Cabin Noise limit?

jamie N

Visit site
Hi, I'm currently in Malaysia working with an ROV on an Indian built tug. My cabin, which is fairly grotty anyway, considering it's a 5 year old vessel. It is very noisy when we're on DP, with general noise, and particularly bow thruster noise. The read out from my phone app indicates it constantly above 60dB's, and occasionally above 70dB's with the power turned up. The app does seem to be a reliable source as well, and is responsive.
For a cabin with a bunk, I'm trying to get a figure to throw at my client, to say that it's out of order and that they've got to address the issue; they're a major European oil company which isn't BP.
Any help will be very appreciated.

Last edited:

maxi

Visit site
Well, you are into the 'action' zone according to British H&S law, which presumably should also reflect similarly in European vessels. Perhaps you should google the noise regs & build a case around the advice found there.

Whilst I was at sea, long before the H&S tsars got to work, I had several ships where a steam winch was bolted through my cabin deck head, and we always worked cargo 24 hours per day, I used it hide away in the hospital for some sleep, so I have some empathy with you.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Hi, I'm currently in Malaysia working with an ROV on an Indian built tug. My cabin, which is fairly grotty anyway, considering it's a 5 year old vessel. It is very noisy when we're on DP, with general noise, and particularly bow thruster noise. The read out from my phone app indicates it constantly above 60dB's, and occasionally above 70dB's with the power turned up. The app does seem to be a reliable source as well, and is responsive.
For a cabin with a bunk, I'm trying to get a figure to throw at my client, to say that it's out of order and that they've got to address the issue; they're a major European oil company which isn't BP.
Any help will be very appreciated.

Depends on the flag and the Classification Society though they will all be close to IMO figures.

This is what DNV say and ABS is similar

https://exchange.dnv.com/publishing/rulesship/2011-01/ts512.pdf

Seems 60 is possibly quite an accurate reading :)

jamie N

Visit site
Many thanks Bilgediver, I'm still fighting with those b@st@ards about this, and am now about to start all over again on a new ROVSV/Tug!
Cheers.