Catamarán racing in Plymouth

Wansworth

Visit site
Came across foiling cats racing in Plymouth ,large crowds inelegant craft dashing about ,crews dressed like gladiators………just speed and money?…..as near to

moto gp. as possible……helmsmen are now drivers,pathetic ?

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
You’re reverting to stone age man. Foiling is the future, like it or not. They don’t race supercharged Bentleys any more either, or at least not seriously. And I have to say, if you want to meet old arrogant t****ers, then classic boat racing is where to be, I crew one regularly. SailGP isn’t pathetic, it’s pushing the technology envelope.

Wansworth

Visit site
You’re reverting to stone age man. Foiling is the future, like it or not. They don’t race supercharged Bentleys any more either, or at least not seriously. And I have to say, if you want to meet old arrogant t****ers, then classic boat racing is where to be, I crew one regularly. SailGP isn’t pathetic, it’s pushing the technology envelope.
There’s no style no sense of power as raft thunder pass,where are the spinakers there is no soul in yourspeeding,as they do speed, cats but that’s about it……probably pathetic was the wrong word?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I can personally assure you that sailing a performance multi, you get more than a sensation of power on board. Visceral is a word I might choose, it’s blood, guts snd thunder. You might see it looks serene, maybe boring. But then, all sailing is much like that as a spectator. I’ve sailed classics too, and as a spectator you’re unaware of the 4 guys sweating the mainsheet in.

Wansworth

Visit site
I can personally assure you that sailing a performance multi, you get more than a sensation of power on board. Visceral is a word I might choose, it’s blood, guts snd thunder. You might see it looks serene, maybe boring. But then, all sailing is much like that as a spectator. I’ve sailed classics too, and as a spectator you’re unaware of the 4 guys sweating the mainsheet in.
Undoubtedly sailing is not really a spectator sport and I can understand it’s as you describe but I think my wife summed it up ”it’s a bit like motor racing”.An she would be right racing over a nice flat water plane ,no tides,no seas, just speed which is not transmitted on the tvas they show mainly the large picture….

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I guess. It’s very different on board, as I say. Bearing off at the windward mark is a sensation on a Dragonfly, the acceleration, and feeling of power is unlike any mono can do. We have a kite too, an asymmetric, which certainly adds to things as you go deeper. On a foiling boat the apparent wind never goes far enough aft for such things. Ours goes up at about 70 deg apparent, depending on wind strength. Their apparent never goes further than 45 ish.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I'm not really a racing man ,and wasn't really interested, but the more I watched the more I became hooked.

Watched all of year two and this year. Never a dull moment and the crowds seem to enjoy it.

RobF

Visit site
I was in Plymouth this weekend and I really enjoyed having the Sail GP on. Brought a massive buzz to Plymouth, and made sailing interesting to lots of people who otherwise would find it very dull. There were plenty of places to watch it for free (can't say that for, for example, Formula 1) and the crowd I was with seemed to really enjoy it.

I was sailing into Plymouth Sound as Saturday's race was ending and a couple of the boats did some laps of the Sound after the races had finished. I thought they were very impressive.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Apologies Wansworth - I'm with the others - as spectator viewing it is utterly breathtakingly exciting.. the high speed crosses and passes show the highest level of skill.. brilliant stuff..