Caribbean boat Insurance

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Does anyone know if comprehensive Caribbean based boat insurance is possible?
I have tried Pantaneous and Admiral...
It would appear to not be possible these days but ...?
I am still struggling with this - the only quote I have had for insuring my 2005 Beneteau 323 was from Admiral who wanted 650 for THIRD PARTY insurance. I am getting the feeling that it is impossible to get an insurance in the Caribbean but would love to be proved wrong!

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I am amazed that you did not get any positive responses from the insurance companies here in Barbados - they happily insure boats here, hence I am baffled as to why they do not want to insure your Beneteau.
Yes. I get the feeling that because I used Admiral/Pantanieus it caused the Lloyds syndicate to block applications from other brokers.. Pants came up with an offer of 600 for third party only which is more than I am paying now for single handed sailing here in the English Channel - Brest to Elba.

What is not easy to find out is where exactly the problem lays.. Cruising area, Value of boat, my age, I am British but resident in France,, French address and I use a British address on advice of my present UK brokers although the boat is French based, mwhere I intend keeping her - all other items like experience, years sailing etc have to be OK...

It 'appears' that the Caribbean Islands are considered a bigger risk than the Bahamas...

Bajansailor

Visit site
I know that with fishing boats here, if they are insured for more than US$100,000 then the local Insurers seek re-insurance on the London market - but your Beneteau would be worth much less than this surely?

Have you tried emailing the local Insurers here directly? I would have thought that they would love to have your business.

Zing

Visit site
I know that with fishing boats here, if they are insured for more than US$100,000 then the local Insurers seek re-insurance on the London market - but your Beneteau would be worth much less than this surely?

Have you tried emailing the local Insurers here directly? I would have thought that they would love to have your business.
I tried. Got no answers.

Zing

Visit site
This is very strange - would you and Zing like me to forward on any info to Insurers here?
I have a pretty good rapport with them.
And I am surprised to see that they wouldn't reply to you.
Thanks. I‘ve tried with insurers before outside my home patch and they generally aren’t interested and as I will be out of the area soon, I will have different issues.

Other threads that may be of interest