Can an Eberspacher/Webasto exhaust exit vertically?

Kelpie

Visit site
I know that the standard exhaust for a heater is a skin fitting on the transom with a swan neck to reduce the chances of water getting into the heater. However I was wondering if there's anything in principle wrong with directing the exhaust up and out of the cabin top? I'm asking because I already have a fitting in place for an old drip feed heater which I have removed.
The only serious issue I can think of it that rain could get in, but just as with a drip feed heater it would be capped when not in use.
This would likely be a temporary situation only, as in the long run I want to do a proper installation, but don't have time right now, and SWMBO is threatening to cancel our upcoming cruise if we don't have some form of heating aboard!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Not all exit through the transom.

Our boat has a centre cockpit and the Eber exhaust exits sideways through the cockpit coaming. I did fit it with a swan neck loop going high up inside the coaming.

How about having an extension to screw in with a mushroom cap on to keep the rain out when it’s in use? With just a hole pointing upwards, I’d worry about the time it’s cold and raining stair rods.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
OMG. How can you guys sail in cold, wet weather?

That would be like standing under a cold shower tearing up £50 notes....

Kelpie

Visit site
Don't you have to be careful there is no path for the exhaust fumes to re enter the cockpit or cabin?

That sounds like a valid concern. For some reason I never worried about a coachroof exhaust on the drip feed heater- are they inherently a bit safer I wonder?

findus

Visit site
Not all exit through the transom.

Our boat has a centre cockpit and the Eber exhaust exits sideways through the cockpit coaming. I did fit it with a swan neck loop going high up inside the coaming.

How about having an extension to screw in with a mushroom cap on to keep the rain out when it’s in use? With just a hole pointing upwards, I’d worry about the time it’s cold and raining stair rods.

We have the same setup with the exhaust outlet having a threaded lid with an O-ring. It will be closed during the summer and comes off in the winter in the marina or anchoring.

chrishscorp

Visit site
OMG. How can you guys sail in cold, wet weather?

That would be like standing under a cold shower tearing up £50 notes....

Paid to dry out the beastie on friday and power wash the topsides and clean the hull ready for antifouling in the pouring rain, to have stopped to apply suncream every 10 minutes would have been suuuuuuuuuuuch a bind

CLB

Visit site
Don't you have to be careful there is no path for the exhaust fumes to re enter the cockpit or cabin?

Weberspastos emit such low levels of CO that you would struggle to kill yourself short of putting the exhaust in your mouth. Having said that, the smell might prove annoying, so worth considering.

Kelpie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, an exhaust on deck certainly opens up various options for locating the new heater.
My immediate plan is to replace the old bulkhead heater with the blown air one; this means reusing the same deck fitting for the chimney.
Longer term, I'm now wondering about putting it in a trunking that forms part of a bulkhead. It would be right next to the engine and batteries, and on the correct side of the boat to allow ducts to be run to the head and forecabin. The deck vent would be just in front of the sprayhood, to one side of the hatch garage. Any thoughts on likelihood of exhaust fumes being sucked back into the cockpit and cabin?