Cardiff to Porthcawl

BenMurphy

Visit site
What's the best strategy for visiting Porthcawl from Cardiff? I see that the Porthcawl gates are open 3 hours either side of high water, but it's about a 4 hour sail down from Cardiff at an average of 5 knots.

So there's two approaches as far as I can see...

1. Punch the tide something like HW-2 from Cardiff. Maybe doable on a Neap but it would be slow going at the start I guess.
2. Leave Cardiff HW+2 and sit it out at anchor for 3 hours. Seems like a bit of a ball ache though. Where would you anchor for Porthcawl?

Would love to hear from anyone who has done this or does this regularly...

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
You go via Swansea. That’s a bit tongue in cheek but it’s basically the case because as you have identified the Porthcawl access times don’t suit visitors arriving from Cardiff and there is no (good) shelter in which to hang around when waiting for them over low water. So you go Cardiff > Swansea on the ebb, Swansea > Porthcawl on the flood, Porthcawl > Swansea on the ebb, and Swansea > Cardiff on the flood.

nobody basically does it for these reasons (someone will now pop up who does it)

donm

Visit site
You go via Swansea. That’s a bit tongue in cheek but it’s basically the case because as you have identified the Porthcawl access times don’t suit visitors arriving from Cardiff and there is no (good) shelter in which to hang around when waiting for them over low water. So you go Cardiff > Swansea on the ebb, Swansea > Porthcawl on the flood, Porthcawl > Swansea on the ebb, and Swansea > Cardiff on the flood.

nobody basically does it for these reasons (someone will now pop up who does it)

Agree. You could punch the flood to the Power Station and take your chances if it was easterly and all your ducks were in a row?
The Porlock boys do it fairly easily cross tide leaving about an hour before HW and arriving an hour or so after HW.
But I always have a problem leaving Porlock - I suffer from Weiritus.

steveej

Visit site
You just need a bit of north in the wind or very light winds......don't go when its heavy!

Have done the trip many times inside and outside the nash passage, day and night on my old 22ft Hurley and also my new to me Jeanneau 32ft both based in Cardiff. Regardless of boat my preference is to leave HW+2 Cardiff, 4 hour passage to Porthcawl then anchor for 3 hours or so. Makes for a 7 hour passage in total with only 4 hours sailing. so should be a cake walk if you know what you are doing and have a well found boat with decent anchoring gear.

If windy anchor behind tusker rock and you'll see it when you get there as it is likely to be uncovered at LW. If conditions Ok, then anchor off the pier head or somewhere closer plenty of shallowish water around there, just watch out for fairy rock..

Have also done it like this in mid December with a weather window to have the boat there for xmas and new year and last did it 4 weeks ago for summer holidays so the kids could go to the beaches and use it as a floating holiday home for a few weeks before a crew change and a cruise on the bristol channel.

The main issue with it is Lavernock point and you have to minimise this locking you down as a tidal gate either on the trip down or on the way back.

Best way to get back from Porthcawl is to leave HW+3 and go inside the nash passage and punch the tide at this end then get as far as the power station on the ebb whilst you then get favourable tide to whip you around Lavernock (approx 7 hours so again short passage time), last time i did this was mid January in a weather window.

Have personally done the trip at least 7 times.

Or you could go via Swansea and take two days over it, not to undermine other comments but I would not do this and not sure why people make such a big deal out of it as it is not an efficient or necessary way to make the trip.

If you need any more detail then PM me and I can give you lat long for where I anchor.

Last edited: