Chaparral new member

Llynchaps

Visit site
Hello, I'm a new member but not new to boating (well sailing at least) so first id like to say hello to everyone.

I've just inherited a 1997 Chaparral 180lse with very low hours and only fresh water use.

However its hasn't been used for 10 years. It was winterized in 2011 and never put back in the water. It has been stored outside with boat covers.

Does anyone have any idea what to do first before putting back in the water?

Many thanks in advance.

Anton

julians

Visit site
Change the engine oil and drive oil

I presume it is raw water cooled, so no need to change the coolant.

Might be worth putting a new impeller in the raw water pumo

take a look at the state of the spark plugs, and ignition leads/distributor and if corroded replace them.

It will probably need a new battery

Take a look at the outdrive bellows - they may need replacing

take the spark plugs out and crank the engine on the starter and check that it builds oil pressure

check the steering works ok, and the power trim

Any old fuel in the tank might have gone stale - so you may need to drain the tank and refill

Fit some flushing muffs to the drive and see if the engine starts and runs fine on dry land, check it goes into and out of forward and reverse gear.

Put it back in the water and go boating.

Last edited:

Llynchaps

Visit site
Thanks
Change the engine oil and drive oil

I presume it is raw water cooled, so no need to change the coolant.

Might be worth putting a new impeller in the raw water pumo

take a look at the state of the spark plugs, and ignition leads/distributor and if corroded replace them.

It will probably need a new battery

Take a look at the outdrive bellows - they may need replacing

take the spark plugs out and crank the engine on the starter and check that it builds oil pressure

check the steering works ok, and the power trim

Any old fuel in the tank might have gone stale - so you may need to drain the tank and refill

Fit some flushing muffs to the drive and see if the engine starts and runs fine on dry land, check it goes into and out of forward and reverse gear.

Put it back in the water and go boating.
Thanks Julian for your reply.

I'm going to do most myself then send it to someone.

Cheers

Llynchaps

Visit site
Pay a trustworthy mechanic to give it a thorough service - explain the situation thoroughly.

Thanks for your reply,

I wish I knew a trustworthy mechanic. I always think they rip you off. I'm going to do most myself and then work out where to send it. I'm in Manchester so not many marine engineers about.

Cheers

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Thanks for your reply,

I wish I knew a trustworthy mechanic. I always think they rip you off. I'm going to do most myself and then work out where to send it. I'm in Manchester so not many marine engineers about.

Cheers
You're lucky you don't live in France! - I don't think the French have a word for trustworthy!

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Thanks for your reply,

Cheers
Hi
As you are Manchester based you are close to the lake district, a friend of mine used to have a boat on the lake before the speed limit ban, he used a good local guy I am sure they are still around the area, failing that the Chapparal dealer in the UK is based in Pwhelli, If that is to far I have used a good place on Deeside Industrial Estate ?

Llynchaps

Visit site
Thanks we do have a place in Abersoch and for that reason didn't want to use the inflated Llyn peninsula prices. I've emailed a place in the lakes and they haven't replied. Ill give deeside a try... Many thanks for the information...

Kawasaki

Visit site
Lynchaps
I cant 'PM' you yet I think you have to post a few more 'things'
I can give you advice about who to use etc in Your /My area
07935 307100
Call or message anytime
Anyne else too I dont give a h"t who has my number
Dont ask me for tonights winning Lottery numbers though
Wouldnt share em even if I knew!
:giggle: :giggle:

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Kwakers will see you right, he has been a native of the area since steamboat times ?
We also are based in Abersoch, I previously used Llyn Marine as my last boat had Volvo engines, to be fair they charge less per hour than my dealership when getting my car serviced ?

Llynchaps

Visit site
Thanks for both replies; sorry its took so long I'm still navigating the site and hadn't noticed I'd had a reply. I've managed to find a trustworthy mechanic. He's getting started out of season so ALL good.

Thanks again.