Captive pin shackles vs snap shackles

dovekie

Visit site
Apologies if this has been discussed at length elsewhere -( I found this thread, Topping lift)

What are peoples views on the merits of captive pin shackles vs snap shackles for securing the main halyard to the sail?

We use a captive pin shackle, but it is increasingly awkward . With the sail down, it close to the limit of my reach upwards, and the releasable pin is stiff - or my fingers are! I am concerned that a snap shackle may be less secure, but have not had one fail myself. We remove the halyard when at anchor and take it aft, to stop mast-slap.

Thanks in anticipation for any advice / experience.

Captive pin.jpgSnap swivel.jpg

Stemar

Visit site
As long as the snap shackle is sized appropriately, I can't see a problem. I used them on Jissel for both topping lift and main sheet. The advantage for stiff or cold fingers is that one can plait a bit of string onto the ring and that makes it far easier to grasp. A squirt of ACF 50 or the like from time to time will ensure ease of movement; I have seen snap shackles where the pin was very reluctant to move

D

Deleted member 36384

I have the captive pin shackle and also experience the same as you, height and stiff to turn. I now always take a shackle key with me when handing the main sail. Regarding preference, I just think the captive pin shackle is simpler and more reliable. I do have some older snap shackles and they too are difficult to pull the pin out.

cherod

Visit site
I have the captive pin shackle and also experience the same as you, height and stiff to turn. I now always take a shackle key with me when handing the main sail. Regarding preference, I just think the captive pin shackle is simpler and more reliable. I do have some older snap shackles and they too are difficult to pull the pin out.
Some of my snapshackles were a bit stiff as well , then i cleaned and oiled them , now they are like new

James_Calvert

Visit site
I have had both. Definitely prefer snap shackles but you have ensure the pin has nestled properly into position, or it will shake loose. Easily done by feel. I don't wear gloves!

dunedin

Visit site
We have the captive pin shackle - and on a 38 foot boat with dyneema halyards, would never fit a snap shackle for the main halyard. The forces are huge when winched tight.
The head of our sail is well above reach height, but we have fold out mast steps at bottom of mast to help removing halyard and putting on front section of sailcover.
If grip of the shackle is an issue, how about making a custom shackle turner out of a small bit of wood or plastic?

(Analogy - My grip is insufficient to open the top of the Vetus water strainer, so made a custom plywood “spanner” for this)

Ink

Visit site
We use a captive pin shackle. I don't usually remove the halyard from the sail unless leaving the boat on its mooring. Normally just ease the halyard so there is enough to tuck under a sail tie and keep the halyard away from the mast.

In the past on an earlier boat I squeezed the legs of a tight captive shackle together with a pair of pliers to ease the turning of the pin.

Ink

ithet

Visit site
I have similar problems stretching to remove the captive pin main halyard. So I don't. I take the halyard from the headboard around down around a small cleat low down on mast then bungy against the shrouds. When pulled tight this holds the sail down and halyard away from mast. The cleat is low enough to clear the boot cover when attached.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I double the halyard, pass it through the eye of the clew. Then take the free end through the loop. I have a plastic ball on the very end of the halyard so it cannot possibly slip back.
This set up gives me maximum hoist on the sail.
As for mast halyard slap a short line permanently fitted to the shroud is used to pull it away from the mast. Saves the risk of loosing the end of the halyard

Daydream believer

Visit site
The advantage for stiff or cold fingers is that one can plait a bit of string onto the ring and that makes it far easier to grasp.
I used to do that & had a figure of eight in the end of the string to aid grip; until one day the piece of string on the snap shackle to the spinnaker just snagged on something in the rigging during hoist. Ended up with spinnaker in the drink & halyard up the mast.
Chance in a million - but once bitten ;)

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I used to do that & had a figure of eight in the end of the string to aid grip; until one day the piece of string on the snap shackle to the spinnaker just snagged on something in the rigging during hoist. Ended up with spinnaker in the drink & halyard up the mast.
Chance in a million - but once bitten ;)

Took me several times to learn! No knots on lanyards.

Boathook

Visit site
Personally I feel that the captive pin shackle is more secure than a snap shackle. I am struggling with the one on my main that is constantly removed to stop the haliard banging the mast, etc. I do like the idea of a 'key' (wood or plastic) mentioned earlier and will possibly make one for myself this winter.

dunedin

Visit site
Leaving the halyard permanently on may be fine on some boats, but we prefer to attach the halyard to the boom end to support the boom (we have rod kicker, and happy to avoid the hassle of a topping lift).
Perhaps need to be careful of the angle if leave on and tie to the side - the previous owner of our boat did that, and in three years the halyard chafed at the masthead due to the angle being wrong - very annoying and extremely expensive when had to dump nearly 50m of 3 year old dyneema halyard due to damage in the middle.

Ink

Visit site
Personally I feel that the captive pin shackle is more secure than a snap shackle. I am struggling with the one on my main that is constantly removed to stop the haliard banging the mast, etc. I do like the idea of a 'key' (wood or plastic) mentioned earlier and will possibly make one for myself this winter.

Are we talking about a "shackle key" here? Still have my YM key ring which has a shackle key, screwdriver and bottle opener freebie somewhere.

Ink

Boathook

Visit site
Are we talking about a "shackle key" here? Still have my YM key ring which has a shackle key, screwdriver and bottle opener freebie somewhere.

Ink
I'm thinking of something smaller than a shackle key and if wood or plastic I could leave it attached to the mast on a light line and one by the helm ....

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
On both our previous aft cockpit boats we would pull enough halyard down and use a short piece of 6mm shockcord with a Quick Clip to fasten it to a lazyjack fixing on the stackpack. Tighten gently, jobs a good 'un.

No chance of slap on the mast and took but a moment to release.

Do exactly the same with Ella, our Kiwi boat.

Some of the locals in Wellington have started to do the same-one told me he could not believe that he had not thought of it!

If you need the halyard to act as a topping lift when moored, remove and fix to boom end.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
A boat I once chartered had two mast steps below the boom to allow easier access to the stackpack for tidying up and zipping up. Perhaps this could be your solution to getting a better grip on the shackle.
My choice of shackle would be the captive pin type. I've never seen one open accidentally.