Can you single Hand a Cranchi T36?

kodiak55

Visit site
Hello!

it has been a long time since i was on a boat so i would be interested to get feedback if it is possible to single hand a Cranchi T36 safley in the mediterean sea, especially for docking and leaving the marina. I have a hard time imagining it being easy due to the missing side door.
I am also interested to get feedback how that changes if you install a Yachtcontroller.

Thanks alot for any Feedback <3

jrudge

Visit site
Yes it can be single handed - as can boats much larger. I have a 58 and single hand it from time to time.

It needs the helm to be reasonably confident, to not go out if very windy in relation to the berth you are trying to get into and to prepare fenders, lines etc prior to arrival.

Med mooring is really easy if there is a boat either side. It is really hard if there are no boats either side and there is a cross wind across the berth. All Med Marinas have marineros who will meet you are the berth to take lines etc which makes life simpler.

Just prepare and accept that if the weather is against you it is not worth the stress of being short handed, especially if there are not boats either side.

Andy Bav

Visit site
When we were based in the UK, we usually berthed with minimal help from the marina, but when we arrived in Spain, we were told that the marineros expect to be called, so we do so most times we return to our berth.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Is it usual to tip the marineros?
We're also encouraged to let the marineros know when we're arriving. I just makes sense to have someone take your lines (even when not single handed) and it's a good to have them there in case something goes wrong (ours will jump on a neighbouring boat and fend off if required). I get the sense that they'd rather do that than have someone damage another boat. There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I don't believe they're tipped as a matter of course.

PlanB

Visit site
Re your comment about the side door, most Med mooring for motorboats is stern to, so you get off the back (stern).

jrudge

Visit site
I usually give them a can of cold soft drink which usually goes down well. That assumes they hang around long enough - most of the time they do bow line, pick your lines and then they are gone.

If they have been really helpful ( usually when something has gone wrong - bow line in prop ) I will bung them some euro but not as a matter of course.

Some people are naturally tippers and will give them E20 a time. This is rare

jrudge

Visit site
Re your comment about the side door, most Med mooring for motorboats is stern to, so you get off the back (stern).
There is the bow line, but given you run that down the side of the boat the side door does not come into that either.

the side door is good for ventilation at anchor but I cant remember the last time we used it to help with mooring

Andy Bav

Visit site
As said above, once a line is secured they tend to disappear.

The only time I’ve “tipped” is when we go down the coast to the next marina for lunch. We radio the local marinero, and he appears pointing to the Fishermans quay where he takes our lines but doesn’t charge us. We were told it’s usual to hand him 5 - 10 euros - which I consider a lieu payment for a short stop than a tip....

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Hello!

it has been a long time since i was on a boat so i would be interested to get feedback if it is possible to single hand a Cranchi T36 safley in the mediterean sea, especially for docking and leaving the marina. I have a hard time imagining it being easy due to the missing side door.
I am also interested to get feedback how that changes if you install a Yachtcontroller.

Thanks alot for any Feedback <3

The Swift Trawler 35 does have the helm sidedoor and seems to have been built with a single skipper in mind. The interior is not as nice as the Cranchi but the Bénéteau is about half the price