Chartplotters

pandos

Visit site
Off to fit a new chartplotter but thinking about a tablet option feedback greatly appreciated
Have a look at this thread. I fitted one and it runs Navionics and amazon prime Netflix etc so probably as good as any tablet...very easy to see in daylight (it's at the chart table but I can see it from the cockpit)

Cost less than 100 quid and replaced the entertainer radio as a bonus...https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/my-covid-19-lockdown-project-10%E2%80%9D-android-car-stereo-to-navionics-chart-plotter.540255/

Allan

Visit site
We had a Raymarine MFD fitted and when I read about it I found it could wi-fi to a tablet. I thought this was a gimmick and might be a thing to mess about with on passage. In fact it's used on pretty much every trip. The MFD is at the wheel and the tablet is at the chart table or under the spray hood. It's proved to be far more than a gimmick.
Allan

DoubleEnder

Visit site
When my chart plotter died I didn’t replace it. I use Navionics on a tablet, and have a spare tablet as back up. Worth getting a decent case.
The screen isn’t as bright as a dedicated plotter. Navionics has fewer clever functions than a dedicated plotter.
But it is big, portable, cheap, updates the charts in real time for £40 a year or less, can also do all the other useful things (banking, shopping, movies, music, radio….) and you can take it home.

maybe if I were equipping a large boat with a full suite of nav gear and had a big budget for big screens, I’d go for it. But for a small boat with limited space the tablet thing works just fine.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
A chart plotter is designed to sit in open air exposed to rain and spray, so can be readily mounted by the helm. It is designed for navigation and ours has up to date tide and currents. Ours cost £800 including depth gauge.

A tablet is not, and even its charging port/cable will corrode in sea air. Our ipad with Wifi & GPS cost about £450

We have both. Plotter for navigation and ipad for taking to the pub/cafe/bar. We also have Navionics a I-sailor on iphones but they are hard to read and have very limited functionality

Cowie

Visit site
Total agree, I have 3 Chartplotters onboard I am removing one at the wheel and upgrading, I am going to fitting a chart plotter not a tablet I appreciate the feedback. Now time to go shopping for a plotter thinking Simrad.

Quiddle

Visit site
A chart plotter is designed to sit in open air exposed to rain and spray, so can be readily mounted by the helm. It is designed for navigation and ours has up to date tide and currents. Ours cost £800 including depth gauge.

A tablet is not, and even its charging port/cable will corrode in sea air. Our ipad with Wifi & GPS cost about £450

We have both. Plotter for navigation and ipad for taking to the pub/cafe/bar. We also have Navionics a I-sailor on iphones but they are hard to read and have very limited functionality
I've had 2 Garmin plotters, situated beneath the sprayhood, which have both failed due to water ingress . I dropped my phone, IP68 and my principal means of electronic navigation, in the sea at the weekend whilst exiting a kayak and it took me 10 minutes to find it by groping around in muddy water. My phone still works perfectly and I can view it anywhere on the boat, unlike my plotters.

Last edited:

Dino

Visit site
Check out the Scanstrut Rokk Mini range of tablet mounts. Very good quality and lots of mounting options

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Total agree, I have 3 Chartplotters onboard I am removing one at the wheel and upgrading, I am going to fitting a chart plotter not a tablet I appreciate the feedback. Now time to go shopping for a plotter thinking Simrad.
yes perhaps if you have a wheel and a place for a plotter in the plinth/console thingy it makes sense to fit one.