Cardiff Bay this weekend (23rd/24th)

Mike_S

Visit site
Lots going on this weekend, it's CBYC's 75th anniversary regatta (details on the webpage at http://www.cbyc.co.uk ) as well as the outdoor action show at Mermaid Quay. I noticed last night at the club that some of the pontoons at MQ will be out of action because of the outdoor demos / try a canoe type stuff that's meant to be going on but if the weather holds off for a nanosecond it could be a good weekend.

Tide times are useful as well for those coming across the channel.

All things being equal we may motor on over at some point on Saturday, if only so that swmbo can listen to the VHF in preparation for her VHF licence course on Sunday /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike

sb99

Visit site
We'll have a look over there "wind permitting"

What proportion of the pontoons have been lost? I still need pleanty of options on my approach /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Why is wind a big issue if your tucked up in the bay????
Edit.... sorry just looked at your profile and your new to the game.
Go in to a free berth so you get blown onto pontoon but remember to leave space to get back out (windage). The pontoons near the shore are now for the work boats so use barrage side pontoons. Also pay and display, the number for the gate us on the ticket.

sb99

Visit site
Enjoyed the afternoon and good to meet you csail. I'll take your advice on CBYC membership. Kids enjoyed the canoes' more than our boat.....Typical /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That wind certainly picked up later in the afternoon.

Mike_S

Visit site
Missed you by a few minutes, we were the green/white Regal moored up next to you. I had an urgent appointment with a pork pie and some welshcakes on board, by the time I'd finished you were off down the pontoon and we had to get back to CBYC shortly after that.

Spoke to csail though briefly, always kind of amusing when someone walks up and asks if you're off the forum /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The wind certainly got up as we crossed the Bay, the dinghy's weren't hanging around as they went across us, took some serious manoevreing to get past them safely. Ridiculous weather yesterday, we'd only gone down to the boat to see how much rainwater she'd ingested, then the sun came out and it seemed daft not to take the boat over rather than the car. Certainly gave swmbo some practice at mooring up at MQ I can tell you, the wind tried its best to keep her out of the pontoons, it was only thanks to another boater (25ft Fletcher, thanks whoever you are) that we got in without biffing something /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

LizzyD

Visit site
Blimey,

It looks as though you were all there yesterday. We were there to but sadly, we'd gone on foot. Instead of sailing to Watchet, which was our original plan, we decided to say home because of the weather and ended up in the UCI watching "Shrek the Third" with Bev's niece Jess. Then we went to the Spice Merchant for tea. Curry always cheers me up! And then the bill came. £55 quid!!! For two adults and an 11 year old!! We did'nt drink and for two cokes each it was over £12.00. May have to review my positive comments abouth the place. The food is exceptionally nice, but then again, maybe I'm just being a tightwad.

For the next two weekends, I'm on call. So get yourselves ready for a heatwave. Once I'm on my summer leave after that, it'll piddle down again no doubt. I don't care though. Bev, Kaiser and I will brave the weather whatever it is. Final destination still undecided as yet. It's a tie between Padstow, Ireland or Clovelly. Or Going Places if the weather's really bad.

Take care all,

Lizzy D

sb99

Visit site
Saw the Regal but didn’t realise it was yours or I would have made an effort to say hello.
You did well to reverse in that berth with that cross wind.
I was going back over the bay today but the forecast didn’t look to clever so we decided to give it a miss. Looked like it turned out ok after all. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
We ended up going to Symonds Yat . Cant seem to stay away from water these days. Weather was good and we ended up on the mini funfair. Didn’t go on the river boat trip.
Ice cream is very expensive in England £1.40 for a 99 compared with £1 in the bay yesterday.
All in all a good weekend, cant wait for Friday and the heatwave Mike (Lizzyd) has predicted
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif