Ch4 titanic fire..

Slowboat35

Fire?
Er - Titanic...she hit an iceberg...
Both Max and Titanic were caused by incompetent crew failing to carry out normal procedures, but how does fire come into either?

Or is this a typo?

Last edited:

nigel1

It's well known that there was a fire in the coal bunkers. It's been speculated that may be the reason why the ship was going at full speed in order to get into port and have assistance to exinguish the fire. Another theory is that the fire could have caused the hull steel to become brittle and weakened, so that the damage from the iceburg was worse than it would have been with no fire.

Biggles Wader

Seen the bunker fire story before and I think it is a red herring. The Titanic sank because she hit an iceberg while going at full speed. The damage caused flooding that exceeded the design parameters and glug glug. Why she was still going at full speed in an ice field at night is not really relevant. Hubris was quite normal then, as it still is.

Salt'n'shaken

I watched the documentary on the fire a couple of years back. Found the explanation wholly plausible with quite a large amount of supporting evidence that the fire was raging before she left.

We'll never know for sure, but I was left pretty convinced that it was a major factor in the disaster and led to her sinking rapidly.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but there was a fair bit of evidence for the covering up of the fire, both while it was burning and afterwards.

Slowboat35

The whole point of conspiracy theorys is that they are made to sound plausible. But just because something could or might have happened is not reason to accept that it did.

The first question to ask, surely, is why was nothing known of this until some TV doco a century later?

Last edited: