vas

Visit site
hello,

got an oldish system that works fine and plan to keep it comprising of:

CETREK 930618 distribution box
CETREK 930577 fluxgate compass sensor
CETREK 930807 rudder feedback system
CETREK 930727 keyboard controller

and for the flybridge a 930702(?) which is thoroughly fcked...

SOOOO, looking for something that will replace it and work for the basic stuff, engage/disengage and course trim, no fancy digital stuff needed, no lcds just a pot and a switch would do.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Vassilis

DomLeBel

Visit site
Spares

hello,

got an oldish system that works fine and plan to keep it comprising of:

CETREK 930618 distribution box
CETREK 930577 fluxgate compass sensor
CETREK 930807 rudder feedback system
CETREK 930727 keyboard controller

and for the flybridge a 930702(?) which is thoroughly fcked...

SOOOO, looking for something that will replace it and work for the basic stuff, engage/disengage and course trim, no fancy digital stuff needed, no lcds just a pot and a switch would do.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Vassilis

Hi Vassilis,
where are you located?
The Cetrek pilots of those years were extremely advanced pilot for their time and the top of the line.
A switch and a pot could not be understood by the distribution box named course computer nowadays.
The heads, whether the Propilot 700, 725 or 750 or the Powerhelm 707 or 777 or the 727, 737, 757 or 780 were all microprocessor controlled. I have laid my hands on a few in the past 10 years, upgraded their software by copying more recent ones on EPROM of older ones, kept a few as spares until now. These heads are running 8 bits microprocessors. The compas, the 577 is running a 16 bits microprocessor, the same as the 618 or 628 box.
From what you are saying, you probably have a Powerhelm 707 because the Propilot line is more recent than your set-up.
Looking at my spares, i do have a brand new 707 but recently thinking it was a 727 and a used 727. Both appear to have the same footprint so either should fit in your FB console.
Before putting them on eBay with all my 618 stuff (i have switched to a 619 set-up with 750 head and rate gyro), i need you to tell me when you fire your pilot what does the head say at boot-up, right after SYSTEM, it starts with REV X/X where X/X can be 4/8, 4/9, 7/8 or 7/9.
I need that to check your excat set-up to garantee you it will work flawlessly.
Regards
Dominique

vas

Visit site
Dominique,

sorry for not replying earlier, just managed to get some time to photograph things and post a comprehensive (I hope) reply here.

First, the two heads we are talking about are these:

cetrek_727-702labels.jpg

fb_ap_1.JPG

fb_ap_2.JPG

For sure the flybridge control is NOT microprocessor controlled.

BTW, there is also a custom box that looks like this that is currently connected but haven't had the chance to try it, will do tomorrow.

fb_ap_contr_1.jpg

fb_ap_contr_2.jpg

it's also dead simple, custom job and just using switching one for on-off and two more buttons, one to turn to port one to stbrd.
Now, what I don't know is whether the 702 was indeed connected to the 618 or was part of an earlier setup and was left there after the update and the new custom box was used... I have a feeling that both would work as the logic is identical. Your views please

ATM, the 727 is at home to be fitted with a connector so that I can easily plug it in and out for maintenance and removal of the panel where it fits. Should be able to test fit it and fire up the system tomorrow so that I can give you the # that appears on boot up.

What I really want to have up in the fb is a very discrete way of switching on and off the a/p and changing course. So the idea of a toggle switch and a pot is absolutely fine. Further, I want to integrate it in the new f/b helm design which means that it's unlikely I'll be very keen on a largish ext. mounted white box. Since I've no idea how the bits of kit you're referring to look like, I'd really like to have your overall comments and a few photos of the relevant f/b controllers you'd recommend!

Else, I'm happy to buy a new pot and use another ip switch and be done with
Ah, since you asked, I'm in Greece, Athens or Volos address is fine for any delivery.

cheers

V.

DomLeBel

Visit site
the homemade black box appear to be a copy of a 930-797 Dodge and Course Control. I had one before i upgraded my unit to 609.
Here how it works. Pressing the white button switches the pilot from standby to control after the pilot would have been turned on by the 727 head. I do not recall if the red led is standby or if it is the green. In either position the red and green button are either to change course or to power drive the rudder. The thing to remember is it switches from standby to control and from control to standby, it does not turn it off. In control, you can change course by tuggling the red or green button.
If the only thing you want is that, you do not need anything else, you already have it.
Give me a few days to look into my paperwork, i do have the schematic of it. So if you need fixing it, you will know how. I might also have the operating manual also.
This connect to the 618 trough an A/D interface on the microprocessor, so there is electronic involved but iis in the box and not in the gizmo which is three swith and two leds with their resistor and diodes if i recall right.
As far as your 702, it is possible this was the remote for the 701 head 600 box pilot which was analog thus a switch and pot could do it. The 701 was switch to turn on/off, standby, etc.., pots to adjust course, seastate, taw, etc...and lights to indicate

vas

Visit site
connected the 727 today, all works fine, rudders moving (boat going nowhere as it's on the hard :rolleyes: )
On bootup it says

REV 7/9

hope that helps.

BTW, also with the 727 in command and in pilot mode, went up the f/b checked the custom black box, the red led was on, pressed the single white button, it would toggle pilot/standby mode (and the red led as well...). Used the red/green buttons and would steer to port and stbrd. So, the custom black box IS working.

Now, I wonder if the 702 whose remains I have now was ever hooked onto the 618 or was part of an older setup...

As I said on the previous post I like the idea of a toggle and a pot compared to fancy stuff, but we'll see.

