Can I move my SeaKing wooden yacht to freshwater?

PuffinSK

Visit site
Can my wooden SeaKing 28 survive in freshwater rather than sea water? Do I need to do anything special to do this? Thanks

srm

Visit site
Welcome. I am surprised no one has responded yet as there is a wealth of experience on this forum. I have limited experience with wood boats but for what its worth here are my observations. Hopefully there will be more informed comments soon.

Way back around 1970 I sailed on a Linton Hope design that was launched in 1914, about 40ft, wood carvel construction with drop keel. For a few years she spent the winters on the river Cam in Cambridge and summers cruising in salt water. The owner did not bother with antifouling as the fresh water killed any growth from the summer and likewise any fresh water growth was lost soon after entering the North Sea.

Before the advent of GRP and other exotic hull materials most smaller boats on inland waterways were built of wood.

However, salt supposedly aids a resistance to rot in wood while fresh water in the bilges or elsewhere is generally regarded as aiding the growth of rot. Keeping a sound coating on all wood, the interior dry and well ventilated, and avoiding even small leaks should help preserve the boat.

Last edited:

PeterV

Visit site
Have a look at how many elderly wooden boats are still sailing on the Norfolk Broads. It should be fine.