CHANNEL CROSSING ??

NickPD71

Visit site
Hi

I am very new to both YBW and sailing in general !
Please be gentle ?
I am looking for some opinions on crossing the English Channel to cherbourg next summer. My experience sailing on the sea is minimal at this point I might add!

I am hoping to cross to raise some money for charity but also to experience the fulfilment of joy having done so !
I have a 6 metre twin keel kingfisher k20 ( Dont Laugh) I would like to use for the occasion.
I enjoy a challenge !
Any thoughts and feelings you might have would be great!

Many thanks !

eddhewett

Visit site
Nothing wrong with the boat but the skipper needs to know what they are doing!
It won’t take you long to get up to speed. Get some tuition and tell your instructor what you intend to do.

Don’t take it lightly or you could end up endangering the lifeboat crews and scaring yourself away from sailing.

Enjoy the challenge.

NickPD71

Visit site
Thanks for your reply!
I am in the middle of completing the Day Skipper course only covid 19 left me unable to complete the practical side on the solent!
I know I need some sea miles to gain experience and to build cofidence which o am really looking forward to.
Do you know much about the k20? I know very little !

Thanks for your advice, it all helps!
There is some light at the end of the tunnel for all who sail , fingers crossed!

Cheers

eddhewett

Visit site
Afraid I don’t know much about the k20 except what it looks like and some basic stats but I do know on the right day it should be more than up to the task. People have done incredible trips in small boats and so long as you can wait for the right weather window you and your k20 should have a fantastic time.

You could work your way up to the channel crossing by taking on longer and longer coastal passages in your boat where you will always be able to pull in should you feel it’s necessary but also don’t forget it’s much slower to learn on your own.
Keep sailing with more experienced sailors whenever you can and learn all the tricks you can from their experience.

You will want to be confident with night sailing and also shipping before crossing the channel.

I wonder where you two will choose as your next target after the crossing...

Sharky34

Visit site
Hi

I am very new to both YBW and sailing in general !
Please be gentle ?
I am looking for some opinions on crossing the English Channel to cherbourg next summer. My experience sailing on the sea is minimal at this point I might add!

I am hoping to cross to raise some money for charity but also to experience the fulfilment of joy having done so !
I have a 6 metre twin keel kingfisher k20 ( Dont Laugh) I would like to use for the occasion.
I enjoy a challenge !
Any thoughts and feelings you might have would be great!

Many thanks !
Start the week before, in a boat that small its going to take a little while.;)

Sharky34

Visit site
Afraid I don’t know much about the k20 except what it looks like and some basic stats but I do know on the right day it should be more than up to the task. People have done incredible trips in small boats and so long as you can wait for the right weather window you and your k20 should have a fantastic time.

You could work your way up to the channel crossing by taking on longer and longer coastal passages in your boat where you will always be able to pull in should you feel it’s necessary but also don’t forget it’s much slower to learn on your own.
Keep sailing with more experienced sailors whenever you can and learn all the tricks you can from their experience.

You will want to be confident with night sailing and also shipping before crossing the channel.

Also need to sail out of sight of land, that in itself can be a worry for some, coastal passages don't do that.

NickPD71

Visit site

Also need to sail out of sight of land, that in itself can be a worry for some, coastal passages don't do that.

dombuckley

Visit site
The Kingfisher 20 is a tough wee boat, with a lot of features which make her more suited to offshore sailing than some of her more modern counterparts, such as bullet-proof rig, a proper bridgedeck at the companionway and cockpit lockers which do not drain into the bilge. I know of one that sailed to the Azores and back in 2008, but suspect there are other venturesome voyages which have been successfully completed.

A bit slow beating to windward, but can keep up with more modern designs on a beam reach, so pick a day with a decent steady westerly wind.

NickPD71

Visit site
Thankyou for

NickPD71

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up with the boat! I will also take any opportunities available to sail ( When were Covid free!!)