Captive pin shackles vs snap shackles

Daydream believer

Visit site
I my experience captive-pin shackles can be opened without mechanical assistance if the correct technique is used.
I would challenge you to open mine. It is made harder when one has a halyard one with the bar in it as one cannot bend the legs in . The only shackle I have with captive pin is on the spinnaker halyard. It is a heavy duty one.
My filler caps can be opened by flicking up the centre & using ones hands.

johnalison

Visit site
My main halyard is only ever attached or removed when in harbour so it’s not something I get worked up about. The only risk is the halyard swingng round the spreaders and needing removal but I tie it down and tension it if this is likely. My shackle came with the boat and looks like a normal screw-pin shackle except that the pin is captive. It’s not what I would have chosen but the shackle itself is captive and it works well enough.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
The issue, as far as I can see is not being able to reach the main halyard shackle from deck level.
Other solution's could be to leave the shackle in place, hook the halyard and tie it out to a shroud.
Or take the top sail toggle out of the track and not use it.
Having to use steps at the mast and tie yourself on seems to be a hell of a faff and fraught with danger.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Theoretically, for most of us, one should be able to transfer the main halyard from the head of the mainsail to the head of the trysail, if one is carried.

I’ve got a fine trysail, which has its own track down to deck level - so far, so good - but the weak point is transferring the halyard at sea with an F8 (otherwise, why bother?) trying to pull the halyard out of reach and out of your hands.

I think one answer may be to have a downhaul on the shackle and belayed to the luff of the sail (bowlined round a track slug?) a few feet down.

This would also make the everyday transfer of the halyard easier.

A bit of small Dyneema would do.

Anyone got any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 36384

Theoretically, for most of us, one should be able to transfer the main halyard from the head of the mainsail to the head of the trysail, if one is carried.

I’ve got a fine trysail, which has its own track down to deck level - so far, so good - but the weak point is transferring the halyard at sea with an F8 (otherwise, why bother?) trying to pull the halyard out of reach and out of your hands.

I think one answer may be to have a downhaul on the shackle and belayed to the luff of the sail (bowlined round a track slug?) a few feet down.

This would also make the everyday transfer of the halyard easier.

A bit of small Dyneema would do.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Lay the boom in a crutch and use the topping lift. Secure the main halyard so the windage will not try and raise the sail.

dunedin

Visit site
Apologies, apologies.
I should have said, I have mast steps, but still find I need one hand for holding on.
I simply put one arm each side of the mast when undoing the halyard shackle, or doing the sail over up.
Per earlier posts, we have 4 fold out mast step, with the top two at the same height to balance on easily.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I would challenge you to open mine. It is made harder when one has a halyard one with the bar in it as one cannot bend the legs in . The only shackle I have with captive pin is on the spinnaker halyard. It is a heavy duty one.
My filler caps can be opened by flicking up the centre & using ones hands.
I would have thought that the correct choice for a spinnaker was a snap shackle.

Kukri

Visit site
Lay the boom in a crutch and use the topping lift. Secure the main halyard so the windage will not try and raise the sail.

I don’t like taking the topping lift off! It comes from 45 years of having two of them - ie gaff rig!

I do have to use the dreaded two steps on the mast.

Am off to the boat to experiment!

Kukri

Visit site
I simply put one arm each side of the mast when undoing the halyard shackle, or doing the sail over up.
Per earlier posts, we have 4 fold out mast step, with the top two at the same height to balance on easily.

Nice!

I have two at the same height but to get to them one must step on the halyard winches, which isn’t ideal.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I’m wondering why I have a captive pin shackle on the main halyard and snap shackles on the spinnaker and genoa halyards…

We usually take the main halyard to the boom end to back up the topping lift.
There are sometimes compelling reasons to be able to detach the spinnaker halyard quickly, and IMHO and in the opinions of many on here, shackles have no place on headsail sheets, due to the injuries they can inflict when the sail is flogging.

Kukri

Visit site
There are sometimes compelling reasons to be able to detach the spinnaker halyard quickly, and IMHO and in the opinions of many on here, shackles have no place on headsail sheets, due to the injuries they can inflict when the sail is flogging.

I would not dream of having a shackle on a headsail or trysail sheet!

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I would have thought that the correct choice for a spinnaker was a snap shackle.
No snap shackles on ropes that go up the mast. After 62 years of sailing anything from dinghies to big boats I have seen too many come undone because they were not snapped shut in a hurry, or the lanyard hooked & pulled them open.
But when you need to let the spinnaker foot fly at the drop !!!! Yes.

Daydream believer

Visit site
The only risk is the halyard swingng round the spreaders and needing removal but I tie it down and tension it if this is likely.
But surely it is so simple just to flick it back. Or do you mean that it goes between 2 spreaders & hooks to something in front of the mast, Such as the steaming light, or radar etc? If you do I can post a very simple solution

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
But surely it is so simple just to flick it back. Or do you mean that it goes between 2 spreaders & hooks to something in front of the mast, Such as the steaming light, or radar etc? If you do I can post a very simple solution
I had exactly this a few years ago with not enough line to get a good flick going. Persistence and very foul language won in the end. What's the trick?