Chart plotter slave

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
The current, excellently weatherproof range of B&G MFDs will connect by wifi to a tablet below decks. This will form the basis of my projected electronics upgrade, for which I have already bought some of the components.
My boat is tiller-steered and I have ascertained that I can get close enough to an MFD mounted on the hatch garage using my tiller extension. This will have to suffice until I can afford to install an autopilot.

johnalison

Visit site
Fair enough but can I ask do you have a tablet in the cockpit or is the only screen below?
Yes, I alluded to having an iPad, which I connect via RayControl. I don't use it much because having a loose non-waterproof bit of gear that can't easily be read in the sun, and even less so in a waterproof case, with limited battery life (now improved a bit) is not my idea of fun.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Now what really would be useful is an app that allows you to operate the (Raymarine) plotter from the ipad/tablet at the nav station. Ray "control" is misnamed because it can't operate the autopilot which is rather unhelpful!

Unless someone knows a way...?

Update the MFD software and make sure you have the current version of Raycontrol. Early versions of the MFD/Raycontrol didn't allow autopilot control, but it does work now.

Caladh

Visit site
Everything you need already exists, in fact, you already have it all. You just choose to use everything for purposes it wasn't really meant for and for which it clearly isn't best suited. The plotter was made so it can be used outside, in all weather, with no need to trail charging cables around the cockpit. The iPad wasn't built to be a marine chartplotter, but works perfectly OK below decks.

With respect, you can't blame either company because you refuse to use the devices how they were intended. If you buy a new broom, you can't nicely complain because it doesn't dig the garden very well ;)
You miss my point about having £2ks worth of kit sitting in the cockpit waiting to be stolen - however you choose to secure it. And having worked in IT and I know how these weather proof pieces of kit are actually up to the job. Trying using your plotter when it’s wet. Warranty - might as well not bother. Your arguments although valid do not work well in practice in my experience. Why is it difficult to make a tablet screen that can be seen well in sunlight ? I’ll tell you that it’s already been developed but just been waiting to be drip fed out to the industry. Finally yes I can go and buy another MFD or use your preferred method. All I originally asked was was there a device out there that would suit MY needs. But not perhaps yours.[/QUOTE]

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It does?
Fantastic!
When did this change occur? It didn't work last year.

Not sure when, i did just have a quick look to see if i could find a date, but couldn't. I'm sure i read that they changed it, but i might be wrong. Be a good idea to update everything anyway.

Tranona

Visit site
You miss my point about having £2ks worth of kit sitting in the cockpit waiting to be stolen - however you choose to secure it. And having worked in IT and I know how these weather proof pieces of kit are actually up to the job. Trying using your plotter when it’s wet. Warranty - might as well not bother. Your arguments although valid do not work well in practice in my experience. Why is it difficult to make a tablet screen that can be seen well in sunlight ? I’ll tell you that it’s already been developed but just been waiting to be drip fed out to the industry. Finally yes I can go and buy another MFD or use your preferred method. All I originally asked was was there a device out there that would suit MY needs. But not perhaps yours.
[/QUOTE]
You must keep your boat in a very insecure place if you are worried about it being stolen. Plenty of boats (including mine) have the plotter at the helm either permanently mounted in a pod or on a bracket on the grab bar. Not seen a rash of thefts reported. Given most boats are parked for most of their lives makes sense to cover the helm and instruments. Using when wet does not seem to be a problem otherwise this forum for example would be full of people ranting about the issue Think you will have to wait for a long time for a daylight readable low cost tablet - market for volume just is not there.

The MFD at helm and wireless to a tablet below seems to meet many peoples' needs and it is the one adopted by all the manufacturers through enhancing both their waterproofing and wireless technology.

