Car body shop for spraying?

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm about to embark on building a nesting tender. I've got a while to think about the options for finishing it, but it crossed my mind that it would be a reasonable sort of size to simply take along to my nearest car body shop and get it sprayed.
Any thoughts on this- is car paint appropriate?

Romeo

Visit site
I expect you will end up doing it yourself using marine paints and a brush. If you are going to the bother of building it yourself, you will not want to miss out on the most satisfying bit of transforming your project into a boat.

DownWest

Visit site
Use polyeurethane and roll and tip. Nearly as good as spray and adequate for a tender. For fancy, something like Perfection 709. Very hard and you can roll & tip too. Spray needs fancy breathing kit as it is an isocyanate, but brushing is OK.

Kelpie

Visit site
You're probably right! In fact I have a few tins of Prekote and Toplac left over from when I repainted the yacht, so that's the obvious solution.
I do wonder about going with 2-pack though, more resilient? These choices become a bit easier on the wallet when it's just a dinghy.

Kelpie

Visit site
Can I ask the OP what boat he's building? I can't having a go at it sometime.
Allan

A Spindrift, probably the 11ft version although the 10ft would be easier to fit on deck. Nesting design that takes a sailing rig. I've read of people using a 6hp outboard on it as well, so it sounds very versatile.
The Youtubers 'Sail With the Flo' use a 9ft version, which is where we heard of the design.

Dinghies and Tenders - Spindrift Dinghy - B&B Yacht Designs

DownWest

Visit site
On my 15ft Oughtred glued clinker design, I gave her three coats of Resoltech Re 1010, which is a water based epoxy. First coat is one part resin one hardener and one water. Second coat 1:1 & half the water. Third is just resin a hardener. Goes on easily and slightly milky, which clears quickly as it goes off. Result is smooth, hard varnish like finish. As I was due at a sailing festival, I did not go any further and it stayed like that for several years. But if kept on the fordeck, UV protection is needed. It is a very good basis for painting though.
Here is the designer in one (with a reef in..)Little (Whilly) Tern Building Plans