Catamarans in the Med?

Laser310

Visit site
I am wondering about a catamaran as a cruising and live-aboard in the Med.

I have many 1000's of ocean miles on board pretty high performance catamarans, and many more than that on mono hulls. One of my atlantic crossings was on a cat.

So i am not really looking for a general cat vs. mono discussion, although I guess it might turn into one. I am pretty familiar with the pro's and con's of cats generally, how they sail, and so on.

I am wondering specifically about their suitability in the Med: are they something of a hassle there?

I think that in the Caribbean, they can be fantastic - at least with one that sails well, and is not a "condomaran".

The difference I see is that in the Caribbean, one naturally spends quite a lot of time away from marinas, anchored or on a mooring.

Part of the reason for cruising the Med is to see historical/cultural sites, and to enjoy the nice towns and so on. My own experience in somewhat limited Med cruising is that we did spend a lot of time in marinas.

Does the necessity/likelihood of using marinas in the Med increase the hassle factor very much? I know cats cost more in marinas, so I am not only thinking about that. It seems one would be more limited in where one could go. Older, smaller marinas might be off limits.., even a marina that takes cats might not have a spot for one on a given day..

on lighter performance cats, the bows can blow around amazingly and they usually don't have thrusters (performance cats at least), but i guess one can learn to deal with handling the boat in a marina...

newtothis

Visit site
The main issue you will find is trying to park it if you want to be attached to land.
Most mooring in the nice parts of the med you want to visit, i.e. the small island villages etc, is done stern to up against a sea wall. That is easily done, but the issue will be finding a slot two boats wide into which you can fit a cat. The chances of doing it at rush hour in a popular spot in high summer are slim to none.
If you're happy anchoring off and taking the dinghy ashore, you'll be fine. But the shallow draft advantages of cats is a bit wasted in the med, as you can be five metres off shore and in 20 metres of water.

Laser310

Visit site
The main issue you will find is trying to park it if you want to be attached to land.
Most mooring in the nice parts of the med you want to visit, i.e. the small island villages etc, is done stern to up against a sea wall. That is easily done, but the issue will be finding a slot two boats wide into which you can fit a cat. The chances of doing it at rush hour in a popular spot in high summer are slim to none.
If you're happy anchoring off and taking the dinghy ashore, you'll be fine. But the shallow draft advantages of cats is a bit wasted in the med, as you can be five metres off shore and in 20 metres of water.

that's pretty much what I was thinking.

I have only cruised several weeks total in the med - all of it on mono's

I've done some cat sailing in the Med - deliveries though, so out of season and sometimes using the giant marinas.., so not really like cruising in season

Tradewinds

Visit site
Cat Greatcircle spent a fair bit of time in the Med. They have a YouTube channel just for the fun of it (they definitely don't need YT income). Might give you some insight.

They do prefer to anchor out though.

They now have an Outremer 55 in build and soon to be launched.

Yngmar

Visit site
Plenty of cats in the Med. The cruising is (for most folks) seasonal, so in winter many find a marina that gives discounts for cats (some even price like a monohull of the same length) and end up agglomerating there. If you like to anchor during summer and are in an area with plenty of good anchorages (Greece, Baleares, etc.) the cost difference doesn't matter. If you want or need to put the boat into marinas at day rates, you will need a large bank account, as summer rates are very high in most places and catamarans are often charged 50% or more extra on top. Large swathes of the Med have few or no anchorages with suitable shelter for the prevailling winds (Costa del Sol was particularly bad - best sail right past, not much of interest there anyways). You can get a bit creative sometimes and tough out some swell at the cost of sleep, but will not always be able to avoid marina visits.

For living aboard the differences are that the huge windows heat up more in summer and lose more heat in winter. Heating costs in general are much higher due to larger volume and typically less insulation. The sailing is a bit different, sometimes better than a mono (light airs, motoring), sometimes worse (upwind, heavy weather). At anchor they're great because of less rolling and living upstairs rather than in the basement. Of course you pay for all that when purchasing one.

Boat handling in marinas is typically easier with twin engines, once you figure out how to use the twin throttles for steering and the wheel only for sideways thrust. Some cats have the rudders in front of the saildrives (e.g. FP Mahe), which then means no propwash over them - that could be a bit trickier then.

High performance cats are not great for most cruisers because of their very limited weight allowance. That's usually why people end up buying huge ones (like above 55 ft Outremer) to get the carrying capacity of a 35ft mono and be able to haul their provisions, tools and spares. Again this can be offset with money - there are usually enough yards and workmen in the Med that will do most of the boat fixing, maintenance and cleaning (for lots of money) so you don't have to carry many tools and supplies. All depends on your preferred style and budget.