Caladh

Visit site
You must keep your boat in a very insecure place if you are worried about it being stolen. Plenty of boats (including mine) have the plotter at the helm either permanently mounted in a pod or on a bracket on the grab bar. Not seen a rash of thefts reported. Given most boats are parked for most of their lives makes sense to cover the helm and instruments. Using when wet does not seem to be a problem otherwise this forum for example would be full of people ranting about the issue Think you will have to wait for a long time for a daylight readable low cost tablet - market for volume just is not there.

The MFD at helm and wireless to a tablet below seems to meet many peoples' needs and it is the one adopted by all the manufacturers through enhancing both their waterproofing and wireless technology.
[/QUOTE]
I gave you my reasons for not wanting to do what you are doing and am sorry if my requirements don’t match with yours (or Paul’s). FYI I don’t keep my boat in an insecure place (well I hope not!) but it’s when I’m not there that I’m more concerned about, but thanks for your views on the subject. I so wish innocent questions on this forum wouldn’t deteriorate into “what I do is best”.

Tranona

Visit site

I gave you my reasons for not wanting to do what you are doing and am sorry if my requirements don’t match with yours (or Paul’s). FYI I don’t keep my boat in an insecure place (well I hope not!) but it’s when I’m not there that I’m more concerned about, but thanks for your views on the subject. I so wish innocent questions on this forum wouldn’t deteriorate into “what I do is best”.
[/QUOTE]
Equally sorry that you took it that way. If you are worried by theft, then mount the MFD on a trunnion bracket and remove it when you are not on the boat. That is how mine is mounted, although I have no reason to remove it when I am not at the boat. Really only trying to suggest that the products are designed to be used in a particular and it seems a shame not to make use of these benefits that you have paid a lot of money for.

Caladh

Visit site
Equally sorry that you took it that way. If you are worried by theft, then mount the MFD on a trunnion bracket and remove it when you are not on the boat. That is how mine is mounted, although I have no reason to remove it when I am not at the boat. Really only trying to suggest that the products are designed to be used in a particular and it seems a shame not to make use of these benefits that you have paid a lot of money for.
[/QUOTE]
Yup - certainly paid a lot of money ;)

Slowboat35

Visit site
Sorry about that, i think i might have got it the wrong way around, they may have started out with it working, then disabled it, perhaps. Thanks for posting back.
Well, perhaps not after all! I have just recieved this peculiar response from Raymarine who are clearly trying to be helpful but it's just not written clearly...It's possible it means you can, and might even be saying that the new version will too, you decide. When I get mine running this weekend I'll be able to say for sure.

"There has always been mixed reviews within Raymarine in providing full autopilot controls remotely on an app (safety based questions). These have been reviewed and as such additional conformations are requested (i.e. making sure the operator is aware on their surroundings before enacting).
You might also like to keep an eye out for us releasing a new app called RayControl that will replace RayView/remote/Control as these will be retired due to their age and the ever evolving operating systems of smart devices"

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Well, perhaps not after all! I have just recieved this peculiar response from Raymarine who are clearly trying to be helpful but it's just not written clearly...It's possible it means you can, and might even be saying that the new version will too, you decide. When I get mine running this weekend I'll be able to say for sure.

"There has always been mixed reviews within Raymarine in providing full autopilot controls remotely on an app (safety based questions). These have been reviewed and as such additional conformations are requested (i.e. making sure the operator is aware on their surroundings before enacting).
You might also like to keep an eye out for us releasing a new app called RayControl that will replace RayView/remote/Control as these will be retired due to their age and the ever evolving operating systems of smart devices"

Certainly peculiar, as Raycontrol has been out for a while.

pvb

Visit site
You miss my point about having £2ks worth of kit sitting in the cockpit waiting to be stolen - however you choose to secure it.

Have you ever had anything stolen from your cockpit? I have at least £2K of stuff in my cockpit, but it's never been stolen. In fact, I've never had any electronic kit stolen in more years than I can admit to.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Struck by the poster above bothered about electronic navigation, but can't afford an autopilot. With a tiller steered yacht the installation is relatively trivial too.

I gave the pilot a much higher priority.

Makes everything easier, not just navigation.