Cheap boats. The end is nigh, The Cheap Boat Thread

doug748

Visit site
Old lags will remember that Dylan Winter wanted a dirt cheap, 4 to 5 grand, Westerly Centaur with a knackered engine so he could put an outboard in it. He could not find one at the price.
Lifers will recall that for decades Centaurs fetched between 10 and 15 grand depending on condition.

Look here:

Listing for sale: Tumbet: Westerly Centaur 26ft bilge keeler

Asking £3,750, not at auction. Looks very handy for the money, needs headlining (supplied) and off you go.

New 20hp Beta. Woe, Woe we are all doomed.

dgadee

Visit site
Y
That depends on where you moor and what club you belong to.

I don't tell people how much I pay for my mooring because I don't like to see grown men cry :censored:

I’ll tell you. £387 (but perhaps reduced now with virus) for my 30 footer. £7.50 a week. Isn’t that not much more than cost of a beer in London (when pubs were open).

[163233]

Visit site
I’ll tell you. £387 (but perhaps reduced now with virus) for my 30 footer. £7.50 a week. Isn’t that not much more than cost of a beer in London (when pubs were open).

Wow. The free market must be dead in some corners of the boaty world.

Skylark

Visit site
The Forum seems to be dying on it's arse, we need a bit of light relief in the form of window shopping.

How about an Achilles 24 asking £1500:

Looks very tidy............

There’s “light relief” and then there’s “you’ve got to be kidding” ?

From the 20 pictures I concluded that the kettle may be worth a couple of pounds and the star buy was the Portland Plotter, that must be worth a fiver.

I diagnose that you have a severe case of cabin fever. ?

dgadee

Visit site
I think mooring costs are outside the purview of the Cheap Boat Thread.

How about an Achilles 24 asking £1500:

Achilles - 24 for sale in Conwy Marina, United Kingdom | Boatshop24

Looks very tidy but a marina debt possession so would repay close checking.

They make great cheap racing boats and can be moored in shallower locations but I have never seen anyone actually go inside the cabin of one (even the one I used to crew on). Sails, though, are where your money would go on that, I suspect.

doug748

Visit site
They make great cheap racing boats and can be moored in shallower locations but I have never seen anyone actually go inside the cabin of one (even the one I used to crew on). Sails, though, are where your money would go on that, I suspect.

Indeed. Schoolboy error to try to make an old boat into a new one. Avoid projects; buy, light fettle, sail.
New sails - Ebay is the way.

Here is another one where the engine almost covers the asking price:

Jeanneau - Eolia for sale in Norfolk, Eastern, United Kingdom | Boatshop24

RupertW

Visit site
This has been coming for a long time. The end point is that second hand boats are essentially free but maintenance and mooring costs as expensive as if the boats were 100k plus in value.
That’s fine by me and the biggest issue will be marketing your free boat against all the competition so old rules about well maintained and not too quirky remain just the same as ever.