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
We entered the Med in 2009 in our 9.2 x 6m cat, and have cruised the Balearics, Sardinia, N Sicily and the last 5 years in the Ionian. Our total spend on mooring is typically less than £100 pa, because we nearly always anchor out or moor in tiny, free harbours. So, it can be done. The £100 does not include when we leave the boat ashore in the winter, or for a week or 3 in the summer.

TonyMS

Trident

Visit site
We had 5 years on our cat in the Med - occasionally we found it tough to get in to marina but pretty much lived at anchor so really didn't find it too difficult

As you will know the other thing about the Med is the famed too much wind or too little - we found the stable platform of a cat for a big spinnaker and no need for a pole meant we could easily and frequently sail in light airs rather than motor - I think we used €20 of diesel in our last season. And in heavy seas of course a cat is more comfortable

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We had 5 years on our cat in the Med - occasionally we found it tough to get in to marina but pretty much lived at anchor so really didn't find it too difficult

As you will know the other thing about the Med is the famed too much wind or too little - we found the stable platform of a cat for a big spinnaker and no need for a pole meant we could easily and frequently sail in light airs rather than motor - I think we used €20 of diesel in our last season. And in heavy seas of course a cat is more comfortable
I thought we did well on fuel €20 in a season ??
How many miles, really interested .

Neeves

Visit site
Boat handling - with two engines you can basically turn the boat round in its own length, it just all needs a bit of practice and confidence. 'Living' in a marina with your transom against the pier and your patio doors open to the promenading public seems like our idea of hell. Surely the Med is about you enjoying the environment not you being part of the entertainment.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
As others have pointed out the Med is a big place and there is a wide variety of ways to enjoy yourself. However there are significant areas where anchoring is very limited by geography and weather so ports and marinas are inevitable for overnight stays. In others Greece in particular as well as parts of Croatia marinas are limited and tying up at a town or village quay is part of the experience. Being effectively non tidal you can literally walk off the cockpit of your boat and straight into a taverna. For some this is heaven, others hell and so far it has been possible to make a choice, although with all the recent happenings that choice may become more limited.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Boat handling - with two engines you can basically turn the boat round in its own length, it just all needs a bit of practice and confidence. 'Living' in a marina with your transom against the pier and your patio doors open to the promenading public seems like our idea of hell. Surely the Med is about you enjoying the environment not you being part of the entertainment.

Jonathan
Simply go bows to. ?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Most cats are high in the water which gives you a degree of privacy, add a summer mesh cockpit tent, plus a solid winter one......sorted.

Ric

Visit site
You hit it on the head in your original post.

Cats are great in the Caribbean - lots of good reaching wind, lots of anchorages, and affordable berthing available when needed.

Substantially less great in the Med. Either not enough wind or too much wind, and always on the bow. Not great for cats. And berthing - well pretty much forget about turning up at a port and asking for a berth in high season, and expensive even in low season.

There are cats in the Med but far fewer proportionally compared to monohulls than you see in the Caribbean - for the above reasons.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Easy for those of us who know we can rely on, what is considered, minimalist ground tackle of good design not excessive weight. Not quite as easy for the mate as she struggles with the oversized anchor, plus chain.

Jonathan
Most of Spain has lazy lines. For places that don't, just put the person of least strength on the helm and tough guy on the lines.

Neeves

Visit site
I must have missed the posts that the weather in the Med is so awful and unpredictable that anchors, unless you have one far too big (that people laugh) or you carry chain 2 sizes too big (and lots of it), that anchoring is simply not something to be considered. Obviously anchoring in Patagonia is a walk in the park compared to the rigours of the Med. Why - if its so awful (inability to anchor, high costs in marinas etc etc - do so many sail there, or want to go there.

I'm awaiting a post that suggests anchoring out is not a better choice. :)

The 'culture' is exactly the same whether you start from a dinghy or the quay side.

It all sounds a bit of a nightmare.

What exactly do I have wrong.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
I must have missed the posts that the weather in the Med is so awful and unpredictable that anchors, unless you have one far too big (that people laugh) or you carry chain 2 sizes too big (and lots of it), that anchoring is simply not something to be considered. Obviously anchoring in Patagonia is a walk in the park compared to the rigours of the Med. Why - if its so awful (inability to anchor, high costs in marinas etc etc - do so many sail there, or want to go there.

I'm awaiting a post that suggests anchoring out is not a better choice. :)

The 'culture' is exactly the same whether you start from a dinghy or the quay side.

It all sounds a bit of a nightmare.

What exactly do I have wrong.

Jonathan
Little to do with weather, but a lot to do with the fact that long stretches of coastline are backed by high cliffs and water is vey deep - often dropping to 30m or more close to shore and nowhere to go ashore. See the video in post #4 to get a feel. There are areas where anchoring is fine - except inevitably, particularly in the west such as the Balearics get crowded and in some places you even need a permit to anchor. Equally in the east many more places to anchor. The big bit in between is more port hopping and marinas or anchoring just outside because the port is full.