CalorGas - 4.5 Kg refill

Big John

Visit site
What do other boaters do to over come the lack of 4.5Kg bottles. Non of the marina's seem to have them? They just say they have had them on order for months but Calor never send any. I expect the excuse will be Covid.

Time Out

Visit site
What do other boaters do to over come the lack of 4.5Kg bottles. Non of the marina's seem to have them? They just say they have had them on order for months but Calor never send any. I expect the excuse will be Covid.

Garden centres! Independent at that. Try Chapmans in Twickenham

oldgit

Visit site
Camping International staff said they have loads of empty bottles, they did allow Calor to collect some empty 4.5K bottles., trouble was they never got any full ones back, so now are not returning any.
Do have a single full bottle under armed guard locked away .

Forget buying Rolexes/ Gold/ vintage cars invest your under the mattress cash in small blue bottles of Butane. ?
Rumours that Auctions are to be held soon.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
One of the coal supply boats on London canals has been hoovering up empty calor bottles by giving people £15 each for them.

It's actually quite easy to refill them from a larger bottle or even a Morrisons forecourt if you are organised enough.

Much cheaper than buying from Calor.

Big John

Visit site
I have only seen garages that have the Propane refill equipment for the Red cylinders. A refilling kit can be purchased to allow the Red cylinders to be filled. The equipment regulates the amount (litres) of gas to fill the cylinder and you pay by the litre.
I have never seen Butane (Blue) filling which most boats have. There are a few videos on Youtube showing an inverted large Butane cylinder being connected to a smaller cylinder by rubber hose. It did not look very safe as there was no over charging valve to ensure correct capacity.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
All the boats I have owned (about a dozen) have had the orange calor cylinders.

Never tried the blue ones but I don't think there is much difference in use other than the blue ones tending to freeze in cold conditions and the clip on regulators perhaps being more convenient.

Bran

Visit site
Always use the 3.9kg propane cylinders, not had any problems getting exchange full cylinders so far. Unfortunately Calor will not exchange an empty 4.5 butane for a full 3.9 propane at the moment. Maybe try Flogas if you cannot get a 4.5 from Calor.
A last resort and an expensive one is to buy a gaslow cylinder kit, very expensive at £150 but it is refillable at an lpg supply garage. The smallest cylinder is the same size as a 4.5 kg cylinder. These are used in camper vans. Need to check your local garage is ok with you filling these free standing as they are normally built into vans etc.
Gaslow Single Cylinder Kit

Other threads that may be of interest