Can we work from our boat?

CapPugwash

Visit site
Previously I have just been using a bog standard domestic 4G router and a cheaper, smaller antenna. If your boat electronics locker is getting wet enough to break stuff like that industrial router you have bigger issues than internet access.

Oh, wrong links. This antenna: Poynting High Performance 6.2dB 2x2 MIMO Omni LTE/4G/WiFi Antenna (PO-OMNI-600) , will be mounted on my radar mast. And this router Teltonika RUT950 4G LTE WLAN Router

I second this. I have a similar setup and use it extensivly at anchor for my work. I am a network engineer that designs networks remotely. The key is to mount your ariel high up and clear of any close metal (as best you can of course)

I use an app called Mastdata that shows you the locations of the masts. It helps you to work out where you are likely to get a good signal.

ryanroberts

Visit site
I second this. I have a similar setup and use it extensivly at anchor for my work. I am a network engineer that designs networks remotely. The key is to mount your ariel high up and clear of any close metal (as best you can of course)

I use an app called Mastdata that shows you the locations of the masts. It helps you to work out where you are likely to get a good signal.

You manage it in west Scotland? Interesting..

duncan_m

Visit site
Similar to Ryanroberts we use an industrial 4G router aptly named outdoor router, I also have a backup Rutx11 in case the other dies.

Main issues we have found are:
  • All round shelter - As mentioned at length above, if you're at anchor it's bummer when the wind changes and you need to move somewhere else because it becomes rolly. So you need to pick your spots. Think the big enclosed bays on the East of Menorca vs. pretty much anywhere in Ibiza/Palma for example;
  • Heat - It's probably too hot to work through the middle of the day July/Aug. If your work is flexible on time we found working early and late was good, had long lunches napping, swimming etc;

I'd agree on the thoughts about catamarans. They're more stable in a wider variety of conditions so probably better than a mono for what you're talking about.

We are currently wintering in a marina for the winter months. We work in IT jobs as well so try to focus on contract/freelance in the winter and sail in the summer.

The best route is to not mix your fun sailing time with work. Do the work time somewhere you can get your head down and then free yourself up to enjoy time sailing whether that be weeks or months...years ideally :)