Channel islands 22 or seafarer 21

Flipflop1982

Visit site
Ive only had planing hulls in the past with both inboards and outboards. Whilst speed to fishing marks is good, and room is ok to drop a few rods over the side am looking to buy something a bit more stable that can handle a bit more sea.
Im based in the solent area and currently have a soft mud drying mooring.
Ive been looking at both the seafarer 21 and channel islands 22 as i would like to get back to a more economical diesel engined boat so outboards are out as petrol prices now would send me to an early grave.
Both seem to have good space and shelter, so a weekend or so at sea fishing would be comfortable.
Both are sometimes listed as displacement or semi displacement. I guess this depends on engine size.
Im happy to compromise on speed for more stability but higher cruising speeds would always be nice.
Does anyone have any advice regarding these two boats, or pros and cons over eachother?
Both look very similar in the classic lines that i have loved for years.
I have a max budget of 10k.

Thanks

Ferris

Visit site
If you do a forum search you will see many threads recommending the Channel Islands 22. It has a semi-d hull and a top speed of 14kts+ with a single 140hp ford turbo 4 which seems to be the configuration that delivers the highest speed. Also the single prop is protected by the keel so its more suitable for drying out although you mention soft mud so that may not be a consideration. Apparently the CI22 punches above its weight in a sea and reportedly all completed boats delivered themselves from Jersey.

Not so clear about a Seafarer but that seems to be a displacement hull with a (guess) top speed of 6-7kts.

Surely if constrained by tide a higher cruising speed would be desirable?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If you do a forum search you will see many threads recommending the Channel Islands 22. It has a semi-d hull and a top speed of 14kts+ with a single 140hp ford turbo 4 which seems to be the configuration that delivers the highest speed. Also the single prop is protected by the keel so its more suitable for drying out although you mention soft mud so that may not be a consideration. Apparently the CI22 punches above its weight in a sea and reportedly all completed boats delivered themselves from Jersey.

Not so clear about a Seafarer but that seems to be a displacement hull with a (guess) top speed of 6-7kts.

Surely if constrained by tide a higher cruising speed would be desirable?

I had a a CI22 for about 9 years, it had a Mermaid 140hp, max speed was almost 19kts. It was a great little boat, it coped with many rough trips without any issues. I’d have another one quite happily, however I suspect you’ll be hard pushed to get a good one with the 140hp for £10k.

Watch out for leaking windows and drooping headlining, hopefully both problems will have been sorted by now. Good luck with your search.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Good bits ref the Channel Island 22
Extremely sea worthy 2 footer
honestly the things think they are 35 foot ploughing into a head sea
Well built
Sleep two 4 at push
Galley area
Standing room Heads
Well, for a short Celt!
Will take the ground to soft mud but need beaching legs for owt else
Grab rails etc and proper toe rails enable you to go forward safely
Mine had a 140 single Mermaid turbo by he time I had fettled it She made 19.4 kts and cruised lovely at 12/14 kts
The twin engine versions are nice that you can access the cabin more easely (the big single turbo was a big box!) and manouver about a marina etc quite nicely
the 140 turbo used about 2.5 galls an hour at 14 kts

Bad bits
They are quite old now
The smaller engined twins will only make 14 kts flat out, ish
The single 140 , if the engine box insulation is ken ackered you need strong lungs to communicate when flat out!
The headlinings etc in the cabin might be a bit stuffed by now too
All in all I would have another one

Bit of History
Built by Silver Yates Plastics in the CI'S
First six if I remember had no wheelhouse
Later ones were fabricated and it was a 'bolt on'
Then a complete 'moulded' hull and wheelhouse was made
Up to 1981 the the gunnels had a choire rop fender
After that 'D' rubber fending was introduced
Most have been replaced by now by rubber I would think
Leaving out the good bits bad bits Theme
Great weekender for a couple of fit peeps
Only 22 ft remember
Having said that
'We' that was Me Her Indoors plus 3 Childers (6, 8 and 12) did Ireland, Isle of Man and back to Anglesey one week
Divorce Papers where served and Social Security did call but all was resolved later!!!
Jocking aside
Proper boats
I have only had experience of the Seafarer you mentioned when I delivered one to Anglesey from Porthmadoc a reasonable Trip of about 60/70 miles
There is no comparison IMHO

Flipflop1982

Visit site
Thanks for all of the info, i guess you all have just confirmed my first choice of the two.
The extra speed would be welcome, but as i tend to fish for long periods instead of a couple of hrs here and there, staying out til next high tide wiuldnt be an issue in a comfortable boat. Mooring is axcessible afor about 2 hrs either side of HW, i work from home on flexible hrs too so that helps.
I had a deep water mooring and changed to the cheaper drying knowing this would be fine. I guess you get what you pay for, and i can always go back to deep water if not.

Out of interest what tweaks were made to the engine to get 19kts?
I prefer the layout of the twin engines, but a single still gives decent space. As the mermaids seem pretty much bulletproof im happy to have just the one. Ive seen a couple online at or below 10k which need tarting up a bit. Im happy to do so if it means im taking a boat and giving it the care it deserves.

Also, what is the plate that runs along the stern of thw CI22's? I see one person online who has put trim tabs that bolt directly onto this which seems silly considerig it probably doesnt move. Is it for trim? Ive never seen anything like it, just keep thinking id not like to go for a swim and sforget about it when my shin is in the way!

Thanks for the help!

