Chaparral Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_si

web.mac.com
We were at SIBS today to decide on what boat to buy...

All was going well as we had our self imposed budget and wish list for the thing itself, using the Monterey 218 as a benchmark.

Fly in the ointment... The Chaparral 215.

The room in the cuddy blew us both away, the layout and generally everything about the boat was great, verging on perfect for our needs.

However, we would like to hear from various horses mouths what are Chaps' like? Aftersales, livewith'ability, quality, etc.

We are torn between the 218 Monty and the 215 Chap'.

Thanks heaps!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We are torn between the 218 Monty and the 215 Chap'.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be hard pressed to beat the 218 Monterey for seakeeping. It is a stunning hull and drives like a train. Look beyond the cosmetics, unless of course you want to just sit in the marina. Internal accomodation can mean that other things have been sacrificed. Do you want a boat or a caravan on the water?

GC1

N/A
Visit site
Look at the Larson 220 Cabrio Cruiser I have heard from a source that they are absolutely fantastic boats /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif They have a stepped hull and the fantastic performance of the 5.0 Gxi with stainless steel duo prop can be verified by forum members. A very good sea boat with a very social cockpit (tested by forum members), loads of sleeping area and massive with the camper canvas up. I have heard that the dealers Littlehampton marina have a new 220 for sale and a one year old with every available option fitted including a special trailer for the stepped hull, hope this helps.

see :- http://www.larsonboats.com/cabrio/cabrio220.asp

Riggy

Visit site
We have had a Chaparral 260 Signature (diesel Kad 43) for nearly two years and it beats the pants off quite a lot of other boats in it's class (and bigger) for build quality, associated accessories and performance. You can sleep 4 on it comfortably (just like a caravan) but it doesn't look, feel or more importantly DRIVE like a caravan. Wonderful sea-keeping qualities, great stability. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Chaparral if the other models are anything like ours.
Chaparral have won an amazing amount of design and quality awards in the last 25 years.
Have friends with Glastron, Regal, Sealine boats etc and wouldn't condemn them at all.....just replying to the questionon Chaparral boats.
Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KCook

needsabeach.com
On this side of The Pond the Chaparrals are considered a little better quality than Monterey. With a corresponding price difference. Which is not to say the Montys are poor or the Chaps are flawless. I don't know if they are available in your market, but Four Winns also makes a nice cuddy type in that size. FW sitting in between Monty and Chap on the food chain.

Kelly Cook

big_si

web.mac.com
Shelley and I looked at many cuddies in our bracket, a couple we looked at were not even on the list. I think we looked at about 15 in all and for one reason or another (due to what we wanted and liked) we got down to the Chap and the Monty.

We looked at FW but with the deals and the fact that the salesman was really pushing us to go for petrol, I am not going to be pushed in to anything, especially if the only arguement is that red diesel might rise in price!

With the deals we got, there is about 3 or 4k difference. Both boats have most of the extras available.

Alistairr

Visit site
Yip, there good boats, If talking Chapparel, ask to speak to Alan Stirling(Stirling Marine), a friend of mine, sells them, always takes the stand at LIBS and SIBS, he is always prepared to do a Deal!

Also have a look at the Rinker 232, salesman there is called Robin(Cambrain Boats), We had one, its got a huge cuddy, presurized water, gas stove, and a store away porta potti, I'm 6'4" and the cuddy was plenty big enough for my wife and i, we put heating on ours and used it most weekends.
If you need any phone numbers, just ask.

Good luck with your choice!.

Cheers

Alistair.

Rinker Pics can be seen here:
www.alistairrichardson.co.uk

Nautorius

Visit site
As a past owner of 2 Chaparrals they are great boats. Our first Cuddy was the 205SSE with a 4.3l Mercruiser in it. We loved the boat. Very solid build, good detail touches and great handling boats. We took the 205 from Hamble point to Poole, then to Alderney, St Peters Port, Cherbourg and then Cowes (all in one week).

They are top quality boats that are made to be used. Good cuddies, great flip up bolster seats, full height canopies, good SS fittings. We were very happy with it. We later had a 240 Signature that again was an amazing boat that we towed to Menorca and blasted it round the Island for three weeks.

I can not fault them and would have another tomorrow. The dealer we used was in Pwelli (sorry for spelling) and was great. Great to live with, great to use, fun yet still solid. The hull designs were IMHO the best of all the US/Canadian built boats. Resale was also solid on both, and very easy to move on. They have quite a following.

As a first cuddy the 205SSe did everything and more. With hindsight would have gone straight for the 240 but that is part of the fun. BTW we paid £21,850 new for the SSE and got back £19,950 16 months later as a trade in.

If you have any concerns let me know,

Paul

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
We had a Chapparal cuddy and for a small boat the ride is superb, couldn't believe how it flattened out 2-3 foot chop at speed. We sold it and got a 240 Signature, also a great boat and great layout and build quality. px'd the 240 for a Sealine S37, and the guy who took it in px ended up keeping it two seasons he liked it so much.

big_si

web.mac.com
Thanks all for the replies.

We have decided on the Chap' and will give Stirling Marine a call tomorrow to lay down a deposit on a 2006 Chaparral 215!!

With the deal given to us at the show and a couple of other things it was an offer too good to miss.

We must still thank the guys at Southwater Marine for their help and patience shown to Shelley and I, especially the ginger chap, whose name escapes me. Thank you.

We are both really excited about this and cannot wait for spring!

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

We must still thank the guys at Southwater Marine for their help and patience shown to Shelley and I, especially the ginger chap, whose name escapes me. Thank you.

We are both really excited about this and cannot wait for spring!

[/ QUOTE ]

That will be Tom, very nice guy.

Have fun with the boat. Oh if you want any training, just PM me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.