Canvas fender for Duckling dinghy

Jan Harber

Visit site
We are currently doing up a Fairey Duckling 9ft rowing/sailing tender and have reached the stage where we will be needing a gunwale fender of some sort.
My dad finished a Fairey Duckling hull in the 1950s and in the one photo we have of it, you can see that it had a canvas-covered gunwale fender. This is what we would like to have on ours, as the coir-type rope fender scuffs topsides when the dinghy is alongside.
Any suggestions as to who could make us such a fender would be gratefully received. Ideally someone on the East Coast.

Jan Harber

Visit site
What a good idea. Thank you. Don't know why we didn't think of it ourselves as Des is only down the road in Ipswich. Have just emailed him to see if he can help.
And in the fullness of time hope to be able to post a photo of aforementioned restored Duckling, with fender.

robertg1

Visit site
I seem to remember making gunwale fender for a dingy out of second hand fire hose (which had a canvas outer sheath) stuffed with old carpet. Mind - I do not know if fire hose is still made of the same material or where to buy it from.