Kawasaki

Visit site
Thanks for all of the info, i guess you all have just confirmed my first choice of the two.
The extra speed would be welcome, but as i tend to fish for long periods instead of a couple of hrs here and there, staying out til next high tide wiuldnt be an issue in a comfortable boat. Mooring is axcessible afor about 2 hrs either side of HW, i work from home on flexible hrs too so that helps.
I had a deep water mooring and changed to the cheaper drying knowing this would be fine. I guess you get what you pay for, and i can always go back to deep water if not.

Out of interest what tweaks were made to the engine to get 19kts?
I prefer the layout of the twin engines, but a single still gives decent space. As the mermaids seem pretty much bulletproof im happy to have just the one. Ive seen a couple online at or below 10k which need tarting up a bit. Im happy to do so if it means im taking a boat and giving it the care it deserves.

Also, what is the plate that runs along the stern of thw CI22's? I see one person online who has put trim tabs that bolt directly onto this which seems silly considerig it probably doesnt move. Is it for trim? Ive never seen anything like it, just keep thinking id not like to go for a swim and sforget about it when my shin is in the way!

Thanks for the help!

To 'tweek' the boat I went back to all the origional manufacturers 'spec' ref prop etc etc
She was an 1981
I bought her in 92 if I remember
She conked out on the first launch with 'crud' in the fuel tank and fuel system!
Tank out and 'minted'
Fuel pump sent away to a lorry type place to be fettled
Thats the beauty of those motors
Totally got the hull back to bare
So no old antifoul on Her and re painted
Went to Castle Marine in Caernarfon and got them to make a new prop to the best spec
New injectors
Re did the stern gland system too
Basically re built Her, too much to type on here!!
If you can find origional brochure stuff (lost all mine) it mentions the vessel will reach said velocity with the 140 turbo when new
One thing I did off my own Bat was to alter the spec of the origional rudder which was what is called a 'balanced' affair
Again, to explain that now would be rather tedious
The plate as you call it is like an extended fixed trim tab
What it does/ did is quite clever because it extends the hull length
This gives more speed by way of a formula that 'Boffins' could explain better than me
Basically a Displacement Vessel's speed is governed by it's hull length
Similarly a semi displacment boat is so similar, especially at ft
Putting extra trim tabs on is not a good thing with the Channel Island 22
What the chap was trying to maybe, was overcome another performance problem with the boat
Most importantly
Take care of your shins
Yes
The layout of the twins is nice I agree
Twin Volvos where fitted to many
Friend hand one
Max speed was 13 kts, just about semi displacing
Oh
You mentioned earlier
Some descriptions mentioned the boat was 'displacement'
No, the hull form, all where 'semi' just that some without enough HP would only achieve displacement speed
Whilst browsing the Web some time ago I saw somebody had fitted a more modern later engine to one
That would be nice
However, what I did to shut the Mermaid up!
Was to strip the meagre pretty rotten sound proofing away and fit plenty of new more techinical stuff, that helped
Plus I got an uphosterer chap to make a thicker 'cushion' on the engine box with a real thick lump on the forward end
That was the seat/perch for Her Indoors!
So we didn't have a starboard side fold down seat arrangement which encrossed on Her ability to get in the cabin for a pee whilst I concentrated on more important matters
Where you are based from my experience
You need a vessel that will achieve 14 kts minimum and cruise at 12
Based on what you say you want to do
Up here, from what I have wanted and want to do 16 kts is needed
Whilst I remember
'Tweaks'
The Mermaid 140 turbo loves to 'Breath' so the intake system ie the air filter etc needs to be made sure it has no blockage
So
It was a properly set up injector pump
New injectors
New bearing in the turbo
Now shins need protecting
That is really important too
I actually fitted an extended boarding ladder and thought about a rubber buffer thing around the fixed tab
The latter would have been £2.50 and Her indoors wanted a hair doo!
:D

Flipflop1982

Visit site
A fantastic amount of detail here Kawasaki. Thank you, that explains alot. Ive also been thinking of the engine box as second seat so aisle can be clear.
I have a friend who is a mechanic, so he may be spending alot of time tinkering to get best performance.
Cheers

pondfish

Visit site
There is a guy on face book selling a channel island 22 his name is leigh cummins he has done a lot of work and money on it. A tidy looking boat
New canopy,
Brand new heater,
It's a twin mermaid,
Based in Cardiff bay,

Phone No 07850698900

Last edited:

pondfish

Visit site
Sorry bud I don't know how to do it :nonchalance: :ambivalence:
just search his name or phone him tell him Nye gave you his number

Kawasaki

Visit site
It does look pretty good, but twin 43hp will give, at a guess, a maximum of about 10kts. And what is that gas bottle doing in the heads?

Spot on Long John
A good friend and very experienced boat chappie friend of mine had the same set up in one
WOT was 12 in flat water, with the wind behind!
Yep, that bottle too, odd?
Should be in the cockpit/ wheelhouse as yer knows innit

Flipflop1982

Visit site
That is a lovely looking boat, and i enquired about it a few days ago, its under offer now with deposit being paid this weekend apparently. I missed out on a cracking one in southampton by a matter of weeks too by the looks of it.

Flipflop1982

Visit site
Thanks for posting the link to the boat on FB. Although a lovely boat sadly isnt the 140hp single im looking for.
Im.in no rush, so can wait and see what comes up. The more i read about them, the more im sure its a perfect fit of a boat.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Thanks for posting the link to the boat on FB. Although a lovely boat sadly isnt the 140hp single im looking for.
Im.in no rush, so can wait and see what comes up. The more i read about them, the more im sure its a perfect fit of a boat.

There was another thread about buying a CI22, maybe early last year, in which someone gave a link to a real beauty that had been re engined with a Yanmar 140 (or more?) with lots of other work carried out. No doubt it was snapped up , but worth a search on ybw for the thread.