Can anyone ID the harbour (or the paddle steamer)?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've just found this in a pile of stuff from my late father. Not many clues, I'm afraid, but does anyone know where it was taken?

2zDfiLB.jpg

Fimacca

Visit site
Might be easier to ID the steamer. Then where did she ply her trade.
Five letters on the safety rings ?

They still have cranes left like that at Newport !!

Tranona

Visit site
Think you are right. Several heads looking astern, including one high on the stern maybe with binoculars.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Possibly Dover. The lighthouse near the mizzen of the ketch could be the end of the Prince of Wales pier and the Admirallty pier beyond with the crane. The paddle steamer looks like it may be using a beach based jetty for embarking passengers. Around the early 1900s?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Could be the 'Low Countries' , interesting to note the warp low down on the bows and the water displacement, is she going astern?
Think you are right. Several heads looking astern, including one high on the stern maybe with binoculars.
Since the pictures was taken from above and close, I wonder if she was acting as a tug. Rather more people on board than I'd expect from an actual tug, though.
Is there a Polish flag flying on the ensign staff? Or a company flag below an ensign?
polonia.jpg
I think it may be a pilot exemption flag, which is also white over red.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Possibly Dover. The lighthouse near the mizzen of the ketch could be the end of the Prince of Wales pier and the Admirallty pier beyond with the crane. The paddle steamer looks like it may be using a beach based jetty for embarking passengers. Around the early 1900s?
How about these buildings, top right? They look distinctive.
PUmfXKi.png

Praxinoscope

Visit site
As JumbleDuck points out the shot is taken close and above the deck level of the paddle boat, which raises the question of what was the photographer standing on to take the photo, could it be that the paddle steamer was was towing a sailing vessel and the photographer was in the rigging?

Ink

Visit site
Due to the poor turning abilities of paddle steamers (we've all heard of the difficulties the Waverly experiences) sometimes they have to reverse out of piers to get enough turning room. So I think she's just left a pier and that is her bow warp being hauled in.

Ink

Caraway

Visit site
Not much info in the image.

paddle.jpg

paddlebig.jpg

But it does look very similar to the Eppleton Hall, given that it changed much through its life. Funnel is a bit short and wheelhouse added later. Masts came and went.

eppletonhall16.jpg

The Sunderland Site Page 208

The Westoll Line had these funnel colours

westoll3.jpg

Last edited:

siwhi

Visit site
On the basis of very sketchy supposition, it could be Dun Laoghaire. The boat sailing might be a Ringsend trawler, and the end of the harbour wall is a little Dun Laoghaire-ish.

dgadee

Visit site
On the basis of very sketchy supposition, it could be Dun Laoghaire. The boat sailing might be a Ringsend trawler, and the end of the harbour wall is a little Dun Laoghaire-ish.
1628024516311.png

This is Dun Laoghaire east pier - I presume that would be the one we don't see in the image. But why have large light buildings on both piers?

Caraway

Visit site
If you look at a plan of Dun Laoghaire I don't see which perspective it could be taken from for a pier to obstruct the view of the outer pier as shown in the OP image.