Cervantes Trophy

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
My other top tip would be to cram in as much food (especially carbs) in the 24 hours before as possible. What with the excitement of getting to the start, & then manoeuvring out of the Solent, it can be well past lunchtime before anyone mentions food - particularly as lots of skippers (& some crew) seem to be able to survive on air. This is particularly trying if you (as I do) suffer from seasickness, which is much worse with an empty stomach.

that sounds like good advice. I haven't ever suffered from seasickness, but I do know that I have a tendency to forget to eat and drink when occupied on boats.

Seajet

Visit site
ABSOLUTE TOP TIP !

Heavy Weather Sailng ' by Adlard Coles,

Have a read of ' the post - 1980 edition, it mentions the hard-won lessons from the 1979 Fastnet disaster; in fact 19 people died, 4 were in a spectator boat.

Another book very worth reading is ' Left For Dead ' by Nick Ward.

After reading that and ' Heavy Weather Sailing ' you might be well advised to take several pairs of spare underpants ! :)

Note; rocks, big waves and fog won't get you - FATIGUE IS THE KILLER !

Hope you have a good sail,

Andy

https://vimeo.com/68011325

Last edited:

Racecruiser

Visit site
Don't listen to all the doom merchants, although there is some good advice in there somewhere. Think the Cervantes starts Sat morning so you'll do most of the race in daylight although no doubt RORC will have a mark or two to lengthen and vary the course. And a First 34.7 is a quick boat even if not one of the biggest.

I'm doing JOG to St Vaast starting Friday evening - much more convivial with a drinks do early Sat evening followed by dinner and an early Sunday departure. Currently the wind angles there and back are looking ok but I don't think the met is certain yet.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
I'm going for the full long johns, sealskinz socks, fleece onesie, 3 hats and four pairs of gloves. Full goretex gear too.

Ordered some hand warmer things off amazon :)

Me too, as I'm going as a general deck rat on a school boat. I'm off to the local HH and Musto outlets this afternoon to see if I can get a fifth pair of gloves.

Cheers

Alan ashore

Visit site
Blimey if everyone on a fully crewed boat has 5 pairs of sodden gloves, that sounds like a whole lot of weight you guys could do without :(

Seriously, perhaps one pair of neoprene and leather sailing gloves and if you are allowed the luxury, a pair of completely waterproof warm mitts (mountaineering shops) for protracted periods of idleness on the rail (or helming) does it for me.

michael_w

Visit site
I bought a Sealskinz hat the other day. Best woolly hat I've ever owned. Warm, windproof and waterproof.

Seajet

Visit site
Moonshining,

have a speed-read of Adlard Coles tales about JOG / Heavy Weather Sailing then smartly divert to the nearest pub ! :)

Maybe not survival conditions but it's supposed to be fun...

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Moonshining,

have a speed-read of Adlard Coles tales about JOG / Heavy Weather Sailing then smartly divert to the nearest pub ! :)

Once did exactly that on a Cervantes. About 20 miles out from the Nab. Black night, horizontal rain, wind on the nose, a reef or two pulled down, crew on the high side.

"Anyone enjoying this?" quoth the owner.

Nobody replied.

"Ok, we're going home, standby to tack and bear away."

Back in our berth in the early hours, hit the bunks. Next day was lovely and sunny, so four of us borrowed the boat and nipped off to Poole for the bank holiday.

Talulah

Visit site
Once did exactly that on a Cervantes. About 20 miles out from the Nab. Black night, horizontal rain, wind on the nose, a reef or two pulled down, crew on the high side.

"Anyone enjoying this?" quoth the owner.

Nobody replied.

"Ok, we're going home, standby to tack and bear away."

Back in our berth in the early hours, hit the bunks. Next day was lovely and sunny, so four of us borrowed the boat and nipped off to Poole for the bank holiday.

Would be my choice too except sometimes you're there just to tick the box. i.e .1 of 3 qualifiers. I have also pulled out on a Bank Holiday race to St Peter Port. Zero wind. No chance of getting there and back in the time frame. Trick is to pull out early enough so you can do something else. The difficulty is often the crew don't have much experience and can't see the glaringly obvioous on how the weekend is going to pan out. Consequently you stick with it for a few hours longer until it dawns on them as well. We still went to St Peter Port for the Bank Holiday but with the donkey all the way.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Moonshining,

Chay Blyth took Heavy Weather Sailing with him on the 1969 Golden Globe. He referred to the trip as 'being in hell, with the instructions'.

Moonshining

picnicsintheharbour.blogspot.com
I'll be heading off in a few hours, with a bag stuffed full of all the thermals I can find (Plus two pairs of sealskinz socks, purchased yesterday!).

I'll be the yellow Michelin man on Polka if bitbaltic and horatio_nelson want to give us a wave as you go past!