Can anyone ID the harbour (or the paddle steamer)?

SaltIre

Visit site
Gosh!!!!o_O(y)
b44a6537b8d71c4f0fa636779a57a54a.jpg

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've looked on Streetview and GoF church tower is different...
Only a bit. Your picture:

orOvvqr.png

Gatehouse

oDmp8ch.png

Both have a semicircular arch over two semicircular topped openings, and both have a lumpy bit at each corner of the tower. Gatehouse has a wee spire, but that could easily have been added since. The tower was only added in 1896, so the picture would have to have been taken since then.

I have asked a pal of mine who live a couple of hundred yards from there if he can check. If not, I may go over myself and see if I can line things up right.

I'm far from being certain, but I think it's a possibility.

SaltIre

Visit site
Only a bit. Your picture:

orOvvqr.png

Gatehouse

oDmp8ch.png

Both have a semicircular arch over two semicircular topped openings, and both have a lumpy bit at each corner of the tower. Gatehouse has a wee spire, but that could easily have been added since. The tower was only added in 1896, so the picture would have to have been taken since then.

I have asked a pal of mine who live a couple of hundred yards from there if he can check. If not, I may go over myself and see if I can line things up right.

I'm far from being certain, but I think it's a possibility.
Thanks. I could be wrong, but I think mine has a clockface... It would be taken 1920-1930.
Here's a tower that another forumite identified as Stonehaven:
43edit.jpg
A clock and a barometer! Here:
Google Maps

Caraway

Visit site
I've got a higher resolution version that the forum won't accept for upload, and it looks as if there is weed floating or growing in the water - suggesting it is indeed non-flowing.

Edit...
Here it is, now on my serverspace:
54.jpg
Still waiting ......

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
View attachment 120039

This is Dun Laoghaire east pier - I presume that would be the one we don't see in the image. But why have large light buildings on both piers?
They were gun batteries.
Edit: In fact on zooming in, you can see the guns, as dark shapes on top of the fortification, facing to the right.

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
On the basis of very sketchy supposition, it could be Dun Laoghaire. The boat sailing might be a Ringsend trawler, and the end of the harbour wall is a little Dun Laoghaire-ish.
The building at the end of the pier looks a little like the battery on the end of Dun Laoghaire's East Pier, but the structure beyond is in the wrong position to be the West Pier. The sailing boat does look like a Ringsend trawler, but these were buit to the design of Brixham Trawlers :
Winter Talk – The Sailing Trawlers of Ringsend
Illustrated Lecture at CY&BC; - "The Sailing Trawlers of Ringsend"
The boat in the picture is not sailing. Though it has its main and mizzen raised, it shows no signs of making way. I have seen many photos of sailing trawlers of that period anchored or moored with their sails raised for some reason.

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I agree there feels to be something not quite UK about the feel of things. That bow too. The rig of the sailing boat may be a clue. On the other hand, one possibility to look at is the paddlesteamer fleet of the Great Eastern Railway, Great Eastern Railway - East Coast Local Services
Juxtaposing the '"..not quite UK " line of thinking with the idea that it might have been Dun Laoghaire, I must drop in a dollop of pedantry here, and say that said harbour ( known as Kingstown, at the time, to commemorate the visit by George IV), would have been in the UK at the time the photo was taken, (pre-1922), as evidenced by the Union Flag on the flagpole!

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
The East Pier is the one we do see in the image. The West pier does not have a lighthouse.

I have a problem with east and west. Leaving Dover I was told to go to the east entrance and call up port control. I went to the west and called them up. "An idiot", they probably thought. They were maybe right.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I've just had a closer look, and compared dgadee's pre-'22 image of Kingstown with Dun Laoghaire now, and can see that the lighthouse was outside the battery, and to the southwest of it, whereas it is now within it, in the part with the lower walls. The OP's photo appears to show the lighthouse in its modern position, therefore I would surmise that it is not Dun Laoghaire/ Kingstown.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I have a problem with east and west. Leaving Dover I was told to go to the east entrance and call up port control. I went to the west and called them up. "An idiot", they probably thought. They were maybe right.
I have a problem with Dun Laoghaire. For many years I couldn't figure out why they were called East and West, when to me they looked more like North and South. It eventually dawned on me that foot and end of the East Pier are both further east than the corresponding parts of the other one.

Dukester52

Visit site
Fairly sure that's Dover, looking West from the beach. You can see the customs house and the clocktower; the channel between the walls (pier and breakwater) to Granville(?) dock. The sailing vessel would be about where the new marina is now.