Can anyone identify the location?

Jan Harber

Visit site
Thanks, I will check those.
There is a photo towards the end of the Harry Walters collection showing a paddle steamer in the New Cut. The skyline in the photo matches that in the painting and also shows the jetty in the bottom right foreground, where the lighter is moored in the painting. The church is there, plus various chimneys although I can’t make out any building with Dutch gable ends.

Leighb

Visit site
There is a photo towards the end of the Harry Walters collection showing a paddle steamer in the New Cut. The skyline in the photo matches that in the painting and also shows the jetty in the bottom right foreground, where the lighter is moored in the painting. The church is there, plus various chimneys although I can’t make out any building with Dutch gable ends.
Thanks, that is very helpful, I had started looking through the collections but hadn't yet spotted anything that seemed to match at all. I will look at the Harry walters collection now.

Leighb

Visit site
Jan,
Many thanks for spotting that. It does seem very likely. Do you think it would be worth while emailing the Trust with an image of the painting? They might find it of interest and may be able to confirm that it is of the New Cut?

Leighb

Visit site
A follow up,

I uploaded the picture to the IMT site and have had some very helpful correspondence with Fraser. He has found a photo from around 1890 which shows the Dutch style building on the New Cut side of Flint Wharf which also shows the old tower on the Cranfields site which corresponds with the tower in the painting. This pretty much confirms that the painting is of the New Cut looking upriver. The Dutch style building, and Cranfields tower have presumably been demolished at a later date.
It is good to be confidently say it is of New Cut.
Thanks to everyone for your contributions.

Wet Dock from Stoke Bridge.jpeg

Tomahawk

Visit site
Just as we romanticize the countryside. There is NO natural countryside in England, and precious little in Scotland and Wales. Our Bronze-Age ancestors cut down the forests using their shiny new axes, and things developed from there. The remnants of the forests went to build Nelson's Navy; barring one or two trees, the forests remaining are either second-growth or plantations! The mediaeval forests were very thoroughly managed either to provide good hunting ground or to produce wood for construction or fuel. If you live in East Anglia, you are very quickly aware that you live in the middle of a vast food-producing machine. Don't get me wrong - I think conservation is, in general, a Good Thing, but we need to be quite hard-headed about WHAT we are preserving. The natural state of the UK is a temperate rain-forest, such as that in Tasmania or New Zealand.

Oi you, what you up to? Are you after my job?
There is only room on the froum for one awkward sod who points out inconvenient facts.