyers perspective).

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
If you want to sell the boat, you can't be fussy who you sell it to. The best you can hope for is that you're not messed around and the only way to avoid that is to set a price and claim none negotiable. (Met someone recently who took that very same position, was very much refreshing from a buyers perspective).

Exactly.
Sold my previous boat in a month.
Be honest/straightforward and provide as many details as possible.
Good boats, realistically priced to sell.
And in todays market, they sell fast.
Overpriced tat will linger.

steve yates

Visit site
Spoke to a polish lad at Leigh Marina the other day, him and his pal bought a newbridge venturer a few weeks ago in pretty good nick for £500, because whoever was selling it needed some cash fast and couldnt afford mooring fees thanks to lockdown. The ob in the well would be worth that alone!

So the bargains are there.

dgadee

Visit site
Spoke to a polish lad at Leigh Marina the other day, him and his pal bought a newbridge venturer a few weeks ago in pretty good nick for £500, because whoever was selling it needed some cash fast and couldnt afford mooring fees thanks to lockdown. The ob in the well would be worth that alone!

So the bargains are there.

I suspect every yard has these. Usually, though, they are tired - poor sails, but often good engines. But if you can afford the mooring fees it's a good way to learn how to sail.

monkfish24

Visit site
Yeah this tends to be a problem with some sellers. That they think potential buyers need to be weeded out. Someone like me for example could have come along but because the boat was obviously priced outside of its value, why bother bartering when I could easily go find a boat in much better condition for the same price.

I get your point here, still I'm glad it hasn't sold and it was nowhere near unusable as after 5 days of work, I sailed it quite happily from Plymouth to Falmouth. It still is the perfect boat for me after 11 years of ownership and I will refit it this winter to take me further afield with more solo sailing.

dgadee

Visit site
I get your point here, still I'm glad it hasn't sold and it was nowhere near unusable as after 5 days of work, I sailed it quite happily from Plymouth to Falmouth. It still is the perfect boat for me after 11 years of ownership and I will refit it this winter to take me further afield with more solo sailing.

I was just thinking today that my Seawolf is 37 years old. You would never think it - a reasonably modern looking design. And it always gets a kind comment from passers by. Loads of life left in it.

Last edited:

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I was just thinking today that my Seawolf is 37 years old. You would never think it - a reasonably modern looking design. And it always gets a kind comment from passers by. Loads of life left in it

It's is only a figure.
What matters more is how the boat is kept and maintained.
I just bought a 43 year old boat I am hoping will last me another 10-15 years.