• REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Cheap boats. The end is nigh, The Cheap Boat Thread

Luminescent

Kek you and me both! I've got a few spots I can berth at but I will be on the hunt for low cost no frills options myself soon enough!

doug748

Grand Vancouver 27 asking under 13k:

Twin keel Hunter Horizon 26 for sale

An attractive package, lots of good gear. Mast in tabernacle, 4ft 6in draught, take it down the French canals or round Cape Horn. If you got it for 10k, you stole it.

Mend the deck next winter or chip it up sometime/never. How sensible it is to have the heads right forward in a small boat.

Long-John Saliva

This has been coming for a long time. The end point is that second hand boats are essentially free but maintenance and mooring costs as expensive as if the boats were 100k plus in value.
That’s fine by me and the biggest issue will be marketing your free boat against all the competition so old rules about well maintained and not too quirky remain just the same as ever.
Just the same as pipe organs for churches.

Long-John Saliva

Good job there's a girt great lump of lead holding it down, or it would have taken off!

Great fun when you're young and invincible, but a gybe like that would be grounds, if not for divorce, at the very least, for a lifetime of solo sailing 😨
Now there's an idea!

Long-John Saliva

I've never been one to follow the logic that if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it... though I have heard the saying many times over the years in particular regards to boating. A bit of a shame as boats are cheaper than some think. I mean they're not an investment for sure, definitely an expense item but that's no excuse not to ask the price, in fact that's just good financial sense at making your money work harder. I think everyone will welcome cheaper marine prices but we have to be careful as I'm not sure that all marinas over charge. I mean some are in high demand so the prices are bumped but others just have high mainetenance costs and could go insolvent if prices drop too much.
Quite- and then they will be lost forever. If they can't make it as a marina, so many of them will become housing, particularly here in the south. Can you imagine if, say, one of the marinas at the top of the Hamble went bust? Waterside flats all over the place at large prices and large profits for the owners/receivers I'd guess.

Reactions: jac

Motor_Sailor

Quite- and then they will be lost forever. If they can't make it as a marina, so many of them will become housing, particularly here in the south.
That was the fear all along the eastern seaboard of the States , especially in Long Island Sound, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, south Florida, etc. Selling the land for condos would realise far more return than would ever be earn't from a marina let alone a boatyard. But the infrastructure would then slowly vanish for a activity that is financially important for many States or cities. So the solution was to 'zone' marine business land with a unique 'M' categorisation and then make it almost impossible to get a 'change of use' of land so designated. Pressure from developers disappeared overnight and boatyards were only as valuable as the marine business they could support.

All very worthy and commendable. Unless you owned a boatyard, part of which was some elevated land on a bluff with spectacular views out over a salt marsh and the setting sun.