Carlsberg TV advert and seagrass

Sea-Fever

Visit site
If the false claims where being made on an Attenborough documentary i would 100% agree with you, but seen as we are talking about a Advertisement for beer i think you are all WAY over reacting and need to look at the bigger picture before crying over spilt milk.

Look at the Advertisement i linked above for example, Automotive Advertisements, kids sweets Ads, Toy Ads, Even down to the lean green electric machines they call "Environmental friendly cars" Yes they produce 0 emissions but a power plant has been chucking tons and tons of crap into the air to produce the parts for that vehicle so its not as "Green" as one might claim...

See how its totally contradictory and hypocritical and in EVERY SINGLE AD there are always discrepancies and very few ad companies will say that they are 100% factual.

Like i stated above, It's the intelligence of the viewers and if the viewers are that gullible, Then i worry for them, And going as far as "sueing" a company over a few wrongful words on an Advertisement....Well a tad pathetic and sad! Look at an Advertisement as an Advertisement and not as a factual part of TV. Take all ads with a pinch of salt. Its not hard
Deleted......pointless continuation.

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
The substantive point here is that seagrass will have to be grown on an industrial scale to have any effect whatsoever on climate,

That's certainly what George Eustace (Secretary of State, DEFRA) seemed to be suggesting - rewilding huge areas, beyond the 1930s baseline that gets mentioned - at the Rewilding the Seas conference. He also mentioned society sections "that have grown used to a lack of regulation"

We will have to see what is agreed at COP26 but the mood music seems to be that DEFRA will rewild large areas, and that sailors will need to learn to live with it.

savageseadog

Visit site
Deleted......pointless continuation.
Funnily enough, to quote MystyBlue2 "If the false claims where being made on an Attenborough documentary i would 100% agree with you" I think Attenborough documentaries have become propaganda and is part of the problem.

Last edited:

Concerto

Visit site
As the OP I see the continued drip feeding of "conservation" messages in news reports, radio and television programs and now in commercial adverts for beer. If we just ignore this drip feed of "conservation" messages, the general public will accept it is correct.

Take seahorses in Studland as a starting point. They are cute little creatures that "used" to be found there but they are no longer there due to boats anchoring. This has been widely publicised. Yet fishermen nearby are still finding plenty of seahorses up to 12" long in their nets. This fact is ignored, but the headline of seahorses disappearing from Studland is remembered.

The lack of sea horses in Studland must be due to too many boats anchoring and disturbing their habitat. Something must be done as we "think" 90% of the seagrass beds around the UK coast have been lost. Let us stop boats anchoring in Studland and other places and create new areas of seagrass by planting. The conservationists can show they are doing something to solve the problem and getting a beer company to help pay is a bonus (probably with a few free beers thrown in - pun intended).

So far none of the marine science that is used by Natural England and MMO has been proved as correct and any non scientificly published information like ariel photographs is ignored. We have a group of conservationists with limited funding making wild claims about seagrass and there is no one directly involved in breaking down their claims because it is not fashionable to appear to be anti conservation. It is a vicious circle that we as boating people stand out like a sore thumb. We might have maintaining our seas and coastline within our reach and ethos, but outside influencers are hitting the headlines with so much unscientifically proved comments. We need to be aware that change will be forced upon us unless we can prove many of the conservationists claims are shown to be false. I just remember the hockey stick claim about global warming that seems to have been finally refuted, but we are trying globally to restrict our emissions of CO2 at vast cost, yet many other developing countries are doing nothing. We have been told the Amazon rain forest is part of the lungs of the earth, yet it's wholesale destruction continues.

So it might only be a beer advert to some, but it is the point of a very thick wedge that is continually being driven into the public's mind about conservation. The money for further conservation projects will continue to flow as people or companies are influenced that "something must be done" to a problem that might not actually exist.

dom

Visit site
.......So it might only be a beer advert to some, but it is the point of a very thick wedge that is continually being driven into the public's mind about conservation. The money for further conservation projects will continue to flow as people or companies are influenced that "something must be done" to a problem that might not actually exist.

Before we get too worked-up, remember that Carlsberg’s sole interest in this is the photoshopped ‘Carlsberg Green‘ seagrass and the cute photoshopped seal !