Carry a sharp knife and wire cutters

ianainge

Visit site
Then if you see one poorly marked that is blatently ridiculous cut of the marker, the line sinks, and the idiot that put it there loses his equipment and catch. and whats with BLACK marker flags, at night or on a gloomy day with rough seas you have no chance, it as if they want you to foul your props,whats wrong with luminous green flags or something similar with a reflective finish so that a least at night a searchlight could pick them up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Killing fields.

Tend to agree Ian, but what you don't see is that any crab or lobster caught in the pot is then destined for a slow death which in turn then attracts other lobsters and crabs, in effect a self baiting death trap. If you're going to do as you say, it's better to raise the pot and cut a hole in the sides so this can't happen.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ashsonora

Visit site
One evening last year we picked up a Crab/lobster pot marker with a black flag in Poole Bay, had a job removing the eight foot long bamboo pole with the black flag on top, had to cut ourselves free and limp home on one engine as the line had fouled the starboard prop, If the flag had been reflective or luminous I would have stood a better chance of seeing it, I am sure the fishermen don't like losing there pots any more than we like a rope to foul our props.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mtb

Visit site
Re: Killing fields.

Year right have you lifted one off the bottom !!! Some are very very heavy

I have had nightmares re the silly sticks and the pricks who chuck em there .
Any night run has enough problems to cope with with out the dangerouse methods deployed . Is there not some thing under the colision regs re causing a danger to other craft.
Solar powerd stick lights would help at least once fitted the cost's would be minimal.

Cheers
Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>One day son all this will be yours #### off I dont want it
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats

alpha

Visit site

If the fishermen gave a flying f*** (that's 'fish') about losing their gear, they would mark it correctly.

However, because they run around in fully-skegged single-propped displacement boats, I suspect they take some pathetic delight in risking the props, P-brackets, shaft logs, boats, and lives, of those of us in leisure craft.

When they are on their uppers, of course, they'll come running to the tax-payer for help, and guess who's the tax-payer...?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Highlander2

www.ormistonhighlands.com

I think the correct term for creels that are left on the bottom to fish by themselves as noted above as self baiting is know as "ghost gear" because it continues to catch but is never lifted for anybodies benefit.
Maybe it is high time that pleasure boat manufacturers and pleasure boaters did something to make their boats less liable to getting tied up in gear also.
As noted elsewhere the smaller fisherman cannot afford to spend thousands on fancy buoys that are all singing and dancing with radar reflectors and lights and they would just get destroyed in storms anyway.