Celestial Navigation by David Burch

Humblebee

Visit site
Far and away the best self instruction book on this subject that I have come across. He explains things beautifully, then goes through worked examples of each subject and finishes with practical exercises. Answers are included as an appendix, as are extracts from Nautical Almanacs.
An ideal way of keeping amused during lockdown.
Highly recommended.

Laser310

Visit site
His weather book; Modern Marine Weather is also very good - probably the best weather book for sailors that has been published.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I approach both subjects in a religious manner.

By which I mean that I really have no idea what is going on, but I know that if I comply with certain repetitive rituals precisely, I will learn something to my advantage, be that roughly where we are or vaguely what the weather might do.

This might be down to trying to learn both subjects from Rantzen’s books, which are about seventy years old.

I need to look into these two volumes...

Laser310

Visit site
David Burch maintains a Blog here David Burch Navigation Blog

it is often interesting - look back at some of the previous years. it covers nav, meteo, and other things...

he also has a website Starpath School of Navigation Title Page

i have never done any of the courses he offers, but they might be good for one just starting out with this stuff

i ended up with both the paper version of the meteorology book, and the kindle version. I like real books, but i travel to sail, and don't like to be weighed down with books when i fly. i have the kindle version on my laptop, so can always refer to it (I am a navigator on racing boats). Although the paper version has some color images, there are a few more color images in the kindle version.

Sandy

Visit site
His book was recommended by a YM Ocean ticket holder to me and it is brilliant.

Tip: don't go anywhere his YouTube channel! I found his presentation style that of an absent minded professor who did not prepare for a lecture and has his mind on something else!