So Dominique, waiting for your reply!

cheers

V.

DomLeBel

Visit site
Vassilis,
REV 7/9 means you have latest software on the 930727 and may be the latest software on the 930618 box because yoy have 9. It could be 9.0 or 9.2 which is the latest. I do not know if a 9.1 was ever created. I do not know the difference between them.
I have perused through my paperwork and 702 do not belong to a 930618 box but to a 600 which was analog not digital.
Looking at the schematic i have, your 702 is not the same as mine show two LED on each side of the DPDT switch (one for engage and second for disengage) but two are not necessary so it may be a custom made 702 with one LED or a different vintage. The small PCB should have 6 resistor and one transistor according to my schematic. Looking at the picture, it appears to have a few component welded on the other side, so it is probably it.
I checked the schematic of a 930717 which is a remote power steer (a pot and switch) and your 702 is far too complex. I would not know if it can disengage once engaged but my understanding is once engage, you turn the pot and the rudder takes the exact angle the pot uses. These pots are not regular since they turn only to a maximum of 45 degrees on either side.
According to both schematics, the two pots (702 vs 930717) have the same resistance value
I checked the schematics of the 930797 and it is what your black box is. No diodes.
Enjoy your boating season.
Dominique

vas

Visit site
Dominique,

thanks very much for the info and help!

So it looks like I do have a viable solution (just get hold of proper IP65+ switches and be done with ;) )
I wonder if it would be possible to get hold (or built even!) a 930717, although I'm not sure I like the idea of the pot being the actual direction, I fail to see how this setup will revert to the original direction as set by the plotter.
My idea of the f/b control is that something is in front (most likely lobster pot, or other craft) and I want to dodge to port or stbrd for a while and resume the direction later on. Yes, I know I can simply put the a/p in standby and manually steer where I want and resume afterwards...

Anyway, its becoming more of a discussion and it's the wanted section, so I'll shut up.

cheers

V.

DomLeBel

Visit site
Vassillis
You are right, IP65 switches and good gasket around the leds, and you have it.
The 717 is only a power steer thing, it can only control the rudder, i am not even sure you can engage the pilot with it. I believe it moves from stand-by to power steer.
Besides, i have no idea how you can find these types of pot.
It is not a feature which would interest me. I guess this could be usefull on a work boat to control the rudder while attending something outside the pilothouse.
Enjoy your season
Dominique

migs

Visit site
Hi Dominique,

I read this thread with interest as I also use a Cetrek autopilot. My system is:

930609 Computer
930715 Control
930580 Compass
930837 Rudder Feedback
930165 Hydraulic Pump

I'd like to make a homemade 797? remote control box and would be most grateful if you could send me a copy of the circuit / manual. Would it work with my system?

Also, do you have a circuit / manual for a 702? pot steering remote and would this work as well?

Alternatively, do you know where I could download the information?

Regards... Mike

nikko64

Visit site
Hi Dominique, I read in the previous post that you have spare partd for cetrek autopilot. I need compass sensor 930577, do you have it? Please let me know...
Regards
Niko

cotedenuits

Visit site
Dominique,

I just found your thread in March 2013 on automatic pilot "Cetrek".
I need information about it.

Do you speak French or English?

Jacques
m/v Côte de Nuits

OffScotland

Visit site
Hi Dominique,
Following up an old thread and see that you had Eproms of the version 9 software for the 727. I have a dead 737 head and believe that I could replace it with the 727 head so long as it has newish software. The version I have is 4/9 which is too old. Do you still have access to eprom burning, and/or could supply an upgrade?
Thanks,
Ian Whittaker
P.S. Your message box is full and is not accepting new messages

vas

Visit site
Hi Dominique,
Following up an old thread and see that you had Eproms of the version 9 software for the 727. I have a dead 737 head and believe that I could replace it with the 727 head so long as it has newish software. The version I have is 4/9 which is too old. Do you still have access to eprom burning, and/or could supply an upgrade?
Thanks,
Ian Whittaker

Ian,

if you cannot get what you want from Dominique, keep in mind that I've decided to switch to a full garmin system so all the components of my system are currently available. Not very keen to break the system just for the display, but I could possibly consider it, as I say IF Dominique cannot help you.

cheers

V.

DomLeBel

Visit site
Hi Dominique,
Thanks,
Ian Whittaker
Hi Ian,
thanks for the info on the message box, made some room.
Are you running a 618 or a 619 course computer?
i have checked my file on my server and i do have version 3, 4 and 7 of the 727 head and version 7.5, 8. 01,9.0 and 9.2 of the 618 course computer.
I do have my own EPROM burner.
I am a bit busy for the next couple of weeks but I would be glad to help you in september.
I am sure i do not have spare EPROM,s so you would need to send me one that i can burn.
Regards.
Dominique

brianaderer

Visit site
Hi Ian,
thanks for the info on the message box, made some room.
Are you running a 618 or a 619 course computer?
i have checked my file on my server and i do have version 3, 4 and 7 of the 727 head and version 7.5, 8. 01,9.0 and 9.2 of the 618 course computer.
I do have my own EPROM burner.
I am a bit busy for the next couple of weeks but I would be glad to help you in september.
I am sure i do not have spare EPROM,s so you would need to send me one that i can burn.
Regards.
Dominique

Hi Dom,
Hoping you are still active here. I have a Cetrek autopilot system that works GREAT on my boat. I have a powerhelm 770 controller in the pilot house and a cable is run up to the flybridge for it, but there is no controller. what are my options for putting another controller up there? I can't find a powerhelm 770 anywhere..
Thanks
Brian