Chart plotter slave

Caladh

Visit site
I currently use an IPad over WiFi as a slave on my Raymarine plotter, but ideally would prefer a slave monitor. My plotter is on the chart table and I don’t wish to move it in to the cockpit. There’s nothing obvious out there as far as I can see other than buying another plotter. Any ideas anyone ?

prv

Visit site
I don’t think you have any option apart from a second plotter or building in the iPad on a permanent mount.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Actually, I suppose you could look for some sort of in-build-able device, probably intended for point-of-sale or automation control, that runs Android and can have RayRemote installed on it. Same idea as the built-in iPad, but the form factor may be better.

Pete

Moodysailor

Visit site
I looked into this at the end of last year as we needed to upgrade our MFD and we don't have one in the cockpit. After some research it became evident that the best* solution is an MFD for many reasons - screen brightness, functionality, redundancy and environmental resilience. Every other solution was either temporary, limited in one of the areas or needed some kind of "workaround" that I would then be concerned would suddenly stop working in a future update.

In the end, for budget reasons, we went for the best MFD at the inside helm that we could afford (Raymarine Axiom+) and a cheap Android tablet for outside, with the goal to add another MFD outside as budget permits. It's still early days, but I still might not fit the external MFD though as the tablet works very well and sometimes it's nice to have an uncluttered binacle and sail the 'old fashioned' way.

Another bonus is the tablet goes wherever, it's all very sad but last week I was enjoying watching the wind indication on the tablet screen from my bunk as we hit 33+kts outside.

* - I appreciate "best" is subjective, this is not an invitation to start a debate. Thanks.

johnalison

Visit site
I fitted the plotter at the chart table for a couple of reasons. At the time the plotter wasn't fully waterproof when on a bracket, and with tiller steering it would have had to be fitted under the sprayhood. With Raymarine we had a Multi visible from the helm, but as that would only display one parameter I soon changed it to a Graphic Repeater, which does up to four. I therefore normally sail with a route established on the plotter, so that the display in the cockpit shows, if I wish, distance and bearing to waypoint, plus SOG & COG. When on passage this is really all I need, and I can display the X-track error on the autopilot display as well.

This may seem a bit antediluvian to some but it has served me well for twenty years, and I used a similar set-up with my previous Decca. For rock-hopping I also use an iPad, but we don't get much of this in Essex. I have the advantage that entry to the saloon from the cockpit is quick and easy, since there is scarcely a bridge-deck, so popping in to view the plotter is no great strain.

Kerenza

www.24bit.ltd.uk
lighthouse 3 has miracast. I have an axiom at the helm and a vulcan at the chart table,on thenmea 2000 bus, along with an android 10 inch car head trying to run ray control etc. over wifi. never been stable, unlike the vulcan remote when it was at the helm. much better with two mfd's
There are apps to make an android a miracast receiver.

WoodyP

Visit site
Like much of modern development, which I have missed, l tend to find that a course to steer and distance to waypoint is quite efficient.

johnalison

Visit site
I agree with prv, I have a mfd fixed at the helm and use a repeater tablet below.
No doubt you have wheel steering. I don’t, and a plotter under the sprayhood would only be a little more use to me than one at the chart table. No single solution is going to be right for all boats and all users. For me, having bearing and distance to waypoint plus COG & SOG clearly visible is better than a distant screen with writing that I can’t read. If I am in a racy mood I display VMG plus waypoint data.

Caladh

Visit site
Is there a reason you don't want to move the plotter to the cockpit? Putting the screen designed for outdoor use outdoors, and using the one mostly designed for indoor use below deck, would seem to solve the "bright and sunny" problem.

Pete
I'd rather not have £2K worth of kit on display waiting for a light hand to whip it away. I am aware of all the arguements and against ! It's a shame that RM don't make a slave monitor for outdoor use as they used to do.

prv

Visit site
It's a shame that RM don't make a slave monitor for outdoor use as they used to do.

I don't remember such a product.

They've made a lot of things over the years and obviously I don't know all of them, but it can't have been widely used.

In any case, if they did still make an outdoor display, it would be no use to you because mid-market plotters don't have video outputs to feed them.

Hatteland is a good name in marine displays if that's what you want.

Pete

tidclacy

Visit site
Like much of modern development, which I have missed, l tend to find that a course to steer and distance to waypoint is quite efficient.

+1

mrangry

Visit site
No doubt you have wheel steering. I don’t, and a plotter under the sprayhood would only be a little more use to me than one at the chart table. No single solution is going to be right for all boats and all users. For me, having bearing and distance to waypoint plus COG & SOG clearly visible is better than a distant screen with writing that I can’t read. If I am in a racy mood I display VMG plus waypoint data.
Fair enough but can I ask do you have a tablet in the cockpit or is the only screen below?

Caladh

Visit site
I don't remember such a product.

They've made a lot of things over the years and obviously I don't know all of them, but it can't have been widely used.

In any case, if they did still make an outdoor display, it would be no use to you because mid-market plotters don't have video outputs to feed them.

Hatteland is a good name in marine displays if that's what you want.

Pete
Prior to fitting my modern RM MFD I removed a very old RM b&w plotter which had a slave unit in the cockpit. Can’t recall the model. Maybe Apple ought to develop a tablet that can be decently viewed in sunlight !

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Prior to fitting my modern RM MFD I removed a very old RM b&w plotter which had a slave unit in the cockpit. Can’t recall the model. Maybe Apple ought to develop a tablet that can be decently viewed in sunlight !

Everything you need already exists, in fact, you already have it all. You just choose to use everything for purposes it wasn't really meant for and for which it clearly isn't best suited. The plotter was made so it can be used outside, in all weather, with no need to trail charging cables around the cockpit. The iPad wasn't built to be a marine chartplotter, but works perfectly OK below decks.

With respect, you can't blame either company because you refuse to use the devices how they were intended. If you buy a new broom, you can't nicely complain because it doesn't dig the garden very well ;)

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site

Some Raytheon/very early Raymarine plotter/radars had what were described as repeaters. The technology has improved, as has the implementation, so now the "repeater" is a fully networked second MFD. You can fir one MFD below decks and connect it to depth, speed, wind, autopilot, AIS, charts, radar etc etc and then fit a second MFD at the helm, connected by a single network cable and everything from the "master" MFD is avaiable on the second MFD. You certainly couldn't do anything like that with those old Raytheon displays !!

Better yet, they have developed a free app' that means you can save having to give them a stack of cash for the second MFD and use a tablet, with almost the same functionality of the expensive MFD.

My Garmin plotter is at the helm, connected to depth, wind, speed, AIS, VHF and everything else on the N2K network. I have an Android 10.4" tablet, costing just £200 (cheaper models are available for just £120) and it perfectly mirrors the plotter, including being able to control it and to be able to control the autopilot. I can also do the same from my phone. Both devices have the free app' on them and even use the Garmin charts in stand alone mode. So, for as little as £120 i get a fully functional 10.4" plotter, which can view/control everything on the network and for absolutely nothing (i already have a phone) i get the same in a smaller package.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Now what really would be useful is an app that allows you to operate the (Raymarine) plotter from the ipad/tablet at the nav station. Ray "control" is misnamed because it can't operate the autopilot which is rather unhelpful!

Unless someone knows a way...?