Cardiff to Uphill

Brentwales

Visit site
Cardiff and Uphill in Weston Super mare have roughly the same tide times.

If I left Cardiff at HW-2 and it took 4 hours to cross that would mean getting into Uphill in Weston at HW+2. Depending on tide height, this might be a bit tight with a draft of 1.75m and I'd be fighting the ebb on the Axe.

Anyone done this passage and can offer some guidance?

jwilson

Visit site
Unless the Axe has changed a lot since I sailed out of there many years ago 1.75 metres draught 2 hours after HW could be 'interesting'. There would at least in my day have been water to get in but finding a safe mooring could be the problem. Some of the mud was jelly-soft enough for a fin keel to sink deep in but some bits weren't. You would definitely not want to have a fin keeler settle dried "downhill" on the river side, or on the very centre where there were occasional assorted rough wooden/rocky bits.

Brentwales

Visit site
Yeah, ideally I want to get in before HW or Slack water. Some online pilotage guides suggest the Axe is accessible 2.5 hours either side of HW, but the Bristol Channel and Severn Cruising guide says ideally approach at HW-1.5

donm

Visit site
Cardiff and Uphill in Weston Super mare have roughly the same tide times.

If I left Cardiff at HW-2 and it took 4 hours to cross that would mean getting into Uphill in Weston at HW+2. Depending on tide height, this might be a bit tight with a draft of 1.75m and I'd be fighting the ebb on the Axe.

Anyone done this passage and can offer some guidance?

Cardiff to River Axe around 12 miles so why 4 hours?

Brentwales

Visit site
Just wondering how long on that passage I could stay out in the channel for before coming onto the Axe as pilotage I've read mentions HW-1.5 in the cruising guide and HW2.5+ on the club site.

Birdseye

Visit site
Unless the Axe has changed a lot since I sailed out of there many years ago 1.75 metres draught 2 hours after HW could be 'interesting'. There would at least in my day have been water to get in but finding a safe mooring could be the problem. Some of the mud was jelly-soft enough for a fin keel to sink deep in but some bits weren't. You would definitely not want to have a fin keeler settle dried "downhill" on the river side, or on the very centre where there were occasional assorted rough wooden/rocky bits.
My memory is much the same.