Catamaran rig

G

Recently a catamaran called Snow Leopard arrived in Preston marina. The mast was mounted forward of the deck housing, was unstayed and,was aerofioled in shape. The mast step was on a rotating base and, a "boom" protruded fore and aft of the mast in a fixed position on the mast. A forestay was attached to the end of the"boom" and to the mast head and, was for flying the headsail on. Aft of the mast the "boom" supported the mainsail. In all it was a strange looking rig. Has anyone any knowledge of this type of rig?.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I think it might be an Aero rig. It was tried on cats and even monohulls. It never caught on , probably the price was prohibitive compared to a conventional rig. It was/is a very efficient rig and one of the mags , it might even have been YM, perhaps JJ can confirm or otherwise, did a test comparing a conventional rig versus an Aero rig on the same hull. It came out really well but as I said I think it was a bit pricey.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Aerorig

What you have deescribed is undoubtedly an Aerorig which was fitted to a number of catamaran with reasonable success.

But as Bill points out, price and yachtsmen's resistance to new ideas have prevented it becoming common. Carbospars still produce the rig to special order but I don't think any builder offers it, even as an option, at the moment.
YM conducted extensive trials on the Aerorig when it first came out, racing two identical boats against each other in the Solent. Te results were interesting and not as flattering to the rig as some other magazines suggested. We found it was marginally quicker that a bermudan sloop rig without spinnaker or pole down wind. About the same on a reach, but considerably slower up wind. On a trianglular course, the conventional rig was way ahead.
The Aerorig does have other advantages, notably ease of handling and a reduction of heeling forces. It can also be completely depowered very quickly, which is why it is good for catamarans.

JJ